talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jan Oblak - Chelsea looking to activate €100m buy-out clause

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Hasn't Courtois just come out again and said he wants a move? Have Chelsea got a suitable replacement yet? I would imagine this would be a good swap but I can't see Atletico letting go of one of their best players.

It's happened before with Costa and Luis. 

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

So in other words, you will sell him back there for a cheap price in 2 years? :ph34r:

Madrid must be a special city. Personally hope Courtois gets megged by Messi on every occasion. 

I'd rather give Bulka a go then go after Butland. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

The last I heard was that once Griezmann committed to Atleti that Oblak stopped listening to any suitors which at the time were Liverpool as can be seen in the early posts on this thread. 

I heard we were interested, but Atletico refusing to budge on the price of his release clause being met... and that meaning we'd have to pay in 1 lump sum scared us off. I suspect if a club pays that King's ransom in one lump sum, they'll get him.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I heard we were interested, but Atletico refusing to budge on the price of his release clause being met... and that meaning we'd have to pay in 1 lump sum scared us off. I suspect if a club pays that King's ransom in one lump sum, they'll get him.

He would obviously want to leave for that to happen via the activation of the release clause. But Atleti would probably push him to leave if anyone was prepared to pay that amount for a goalkeeper no matter how good he is. You don’t need the best keeper to win something while that amount of money sorts out making you even stronger. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He would obviously want to leave for that to happen via the activation of the release clause. But Atleti would probably push him to leave if anyone was prepared to pay that amount for a goalkeeper no matter how good he is. You don’t need the best keeper to win something while that amount of money sorts out making you even stronger. 

I imagine any club that's paying that much up front would offer Oblak ridiculous wages. And I know Atletico are a big club in Spain, but I think the only Spanish clubs that can match what our top 6 pay in wages are Real Madrid and Barcelona. I imagine Oblak would take the chance to move for a big fat increase in the pay packet he takes home, they've got short careers and kids and shite to worry about - why not milk that short career for what you can? And I also agree, Atletico would probably be very happy to push him out and for that money they could sign another good keeper as a replacement.

Just now, Harvsky said:

€100m for someone to take goal kicks and move on back passes against Brighton & Hove Albion.

They should give us half that and we'll give them Simon Mignolet, bronze medal holder in the 2018 World Cup. Can't argue with that kind of pedigree :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know Atletico are a big club in Spain, but I think the only Spanish clubs that can match what our top 6 pay in wages are Real Madrid and Barcelona.

It's not that way anymore mate... Griezmann was offered quite a bit more by Atleti to renew than Barcelona were willing to pay him although Barça obviously had the ability to pay him more. Atlético Madrid now pay Antoine Griezmann €26m a season!!!

Obviously Atleti had to stretch themselves to pay Griezmann that amount in wages but that amount would be a stretch for any of the elite clubs.

if there were and increase in Oblak's wages I don't think it would be that far off anything Atlético Madrid would be willing to offer him if they feel they can't replace him adequately. 

But the real question here (if it actually exists as this is a rumour right now) is IF Atlético Madrid would just say yeah, go on then, move and if you don't, let me see if I can convince you by telling you I'm not willing to pay a keeper that much in wages just so as to get €100m for a goalkeeper.  Prices have indeed gone through the roof, but that money (or anything resembling that) for a keeper is absolutely mental.  I can't say the same for Arsenal but if a club were to pay €100m for Ter Stegen, as much as I rate him and think he's unbelievable, I'd want the club to sell him with their eyes closed because it's a joke, but a nice joke to be on the receiving end off and not the paying one.

As for buying after you've sold for €100m... You know as well as I do mate that suddenly any interest you generate in the immediate time (i.e. That transfer window) becomes a rip-off in terms of what they ask from you for anything just resembling decent.

It's a conundrum!

Oh, one other thing... Just in case people don't know.  When you activate a buy-out clause, you are FORCED to pay the whole amount in one lump sum.  That's how it works seeing as the owning club doesn't want to sell and is directing you to their buy-out clause which bypasses negotiations and buys the contract out.

So the reason why this particular rumour connecting Chelsea with activating  Oblak’s buy-out clause was because they’d (journalists) spotted Chelsea board members going into a meeting two days ago at the LFP headquarters. The only reason a foreign club would have a meeting at the LFP is to apply for a player’s federative football license... But they speculated on the wrong name! 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived