talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Football

football forum

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mate it’s not unheard of for countries in a region to have influence in that region. The Saudi government has loads of influence in the Middle East and often pretends to speak for all Arab countries & simultaneously funds Arab proxies (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc).

And what Qatar did wasn’t arresting protestors in the streets, they were arresting fans at the stadiums of Iran matches for things like: displaying Iran’s old flag or banners that say Women, Life, Freedom.

And the Kish islands are Iranian & the UAE was trying to take them from Iran…

That's true about Saudi and them throwing their weight around, but they have been battling with Iran for control over the region for a while, that's no secret. The only difference being is that most of the Sunni Arab countries or sunni populations seem to welcome Saudi intervention. Although the shia groups probably don't welcome their intervention. There's no proof that Saudi Arabia have directly funded ISIS or Al-Qaeda, although it is true that they have funded Sunni separatist groups in Syria for example. They also fund sunnis in Lebanon and Iraq. But it would be a bit mad for them to back extremist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda, when these groups are theologically opposed to the set up of their Kingdom. Moreover, both ISIS and Al Qaeda have attacked Saudi Arabia in the past. So on a state level, I highly doubt they have supported these groups, there's no proof of it anyway. 

As for Qatar, well yeah, political protests at the stadiums are also not allowed. However, I am not aware of arrests made directly because of these banners. When I was working in the region, I went to a few matches and those waving the old Syrian flags saw their flags taken away from them and confiscated. But the people involved weren't arrested. Arrests would only really happen if the protestors kick up too much of a fuss, well that's from my experience.

I was not referring to Kish Island, I was referring to the Greater and Lesser Tunb Islands and the Abu Musa Island. I saw a documentary about this dispute several months ago now. The Islands were under the control of Arab sheikhs before Iran took them over. However, Iran claims that the islands are historically theirs. The islands are highly disputed between both countries.

In the latest matches, Saudi Arabia and Thailand are drawing 0-0 at half-time, with both sides playing mostly their reserves, as they've both qualified already. Although Saudi Arabia missed a penalty early on, as Radif missed his penalty in the 12th minute.

Saudi Arabia 0-0 Thailand at half-time

While Oman took a 9th minute lead against Kyrgyzstan, as Muhsen Al-Ghassani ran into the area and opened the scoring with a powerful shot that found the back of the net.

Kyrgyzstan 0-1 Oman at half-time

Edited by Michael

57 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's true about Saudi and them throwing their weight around, but they have been battling with Iran for control over the region for a while, that's no secret. The only difference being is that most of the Sunni Arab countries or sunni populations seem to welcome Saudi intervention. Although the shia groups probably don't welcome their intervention. There's no proof that Saudi Arabia have directly funded ISIS or Al-Qaeda, although it is true that they have funded Sunni separatist groups in Syria for example. They also fund sunnis in Lebanon and Iraq. But it would be a bit mad for them to back extremist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda, when these groups are theologically opposed to the set up of their Kingdom. Moreover, both ISIS and Al Qaeda have attacked Saudi Arabia in the past. So on a state level, I highly doubt they have supported these groups, there's no proof of it anyway. 

As for Qatar, well yeah, political protests at the stadiums are also not allowed. However, I am not aware of arrests made directly because of these banners. When I was working in the region, I went to a few matches and those waving the old Syrian flags saw their flags taken away from them and confiscated. But the people involved weren't arrested. Arrests would only really happen if the protestors kick up too much of a fuss, well that's from my experience.

I was not referring to Kish Island, I was referring to the Greater and Lesser Tunb Islands and the Abu Musa Island. I saw a documentary about this dispute several months ago now. The Islands were under the control of Arab sheikhs before Iran took them over. However, Iran claims that the islands are historically theirs. The islands are highly disputed between both countries.

Al Qaeda’s one of their proxy forces that had been fighting directly under Saudi leadership in their coalition for their involvement in Yemen, mate. There’s no question about Saudi control and involvement with Al Qaeda. Many of those groups in Syria they funded immediately took that funding and were absorbed by ISIS. And they’re all extremists that follow Wahhabism and Salafism that is spread directly through funding from Saudi Arabia. The absence of direct ties is just plausible deniability for the House of Saud.

In my experience most Arabs I’ve met don’t approve of their own governments or the Saudi government. But that’s often why they’ve lived in other Arab countries, rather than where they’re from, or simply left the Middle East. It’s not a great region for expressing thoughts about people having a say in what goes on in the governance of these countries. You’re not going to hear open criticism of governments in most of these countries…

As for Qatar’s treatment of Iranian fans - I’m not surprised you saw different treatment for Syrians than Iranians. As stated earlier, Qatar and Iran have very close ties and their governments have worked closely in recent times, especially when Qatari-Saudi relations got sour. These weren’t normal arrests in the World Cup, these people were handed to the IRI government handlers of Team Melli. The same people who threatened the families of players after the players refused to sing the national anthem when that was requested by Iranian protestors.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Al Qaeda’s one of their proxy forces that had been fighting directly under Saudi leadership in their coalition for their involvement in Yemen, mate. There’s no question about Saudi control and involvement with Al Qaeda. Many of those groups in Syria they funded immediately took that funding and were absorbed by ISIS. And they’re all extremists that follow Wahhabism and Salafism that is spread directly through funding from Saudi Arabia. The absence of direct ties is just plausible deniability for the House of Saud.

In my experience most Arabs I’ve met don’t approve of their own governments or the Saudi government. But that’s often why they’ve lived in other Arab countries, rather than where they’re from, or simply left the Middle East. It’s not a great region for expressing thoughts about people having a say in what goes on in the governance of these countries. You’re not going to hear open criticism of governments in most of these countries…

As for Qatar’s treatment of Iranian fans - I’m not surprised you saw different treatment for Syrians than Iranians. As stated earlier, Qatar and Iran have very close ties and their governments have worked closely in recent times, especially when Qatari-Saudi relations got sour. These weren’t normal arrests in the World Cup, these people were handed to the IRI government handlers of Team Melli. The same people who threatened the families of players after the players refused to sing the national anthem when that was requested by Iranian protestors.

Al Qaeda is not part of the coalition and there is no proof to suggest that Al Qaeda are fighting directly under the Saudi leadership. Saudi Arabia and Iraq have been fighting and arresting loads of suspected terrorist extremists linked to terrorist organisations like ISIS and Al Qaeda, so why on earth would they be funding them? Moreover, Saudi Arabia and the coalition have carried out operations against Al Qaeda in Yemen Al Qaeda have carried out attacks against Saudi Arabia in the past, they even want the overthrow of the Saudi regime, as Al Qaeda are an Islamist organisation. How would Saudi Arabia be supporting Al Qaeda, when they've attacked each other and with Al Qaeda holding a huge threat to the Saudi ruling regime? There is no proof for this at all.

It's true that Saudi Arabia funded sunni rebel groups in Syria. Some of them being absorbed by ISIS which appeared later, was something that the Saudi government clearly could not have foreseen. It's true that Saudi Arabia fund the spread of Salafism, but then again from speaking to muslims, they tell me that most sunni muslims around the world consider themselves as Salafis. So that would actually be most muslims. Most muslims do not behave in an extremist way, it's only a small minority who have a warped way of thinking. 

I think the opinions of the Arabs I've spoken to vary, depending on the country they are from. Most Syrians I have met hate the Asad regime, but then again that's probably why they are here in the UK, the same applies to most Iraqis and Yemenis. It's mixed with Egyptians with some hating their country, while others praising it. But as for Jordanians, Saudis, Kuwaitis, Emiratis and Qataris they all seem to be happy with their country. Not completely happy of course, but happy enough. Not including Jordan, but the other Gulf states provide their citizens with a good lifestyle and a decent standard of living.

It's true that no country in the whole of the Middle East likes it when their citizens criticize the governments too much, but then again, these countries aren't democracies, they are monarchies. Kuwait from my understanding is the most democratic in the region, where citizens can pretty much openly criticize most things to do with the government. Furthermore, there are regions much worse when it comes to freedom of expression, most of Africa and Asia are much harsher on citizens if they step up to complain against the ruling regimes. At least most of the citizens in the Gulf Arab states are in the main happy with their life and what their country provides for them.

Regarding the Iranian fans who protested at the World Cup in Qatar, I have not read or heard about them being handed over to pro-Iranian regime supporters by the Qatari authorities. But what I do know, is that there were occasions where the protesting Iranian fans were attacked by other Iranian fans who were pro the Iranian regime. Alleged Iranian government supporters also harassed the protesting Iranian fans according to reports I read. But as far as the Qatari authorities are concerned, all I know is that they on some occasions seized t-shirts, flags and other things that expressed support for the protest movement. If you can provide any proof against all that I have said, I will be more than happy to reconsider my opinion.

Saudi Arabia and Thailand ended up drawing in a goal-less match, with both sides playing their reserves. The Saudis controlled most of the match, but both sides will be fine with the draw, as they have both qualified for the next round.

Saudi Arabia 0-0 Thailand

Oman who lead Kyrgyzstan 1-0 at half-time, dominated their match against their central Asian rivals. The Oman side created a flurry of chances to score, but couldn't add to their 1st half goal. They would pay for this, as a mistake and mix-up in defence between the Omani keeper and defender, gave Kyrgyzstan a soft goal late in the match. Oman surprisingly get knocked out of the competition, which they will be distraught about, as they were touted as a dark horse for this competition. As a result, their manager Ivankovic was immediately sacked after this match.

Oman 1-1 Kyrgyzstan

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Jordan score two stoppage time goals to beat Iraq 3-2. Surprise result @Michael

Yeah, I watched the match and yeah, it is a kind of surprise since Iraq were the favourites. But Jordan are a very organised and tough side and their star player Al-Tamari was excellent. It wasn't just him though, some of Jordan's other offensive players like Olwan and Al-Naimat played very well also. But Iraq were the side controlling the possession for most of the match, despite the dangerous counter attacks from Jordan. 

Jordan took the lead after a poor pass gave away possession in a dangerous area that gave Al-Naimat the opportunity to run on in at goal and he finished well when one on one with the Iraqi keeper to give Jordan the lead. But Iraq showed character, creating several chances before they equalised with a header by Saad Natiq. Aymen Hussein then shot home the goal that gave Iraq the lead, but he was shockingly sent off for over celebrating. That sending off gave Jordan the initiative for the remaining quarter of an hour of the match left. Jordan duly managed to score 2 goals deep in injury time through Al-Arab and Al-Rashdan to claim the surprise win. 

Jordan have a very well organised side and in Al-Tamari they have one of the best players in the whole competition, perhaps the best so far. Olwan and Al-Naimat both play well with him when Jordan attack. But I think that Iraq had a bigger chance to win the Asian Cup had they gotten past Jordan. Lets see if the Jordan national team can prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1

Uzbekistan beat Thailand 2-1 today, Fayzullaev scored the winning goal from a shot on the turn outside the area. Fayzullaev has looked one of Uzbekistan's best players in this competition.

Uzbekistan 2-1 Thailand

Iran beats Syria after a 1-1 draw on penalties. Taremi scored but also got a red card.

I don't think Iran's got a chance against Japan without Taremi. Would be pretty happy with Japan getting knocked out though, for selfish reasons, because then we get Endo back at Liverpool. But also would be pretty happy with Japan knocking out the team and there being one less propaganda source for the IR.

In the last 16 matches Australia thrashed Indonesia 4-0. An own goal by Baggot gave Australia the lead, but then goals from Martin Boyle, Craig Goodwin and Harry Souttar completed the rout for Australia.

Australia 4-0 Indonesia

The UAE and Tajikistan drew 1-1, as Khanonov gave Tajikistan the lead, only for Al-Hammadi to equalise for the UAE. The match then went to extra time and penalties. Tajikistan eventually won the penalty shoot-out 5-3 to advance to the next round.

Tajikistan 1-1 UAE

As mentioned before, Jordan defeated Iraq 3-2 in probably the most entertaining match of the last 16. Al-Naimat gave Jordan the lead, before Iraq fought back hard and scored 2 goals to make it 2-1 for Iraq. Natiq and Aymen Hussein were the scorers for Iraq, but Hussein was sent-off for over celebrating his goal. Jordan with the 1 man advantage then managed to equalise deep in injury time through Al-Arab and then Al-Rashdan fired in the winning goal from outside the area only 2 minutes later to send Jordan through to the quarter finals.

Jordan 3-2 Iraq

Qatar beat Palestine 2-1 in their match. Palestine took a surprising lead in the 1st half through Dabbagh. But Qatar's Al-Haydos equalised and then in the 49th minute, a penalty goal by Akram Afif gave Qatar the lead. Qatar would hold on and secure the vital win that sends them to the quarter finals.

Qatar 2-1 Palestine

Uzbekistan beat Thailand 2-1, as Uzbekistan's Turgunboev scored to give them the lead in the 1at half. However Thailand managed to equalise in the 2nd half through Sarachat. But Uzbekistan retook the lead just 7 minutes later as Fayzullaev scored with a shot on the turn. Uzbekistan would hold on to win and advance to the quarter finals.

Uzbekistan 2-1 Thailand

In the match between the 2 Asian powerhouses, Saudi Arabia and South Korea would draw 1-1.  Although there were no goals in the 1st half, it was right at the start of the 2nd half that Saudi Arabia would take the lead. Saudi striker Radif was put through on goal by a lovely pass and Radif made no mistake as he slotted the ball past the keeper and into the far corner of the net to give Saudi Arabia the lead. However, South Korea found the equaliser through a Cho Gue-sung header in the 9th minute of injury time. That would be the last action before the extra-time period. The match eventually went to penalties and South Korea would win the shoot-out 2-4 and move into the quarter finals.

Saudi Arabia 1-1(2-4 on penalties) South Korea

Japan would beat Bahrain 3-1, as Ritsu Doan gave Japan the lead in the 31st minute. Kubo would add a 2nd goal, before an own goal by Ueda would pull a goal back for Bahrain. But Ueda would then go and score Japan's 3rd goal to seal an important win for Japan.

Bahrain 1-3 Japan

Iran drew 1-1 with Syria in their match. A Taremi penalty goal would give Iran the lead in the 34th minute, but Syria would equalise from a penalty of their own, as Khribin scored for them. Taremi got sent off right at the end of the match in injury time and the match would eventually go to penalties. It was Iran that prevailed in the penalty shoot-out as they won 5-3 on penalties.

Iran 1-1(5-3 on penalties) Syria

Edited by Michael

The Australia v South Korea match was another really entertaining match. The two top Asian region sides battled it out in a tough encounter. Australia scored first when Craig Goodwin powerfully volleyed home a cross at the far post to give Australia the lead in the 1st half. South Korea would find the equaliser deep into injury time at the end of the match, as Son Heung-min was brought down in the penalty area and the referee awarded a penalty. Hwang stepped up and hammered the penalty into the net to equalise for the Koreans. The match went into extra time and a superb free-kick goal by Son Heung-min would secure the win for South Korea.

South Korea move into the semi-finals having beaten two Asian powerhouses in Saudi Arabia and Australia to get. there. In both matches they were a goal down for most of the match, before finding an equaliser deep into injury time. Against Saudi Arabia the South Koreans would go on to win on penalties and against Australia, some Son magic from a free-kick would give them the winning goal. They have had a very tough route and they have shown a lot of character to come back in their matches when the odds looked against them. In Son Heung-min, Hwang Hee-chan and Lee Kang-in they have some very talented players. South Korea are the team I want to win this competition now. It would also be nice to see Klinsmann and his backroom staff of Herzog and Kopke also win this trophy with South Korea.

Australia 1-2 South Korea

In the other quarter final, Jordan defeated Tajikistan 1-0. A header from Jordan's defender Nasib came off of the Tajikistan player and found itself into the back of the net to give Jordan the lead. Jordan had the better chances in the match and they deservedly earned the win. Al-Tamari, Naimat and Olwan were all as dangerous as ever up front and this Jordan side can be a real threat to any team in Asia. They have made history for themselves by advancing to the semi-finals.

Tajikistan 0-1 Jordan

In the last of the quarter finals Qatar beat Uzbekistan on penalties after drawing 1-1. Al Haydos gave Qatar the lead in the 1st half, but an accurate finish from Hamrobekov in the 2nd half, levelled the scores for Uzbekistan in the 2nd half. The match eventually went to penalties after extra time and Qatar prevailed 3-2 in the shoot-out over Uzbekistan to advance to the semi-finals.

Qatar 1-1(Qatar won 3-2 on penalties) Uzbekistan

In the other quarter final, Iran took on Japan. Japan took the lead in the 1st half through a nice solo goal by Morita. But Iran would equalise in the 2nd half through an accurate finish from Mohebi. Deep into the 6th minute of injury time at the end of the match, Iran were awarded a penalty, which Jahanbaksh scored from to give Iran the late win.

Iran 2-1 Japan

In the semi-finals, Jordan faced South Korea in the first match. Jordan deservedly took the lead at the start of the 2nd half as Al-Tamari superbly put Al-Naimat through on goal and Al-Naimat chipped the ball over the Japanese keeper to score for Jordan. Then Jordan's star player Al-Tamari scored himself with arguably the goal of the tournament. Al-Tamari took possession well in Jordan's own half, he then went on a mazy run past several Japanese players, he skipped past a tackle and then shot from outside the Japanese penalty box with an accurate finish that found the corner of the net. Al-Tamari's goal made it 2-0 to Jordan and that's how the match would finish. Jordan sealed their place in the final of the Asian Cup for the very first time in their history.

Jordan 2-0 Japan

Qatar took on Iran in the other match of this stage and Iran took an early lead as Azmoun scored with a clever overhead kick. Qatar would equalise soon after that goal though, as a Gaber shot from outside the area took a deflection and found the back of the net. Qatar would turn the match around just before half-time as Akram Afif scored with a lovely strike. Afif took possession of the ball just outside the Iranian penalty area, he cut inside and unleashed a rocket of a shot towards the far post that the Iranian keeper had no chance of saving. Afif's goal meant that Qatar went into half-time with a lead. However, Iran were awarded a penalty in the 2nd half and Jahanbaksh scored from the penalty to level the scores at 2-2. But Qatar would have the last say, as Almoez Ali collected the ball in the penalty area, spun and shot at goal with an accurate finish that found the bottom hand corner of the net. That goal gave Qatar a 3-2 lead and that's how the match finished.

Qatar 3-2 Iran

Well Qatar defeated Jordan 3-1 in the final in the end. Qatar got a penalty after Akram Afif was brought down in the area and it was Afif himself who got up and scored from the penalty. Jordan equalised in the 2nd half, after Al-Naimat with his first touch, controlled a cross to him with his right foot and then smashed the ball into the net with his second touch which was with his left foot. But Qatar were awarded their 2nd penalty after Ismael Mohammed was brought down in the penalty area and Akram Afif stepped up once again and struck the penalty home beautifully to score his and Qatar's 2nd goal of the match, which put them in the lead once again. Then in injury time, Afif was brought down in the penalty area by the Jordanian keeper and Qatar were awarded their 3rd penalty. Afif duly stepped up and scored his 3rd penalty goal of the match to complete his hattrick and seal the win for Qatar. So Qatar defended their title and are Asian Cup winners once again.

Qatar 3-1 Jordan