talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2018

football forum

Kicks off tomorrow. I'll be at our game on Friday vs Oriente Petrolero. First leg is tomorrow in Bolivia and given its in Santa Cruz, no altitude to worry about. Not too optimistic for the upcoming year but I still expect to win this one.

First round

Universitario vs Oriente Petrolero

Macara vs Deportivo Tachira

Montevideo Wanderers vs Olimpia

Second Round

Macara/Tachira vs Santa Fe (C1)

Chapecoense vs Nacional (C2)

Oriente Petrolero/Universitario vs Jorge Wilstermann (C3)

Carabobo vs Guarani (C4)

Montevideo Wanderers/Olimpia vs Junior (C5)

Universidad Concepcion vs Vasco da Gama (C6)

Banfield vs Independiente del Valle (C7)

Santiago Wanderers vs Melgar (C8)

Third round

C1 vs C8

C2 vs C7

C3 vs C6

C4 vs C5

Group stage

Group A

Gremio

Defensor Sporting

Cerro Porteño

Monagas

Group B

Atletico Nacional

Bolivar

Colo-Colo

Delfin

Group C

Peñarol

Libertad

The Strongest

Atletico Tucuman

Group D

River Plate

Emelec

Flamengo

C1/C8

Group E

Cruzeiro

Universidad de Chile

Racing

C3/C6

Group F

Santos

Estudiantes

Real Garcilaso

C2/C7

Group G

Corinthians

Independiente

Millonarios

Deportivo Lara

Group H

Boca Juniors

Palmeiras

Alianza Lima

C4/C5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 3 favourites this year are Junior de Barranquilla, Boca Juniors and River Plate.

Junior have built a really strong team for the upcoming year. They reached the Sudamericana semi final last year and maintained most of those players. This includes Teo Gutierrez, Yimmi Chara, Alberto Rodriguez, Vladimir Hernandez and Jonathan Alvez. Its a REALLY strong side and they are my bet to win this competition.

Boca are a close second. I don't think Tevez will make a big impact but if they sign Christian Cueva, as well as resolve the whole Edwin Cardona and Wilmar Barrios issue, they will be a force to be reckoned with. They are Argentine champions after all.

River Plate with Lucas Pratto, Franco Armani who in my opinion is Argentina's number 1 keeper (better than Romero and Rulli), the same solid backline as usual. Juan Fernando Quintero as well as the growth of Nicolas de la Cruz. 

My dark horse is Cerro Porteño who always make a solid challenge.

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Really liked watching Samuel Sosa for Tachira (think he's got a move now)- think he could go on to be really good. Could see him getting a senior call up in the next couple of years 

He's at Talleres de Cordoba now. Yeah, Venezuela has a really bright future. Some of these U21 players are excellent.

Olimpia won 1-0 against Junior de Barranquilla and my favourites to win the tournament are one foot out of the tournament xD

Olimpia impressed me though. Roque Santa Cruz did his usual thing of scoring a goal out of nothing while Cuero was excellent on that right wing. I also liked the 2 center halves Patiño and Leguizamon. I thought they did well. As did goalkeeper Alfredo Ayala. Junior's best was Yimmi Chara. Everyone else was a bit underwhelming though.

Oriente Petrolero also lost 2-1 to Jorge Wilstermann in an all Bolivian clash. I think that's them out, as Jorge Wilstermann can now take it home and win in Cochabamba.

I can definitely see River Plate winning it. They have the best goalkeeper in South America (Armani) a proper forward in Pratto and a good playmaker in Juan Fernando Quintero. Keep him away from night clubs or regguetoneros and he'll do excellently.

• The topic was pinned
  • Administrator

should kick them out of the tournament

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42912299

Nacional criticised the "sick minds" of fans who taunted rivals Chapecoense about the plane crash which killed 19 of the club's players and staff.

During the teams' Copa Libertadores match on Wednesday, some fans of Uruguayan club Nacional made gestures referring to the crash in 2016.

In a statement, Nacional apologised, adding the incident was "horrendous" and brought a "deep sense of shame".

The South American Football Confederation is now investigating.

Nacional said it would support the investigation and hoped "those responsible receive the most severe penalties".

"Unfortunately, many sick minds channel their irrationality to sporting scenarios", the statement read.

"National made great efforts, as in general the clubs of the continent, to avoid such episodes.

"On behalf of the National Football Club, we express to the president our deepest sympathy and deep sense of shame. We urge you to accept our deepest apologies."

Nacional claimed a 1-0 win in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores tie, with the return match in Uruguay on 7 February.

Chapecoense, from Brazil, had been due to play in the final of the Copa Sudamericana when their plane crashed on its approach to Medellin in November 2016, killing 71 people.

Opponents Atletico Nacional asked for Chapecoense to be awarded the cup, which was awarded to three surviving players when the team played their first game after the crash.

An investigation later found human error was the cause of the disaster.

I'm Nacional in Uruguay, but I agree. That was unacceptable beyond belief.

I wouldn't kick them out but give those fans a ban. Not everyone is alike.

Ok buddy, you are entitled to it. You guessing that Armani is worse without seeing a second of either is a bit weird but hey. I'm not one to contradict myself 👍

I just said I do respect your opinion, but I don't believe you've seen either player to judge. There are only 3 members who I'd believe if they said they've seen more than 3 games of Armani and Rossi. That's Storts, El Loco and Berserker.

Don't try to guilt trip me as I very much live what I preach and I will continue to follow my philosophies :) 

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

What part of Teso watches the libertadores and the argie league??? I don't compare players unless I watch them regularly....you admitted to not watching the PL much(sporcle league) yet you claimed a Peruvian CB was better than most of the PL defenders??? How can you make such claim and not respect my opinion ??

I said I did :/ 

(more than twice too)

football forum
4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I'm being civil...I'm not the type of poster who calls others fucking morons when they don't agree with me.

Ive seen both of GKs and in my humble opinion, Rossi is the better gk and someone comes out and laughs at my opinion... Is that being civil?

The ''discussion'' was only going to go one way, I'm just reminding you, Brian and whoever else is in this thread to keep all discussion civil. After being something of a wooden spoon when you joined I actually think you're a decent member Teso, just don't let yourself get dragged down into moronic shite because you're better than it.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The ''discussion'' was only going to go one way, I'm just reminding you, Brian and whoever else is in this thread to keep all discussion civil. After being something of a wooden spoon when you joined I actually think you're a decent member Teso, just don't let yourself get dragged down into moronic shite because you're better than it.

I think you're being a bit paranoid mate, I was just having a bit of fun. I'm well past those days.

football forum
Just now, Blue said:

I think you're being a bit paranoid mate, I was just having a bit of fun. I'm well past those days.

Prove it then :).

As you were.

2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Jajaja ay hijo mio! You wish your team would put up a decent league run ! Armani the best GK? lol, Rossi is a much better GK, the numbers don't lie

Boca to win both the league(again) and the Copa libertadores.

It'd be a cold day in hell before that happens hijo mio. Armani is 2 steps up from Rossi.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived