talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marcelo Bielsa and Kemar Roofe Win Monthly Awards

Leeds United striker Kemar Roofe has been named the Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month for August.

Roofe has spent his career to date flitting between midfield and attack, but showed his future is as a striker, performing impressively as a frontman. Technically sound in the air and on the ground, he managed four goals and two assists.

Roofe said: "It has all stemmed from our pre-season. It has been the best pre-season I have had so far - the hardest - and the style of play that Marcelo is giving us and educating us with is obviously showing. The style of play with the ball, without the ball, our fitness and off the pitch as well, every day he's educating us on how to be better people as well.

"I feel like I can express myself a bit more. I am playing in a position where I can show what I can actually do and also the team plays to my strengths as well and also to everyone else's strengths. We are not doing something we're not capable of doing."

Sky Sports' EFL pundit Don Goodman said: "Roofe had a good season last year, but looks to have been transformed by the pre-season that Bielsa took the team through. He contributed not only with his four goals, nearly a third of the league goals he scored in the entirety of last season, but his link-up play, with two assists.''

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa has been named the Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month for August.

The Argentine has made an exceptional start at Elland Road, with six unbeaten games yielded 14 points and took them top.

Goodman said: "What an impact Bielsa has made at Leeds United. After last year's great start under Thomas Christiansen, the fans won't yet be getting carried away, but there is the sense that this team is different.

"The style of play which Bielsa was known for in Spain and led him being touted to some of the biggest clubs in Europe is already in evidence at Elland Road and the players are responding to his methods."

@Lucas

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bielsa deserves the award for this month without a doubt and he is also getting recognised in the English game for something that’s been known for a long time... He is a true football guru and someone Guardiola for example see as one of his teachers (just to throw that into the ring).

What I’m keeping a check on is how long his players will be able to handle his undeniable intensity. 

I'm very impressed with Marcelo so far. Very humble guy, there's no ego there or hot air, there are actual method's to everything he does. So meticulous. I'd heard a lot about him prior to when he joined and this made me research more about his past and philosophies but even I've been quite surprised at how well he's managed to implement this on our club so quickly.

Given we have pretty much used the same players as last season and he's getting more out of them underlines the impact he has had on the team to date. They have completely bought into his ideas and will seemingly run and run all day for him. Whether they will physically be able to continue this way as the season pans out, I don't know.

Obviously it's still early days, I am fully aware his previous spells have tended to go pear-shaped as the season has gone on and we have going pear-shaped down to a tee, so any thought's on promotion/playoffs, I hold with baited breath.

But for now, I am happy. It's weird to be reading and hearing so much positive about my club when we are so used to negative vibes.

Archived