talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 - Serie A Relegation Battle Thread

football forum

Going into week 24 - it's time we start discussing those poor souls who will no longer grace us with their presence next year. As with most leagues with 20 teams, 40 points is goal for safe keeping. 

As of right now - Here are the main contenders. 

image.png.58c52d945e6ad3e0d8f9c1ea88d9d04b.png

Assuming one spot is already reserved for Benevento, that leaves 7 teams trying to avoid 2 spots. 

Here are the matches for the relegation battle. 

24^ Giornata
SPAL vs Milan 
Crotone vs Atalanta
Sassuolo vs Cagliari
Chievo
vs Genoa
Sampdoria vs Hellas Verona
Roma vs Benevento

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad week for the 3 bottom feeders, who all got handled this weekend. 

Genoa were the only ones in the Relegation Battle to get 3 points this weekend, and just 3 teams were even able to pick up points with a draw. 

Capture.PNG.9558745bb73c2f95586f6a6c8ef7366b.PNG

Wins by Genoa, Bologna, or Cagliari this weekend will likely have them moved off of this list as we get closer to the end of year. A lot of major matchups this weekend between relegation favorites. 

25^ Giornata
Chievo vs Cagliari
Genoa vs Internazionale
Benevento vs Crotone
Bologna vs Sassuolo
Napoli vs SPAL
Lazio vs Hellas Verona

Genoa have been superb recently. Fully expect them to be comfortably midtable by the end of the season. I expect them to give Inter a good game this weekend, they are far more inform than their opponents.

Having the three promoted teams in the bottom three and already a gap emerging is a horrible demonstration of the gap between even the bottom of Serie A and Serie B. Benevento are probably wishing this season could already be over.

18 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Genoa have been superb recently. Fully expect them to be comfortably midtable by the end of the season. I expect them to give Inter a good game this weekend, they are far more inform than their opponents.

Having the three promoted teams in the bottom three and already a gap emerging is a horrible demonstration of the gap between even the bottom of Serie A and Serie B. Benevento are probably wishing this season could already be over.

Benevento was on pace to not get 5 points until winning back to back matches. The fact that they are up in Serie A is a miracle so this surely isn't too surprising. Hopefully we get Parma and Palmero back. The third spot can go to someone new I'm fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 07:25, Cannabis said:

Good to see Crotone hanging in there, lovely part of the world and a footballing fairy-tale to be where they are. 

Benevento have had a horrendous season but lets not forget who they are.

Crotone missed a huge opportunity today.

Big wins for SPAL, Verona both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

seriea.PNG

Crotone had a huge win over Sampdoria today, both in terms of the relegation survival race as well as the result itself, being 4-1 victors which helps the goal-difference. 

Sassuolo and SPAL cancelled each other out. Verona beat Chievo but it only narrows the gap between themselves.

Cagliari were ever so close to a win over high-flying Lazio but an injury-time Immobile equaliser denied the 3 points which would have given them a bit of breathing space. Likewise an injury-time winner for AC Milan away at Genoa denied the hosts a valuable point, too.

Some interesting fixtures coming up in this battle at the bottom...

31st March - Genoa vs SPAL
3rd April - Genoa vs Cagliari, Chievo vs Sassuolo, 
8th April - Verona vs Cagliari
14th April - Genoa vs Crotone

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 23/04/2018 at 19:24, Dr. Gonzo said:

Cagliari's my favourite Italian side so I'm hoping they can survive the drop. They're on 33 points now.

tough 4 left.

Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Roma, Atalanta. All top half sides and all in with a shout of European football. I think they've got enough points on the board anyway but would be nice to collect a couple more to ensure safety. 

Just now, Stan said:

tough 4 left.

Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Roma, Atalanta. All top half sides and all in with a shout of European football. I think they've got enough points on the board anyway but would be nice to collect a couple more to ensure safety. 

Yeah and Cagliari have the added problem of being totally shite and playing against sides that have stuff to play for xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
20 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Benevento, it's been fun!

Their home game against Milan was one of the best stories of the season.

is that where the keeper scored?

even if not, what a moment that was. Lifelong memory made in that second of football. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived