talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Iñigo Martínez signs for Athletic Bilbao from Real Sociedad for €32m

Just now, Spike said:

It'd just be circumvented somehow by the club giving a 'loan' to the player to activate the release clause then writing the 'loan' off the books. I'm actually surprised the tax happy Spanish government did away with that ruling. 

The Spanish government is happy to turn a blind eye where it suits them mate.  Tax evasion in Spain goes all the way from the very top (and I mean the very top) right down to the everyman on the street which is why It’s always wound me up when so many complain about these things like there’s a line on an amount you possess where you’re no longer on an ethical plain to not contribute to what everyone uses.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The Spanish government is happy to turn a blind eye where it suits them mate.  Tax evasion in Spain goes all the way from the very top (and I mean the very top) right down to the everyman on the street which is why It’s always wound me up when so many complain about these things like there’s a line on an amount you possess where you’re no longer on an ethical plain to not contribute to what everyone uses.

Depends on the tax personally...

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Some taxes are plain gouging. 

On the subject of a footballer’s buy-out clause we’d be talking about a tax relevant VAT like you pay for goods because there’s an actual price placed on the player.

Where I’ve gone (which is also tax) is plain old income tax from individuals or businesses.

Just now, SirBalon said:

On the subject of a footballer’s buy-out clause we’d be talking about a tax relevant VAT like you pay for goods because there’s an actual price placed on the player.

Where I’ve gone (which is also tax) is plain old income tax from individuals or businesses.

I have no qualms with those taxes, even if they are just more subtle versions of 'mafia protection' (we take a slice, and we protect you, haha). It's the price to pay for the social contract, which really isn't asking too much. What I hate are those pesky laws that are unethical and designed to extract as much wealth as possible from people that have already payed their dues. For instance in the state of Illinois there is an 'inheritance tax'; meaning that if you were to decide to leave any belonging, whether it be a house, money, a business, a car, whatever it may be, something you've already been taxed on, the government will once again tax those goods on your death bed, before they are passed onto your surviviours. Criminal, it is criminal.

And toll roads, I fucking hate toll roads.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I have no qualms with those taxes, even if they are just more subtle versions of 'mafia protection' (we take a slice, and we protect you, haha). It's the price to pay for the social contract, which really isn't asking too much. What I hate are those pesky laws that are unethical and designed to extract as much wealth as possible from people that have already payed their dues. For instance in the state of Illinois there is an 'inheritance tax'; meaning that if you were to decide to leave any belonging, whether it be a house, money, a business, a car, whatever it may be, something you've already been taxed on, the government will once again tax those goods on your death bed, before they are passed onto your surviviours. Criminal, it is criminal.

And toll roads, I fucking hate toll roads.

I’m 100% with you on inheritance tax mate. That’s the main one (there’s a couple of others masked as something that isn’t apparently tax but it is that also grinds me up the wrong way) that properly messes me up.

So Real Sociedad have offered any fan that has any shirt going back to whatever season with Iñigo Martínez’ name on the back their money back or to change it for a brand new shirt with a current player’s name on the back.

La Real are also giving away for free all the shirts pre printed with Iñigo’s name and number and what they’ve done in the San Sebastián club shop is that they’ve left them outside in a basket even over night... Club sources say that every single one is still there in the basket outside the shop over the past two days and nights.  xD

On 2/2/2018 at 01:15, SirBalon said:

So Real Sociedad have offered any fan that has any shirt going back to whatever season with Iñigo Martínez’ name on the back their money back or to change it for a brand new shirt with a current player’s name on the back.

La Real are also giving away for free all the shirts pre printed with Iñigo’s name and number and what they’ve done in the San Sebastián club shop is that they’ve left them outside in a basket even over night... Club sources say that every single one is still there in the basket outside the shop over the past two days and nights.  xD

What a bloody prick. It isn't even a move up, it's a move sideways. I can understand from a certain perspective moving to a rival when there is money and glory on the line but this just further stagnates his career. Well done, Iñigo Martínez, your new team has one point more.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

What a bloody prick. It isn't even a move up, it's a move sideways. I can understand from a certain perspective moving to a rival when there is money and glory on the line but this just further stagnates his career. Well done, Iñigo Martínez, your new team has one point more.

In general Athletic Club Bilbao are a much much bigger club historically than La Real mate.  But you’re right... Right now it is a move sideways and their’s no way of reading it any other way.  Not only has he made a move sideways but also caused a hell of a lot of anger amongst the Real Sociedad fans.  Even I wasn’t expecting this but having read and listened to various issues surrounding the move it’s. I wonder this has occurred.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

£28,233,753.93

Very funny. What I meant is players are overpriced in England. You wouldn't get a decent player for that in England. Although I'm pretty certain you and @Spike knew what I meant  :D

Both sides(Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao) should be doing far better this season with the players they have and should be comfortably in the top 10 fighting for European spots. La Real also started very well and looked like a quality side, so it's surprising how far down they went. A 5-0 result for them this weekend might give them confidence in getting a run together, but they have struggled for some reason which is strange as everything was going well at the start. Maybe it's the extra games in the Europa league. In Athletic's case, it's the manager in my opinion and they need to find a more suitable man again, then they'd likely see vast improvements in terms of results.

10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Very funny. What I meant is players are overpriced in England. You wouldn't get a decent player for that in England. Although I'm pretty certain you and @Spike knew what I meant  :D

Well, seeing what that Van Dyke guy costed Liverpool, he'd cost about triple this price.

19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I was having a laugh mate. ;)

I already mentioned things relating to this in a thread about our signings at Arsenal and the issues surrounding acquiring the players we need.  What is our scouting system all about?

We needed and need a top quality centre-back (aside from a proper defensive midfielder) and here we had a situation with a player of the quality of Iñigo Martínez who’s price was what it was not because that’s what he’s worth in today’s market but because of the fact within his contract he had a €32m buy-out clause which Real Sociedad could do nothing about.

As @Berserker said, Liverpool paid £75m for mediocrity while Athletic Bilbao bought a top quality defender for just over £28m in Iñigo.

But you need look no further than Barcelona who bought Samuel Umtiti from French football for £30m and is now rated as the most valuable centre-back in the world... They (Barça) just bought in this January transfer window Yerri Mina for €30m who is very highly rated.

That’s called scouting!

So what do you tink?

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I already mentioned things relating to this in a thread about our signings at Arsenal and the issues surrounding acquiring the players we need.  What is our scouting system all about?

We needed and need a top quality centre-back (aside from a proper defensive midfielder) and here we had a situation with a player of the quality of Iñigo Martínez who’s price was what it was not because that’s what he’s worth in today’s market but because of the fact within his contract he had a €32m buy-out clause which Real Sociedad could do nothing about.

As @Berserker said, Liverpool paid £75m for mediocrity while Athletic Bilbao bought a top quality defender for just over £28m in Iñigo.

But you need look no further than Barcelona who bought Samuel Umtiti from French football for £30m and is now rated as the most valuable centre-back in the world... They (Barça) just bought in this January transfer window Yerri Mina for €30m who is very highly rated.

That’s called scouting!

So what do you tink?

Well to be fair it's not just arsenal it's England in general

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Well to be fair it's not just arsenal it's England in general

Yes indeed, but our manager has been the most vocal about over spending on over valued players and then this occurs.  This is why it becomes a particular issue that can be aimed particularly at us mate.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s called scouting!

So what do you tink?

It was more like 12 million euros for Mina mate, around 10 if speaking in £'s!

It's got to be said, that even though this current board have overpaid for Coutinho and Dembele, there have also been signings such as Umtiti for £22 million, Mina for £10.4 million, Ter Stegen for £9.3 million and Semedo for £26 million...these are very good prices in today's market.

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

It was more like 12 million euros for Mina mate, around 10 if speaking in £'s!

It's got to be said, that even though this current board have overpaid for Coutinho and Dembele, there have also been signings such as Umtiti for £22 million, Mina for £10.4 million, Ter Stegen for £9.3 million and Semedo for £26 million...these are very good prices in today's market.

I thought that there were add-ons that could take Mina’s transfer fee to that price but you may be right mate.

The reason we paid what we did for Dembélé and Coutinho is because they were signed in a mental market from high profile teams and that was the result.  Although in between is where we see the magnificent scouting process the club has with other names.

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yes indeed, but our manager has been the most vocal about over spending on over valued players and then this occurs.  This is why it becomes a particular issue that can be aimed particularly at us mate.

Well I would say.£60 million for Abamayang wasn't bad

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I thought that there were add-ons that could take Mina’s transfer fee to that price but you may be right mate.

The reason we paid what we did for Dembélé and Coutinho is because they were signed in a mental market from high profile teams and that was the result.  Although in between is where we see the magnificent scouting process the club has with other names.

It wasn't THE process was it? :ph34r:

There may be add-ons but in terms of the money straight up front, they were all the fees I found out by looking them up. Either way, they are great deals and this is more what you want to see more of from the club. In many ways you're cutting out the middle man, as Yerry could quite easily have gone somewhere such as Atletico, which would have meant him costing more in the future, or Umtiti could have gone to Arsenal first, again, significantly rising his fee in the future. By buying players young and directly from "smaller" clubs, you're cutting out the middle man and getting better prices.

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well I would say.£60 million for Abamayang wasn't bad

For sure if he returns to the form he had just over two years ago.  His status was damaged by a season and a half of mediocre football plus all the havoc he caused at BvB which reduced his value and made him almost unattainable for the Bundesliga club.  There are always alterior motives behind wavering prices with certain issues.  Take for example Özil... Nobody can say he hasn’t got a big status in the world of football and yet there were no bidders for him in terms of what his wages would mean to a buying club and that all comes down to what’s been on show while at Arsenal... Uncertainy in any market causes prices to either drop or create a lack of interest.

Archived