• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Potential World Cup Hosts

football forum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ASF said:

I hope your bid wins, as it would be only fitting that the 100th anniversary is played where everything started.

Personally, I hope we don't host a joint WC with Spain. Not if it's under the same conditions of the last bid for 2018, where about 1/3 of the game would have been in Portugal and the rest in Spain. The opening and the final would have also been in Spain.

Same way, the North America bid for 2026 is a joke. Canada and Mexico only get 10 games each, and the remaining 60 games in the US? Laughable. 

Not having the final at Azteca is the worst part of it. 

@Berserker, I heard you were thinking about inviting Porto Alegre as a host. But this would be such an unpopular decision that I doubt any sane politician would take part. We´ve had enough of FIFA. Never again. World Cup is like a wedding, it´s good when you were invited without the burden of paying the bill and organizing it. xD

24 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Not having the final at Azteca is the worst part of it. 

@Berserker, I heard you were thinking about inviting Porto Alegre as a host. But this would be such an unpopular decision that I doubt any sane politician would take part. We´ve had enough of FIFA. Never again. World Cup is like a wedding, it´s good when you were invited without the burden of paying the bill and organizing it. xD

Haha, haven't heard about that. But Porto Alegre shares a lot of similarities to us so it wouldn't be too shocking-

36 minutes ago, ASF said:

I hope your bid wins, as it would be only fitting that the 100th anniversary is played where everything started.

Personally, I hope we don't host a joint WC with Spain. Not if it's under the same conditions of the last bid for 2018, where about 1/3 of the game would have been in Portugal and the rest in Spain. The opening and the final would have also been in Spain.

Same way, the North America bid for 2026 is a joke. Canada and Mexico only get 10 games each, and the remaining 60 games in the US? Laughable. 

Hope so too. Well 8 of the venues would be here then Uruguay and Paraguay would get 2 each. How many 40k stadiums does Portugal have, 2,3,4?, perhaps giving either the opening or final to Portugal would have been good but otherwise you would have to build 2 or 3 stadiums more and then they would be underused after the WC.  North America is another matter, think Mexico and US should have about 30 each and the remaining for Canada.

5 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Haha, haven't heard about that. But Porto Alegre shares a lot of similarities to us so it wouldn't be too shocking-

Hope so too. Well 8 of the venues would be here then Uruguay and Paraguay would get 2 each. How many 40k stadiums does Portugal have, 2,3,4?, perhaps giving either the opening or final to Portugal would have been good but otherwise you would have to build 2 or 3 stadiums more and then they would be underused after the WC.  North America is another matter, think Mexico and US should have about 30 each and the remaining for Canada.

3. And it's like you said, if we build 2/3 more stadiums of that capacity they would be underused, after the tournament, just like it happened to some of the stadiums built for the Euro 2004.

For me, hosting a tournament with someone else has to be like Belgium/Netherlands and Korea/Japan. Opening in one country, final in the other and the games distributed equally. 

3 minutes ago, ASF said:

3. And it's like you said, if we build 2/3 more stadiums of that capacity they would be underused, after the tournament, just like it happened to some of the stadiums built for the Euro 2004.

For me, hosting a tournament with someone else has to be like Belgium/Netherlands and Korea/Japan. Opening in one country, final in the other and the games distributed equally. 

Sometimes it's not possible, specially when one or more of the countries are too small. If the two countries were similar then yeah, that should be the way.

Archived