talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Swimming

football forum

Just started swimming again. Use to swim quite alot. Didn't start young enough to do it competitively. Does anyone else on here swim regularly?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.81cf1edc72a91dbf64c7e2c97884eccd.png

World Aquatics Championships: Adam Peaty wins 100m breaststroke gold

download.png.fb8934442b7b5f94ffe5b1121c34fb02.png

Great Britain's Adam Peaty has won the 100m breaststroke at the World Championships in South Korea - his third successive gold in the event.

The 24-year-old clocked 57.14 seconds to comfortably beat compatriot James Wilby, with China's Yan Zibei in third.

Peaty is unbeaten in five years over the distance in major competitions and will compete in the 50m on Tuesday.

The semi-final saw him break his own world record, becoming the first man to swim the event in under 57 seconds.

He aimed to beat Sunday's record-breaking time but said he was still "over the moon" with 57.14.

"I had to be a better version of myself. Unfortunately, I made a tiny little mistake on that first length, trying to force the speed a bit too much," he said.

"But the most important lesson is I'm still learning. It's not like I've gone 56 and never have to learn again.

"I'm always learning, always trying to improve and that's the most important thing we can have going into the Olympics next year."

The Briton has set the 15 best times in the 100m breaststroke and has become the first male swimmer to achieve a trio of world titles in the event.

Peaty previously shared the record of two 100m world titles with American Brendan Hansen and Hungary's Norbert Rozsa.

Monday's performance means he has also become the first man to win five world championship medals in breaststroke events.

He recently revealed he practises "active meditation" to aid his mental health after suffering a dip following his gold-medal-winning performance in the 100m breaststroke at Rio 2016 and has since backed mental health campaigns.

Wilby, who qualified in third place behind Zibei, achieved his first world medal, clocking 58.46.

Peaty broke his first 100m world record in 2015 at the British Championships, with his time of 57.92, making him the first man to swim the distance in under 58 seconds.

Elsewhere, Britain's Luke Greenbank knocked two-tenths of a second off his personal best with a 53.75 swim in the 100m backstroke semi-final.

Molly Renshaw also smashed her personal best for the second time on Monday with a time of 1.06.73 effort to qualify for the women's 100m breaststroke final.

Duncan Scott is into the 200m freestyle final on Tuesday, but compatriot James Guy missed out on a place in the same event.

Britain's Ben Proud failed to defend his world title, finishing seventh in the 50m butterfly final.

Siobhan-Marie O'Connor finished seventh in the women's 200m individual medley - which was won by Hungary's Katinka Hosszu - and Georgia Davies missed out on a place in the women's 100m backstroke final after a 12th-place finish in the semi-final.

Meanwhile, Australian swimmer Mack Horton publicly reignited his feud with Chinese rival Sun Yang, years after accusing him of being a "drug cheat".

Sun pipped Olympic champion Horton to claim gold in the 400m freestyle on Sunday.

Horton later refused to share the medal podium with Sun - who has faced fresh claims of violating doping protocols.

Analysis

You can't see where or why he's going to slow down. From where he won his first world title as a teenager, physically he will have changed so much and he has certainly got bigger.

You can't get much bigger or much stronger but the experience that he has and how he can swim his races: you look and think 'if I can just tweak a little bit there' - he was out a tiny bit quicker and paid for it in the closing stages - you're just tweaking those little bits and you think those barriers are there to be broken each time by making tiny little margins of difference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/49072176

• Subscriber

Got back into swimming in pools again two weeks ago and now headed on a snorkeling and diving trip this coming Friday so quiet excited. Will be doing it more regularly once I am back just haven't had the time with work.

• 2 years later...

Archived