talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Eric Abidal replaces Robert Fernández as Barça technical director

15283827840153.jpg

Eric Abidal ex-Barça left-back takes over the position of technical director for football in charge of contracts and signings from Robert Fernández.  Latest news just filtered in and explains why Robert Fernández left Paris in a hurry after renewing Samuel Umtiti two nights ago.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the thing...

I've always thought that people on here got confused when I've commented on either a head coach or a manager.  There's a massive difference between the two.  A manager is the ancient style that in Europe stopped being used over two decades ago or more.  Managers are old school, managers were the ones that not only were in charge of selection and the daily running of a team but also identified and practically signed new players and decided on whether or not a player would have their contract renewed and how much for. 

Football now has a technical director which is in charge of all that and trained in the art of this part of running a football club.  The head coach is in charge of the football team he has been provided with and nothing more other than his opinion which will be asked when the technical director has options in front of him.

Thats why when Wenger left, my thread had "manager leaves, head coach arrives" in no certain terms.

It's one of the most important jobs in football. Monchi is probably the most famous of them all in current times and for example Carles Puyol has been learning the art for the past two years roaming the world of football.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This is the thing...

I've always thought that people on here got confused when I've commented on either a head coach or a manager.  There's a massive difference between the two.  A manager is the ancient style that in Europe stopped being used over two decades ago or more.  Managers are old school, managers were the ones that not only were in charge of selection and the daily running of a team but also identified and practically signed new players and decided on whether or not a player would have their contract renewed and how much for. 

Football now has a technical director which is in charge of all that and trained in the art of this part of running a football club.  The head coach is in charge of the football team he has been provided with and nothing more other than his opinion which will be asked when the technical director has options in front of him.

Thats why when Wenger left, my thread had "manager leaves, head coach arrives" in no certain terms.

It's one of the most important jobs in football. Monchi is probably the most famous of them all in current times and for example Carles Puyol has been learning the art for the past two years roaming the world of football.

Football Head Coach 2019 doesn't have the same ring to it.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

what does the Technical Director even do? What are they responsible for?

If you read the first post...

12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

15283827840153.jpg

Eric Abidal ex-Barça left-back takes over the position of technical director for football in charge of contracts and signings from Robert Fernández.  Latest news just filtered in and explains why Robert Fernández left Paris in a hurry after renewing Samuel Umtiti two nights ago.

Archived