talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 Semi-Final - Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea (1st Leg)

football forum

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think you aren't offside unless your leg is ahead. So if your upper body is it isn't offside

See Marcs post mate... 

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

A player is in an offside position if: • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent The hands and arms of all players, including the

That's the letter of the law... It's always been a bit confusing to be honest, they say that in order to promote attacking flowing football marginal calls should be ignored and I would agree with that.. Nothing worse than seeing a potential good break be hauled back because someone had a lock of curly hair out of place as it ruins the flow of the game but we have seen more calls for marginal decisions preventing the free flowing football than the other way round so not sure what it is they are trying to achieve.. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Laws of the game disagree. You can score with your head and chest can't you? 

Yeah but officially I think only your legs can be offiside. Not sure if it makes sense but I have heard it said before

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

See Marcs post mate... 

That's the letter of the law... It's always been a bit confusing to be honest, they say that in order to promote attacking flowing football marginal calls should be ignored and I would agree with that.. Nothing worse than seeing a potential good break be hauled back because someone had a lock of curly hair out of place as it ruins the flow of the game but we have seen more calls for marginal decisions preventing the free flowing football than the other way round so not sure what it is they are trying to achieve.. 

Ok. Thought I had head heard them say only that if your body was in an offside position bit your legs weren't you weren't offside but must be wrong

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but officially I think only your legs can be offiside. Not sure if it makes sense but I have heard it said before

But that's a crock of shit though... A player offside does not get flagged for it even though he is clearly offside then runs towards goal, passes to a team mate then runs into space to head the return cross in is using the part of the body that was actually offside.. xD as Cicero said, could come off his chest or upper arm and still go in... to claim one half of the body does not count is just crazy talk.. 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ok. Thought I had head heard them say only that if your body was in an offside position bit your legs weren't you weren't offside but must be wrong

They did mate, that's what they were trying to claim last night... they are idiots 

@Marc poccentino never said he was against VAR he just said it needed work. In fact he said he supported the game moving forward. Don't know what Sarri said in full but all I heard him say was the English officials needed more time to get use to it 

The law does not mention anything about parts of the body you can score with. Some people just interpret it that way.

1. Offside position It is not an offence to be in an offside position. A player is in an offside position if: • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. A player is not in an offside position if level with the: • second-last opponent or • last two opponents

Also, benefit of the doubt to the attacker is incorrect or a myth. 

@Gunnersauraus he said word for word 'I don't like VAR'

1 minute ago, Marc said:

The law does not mention anything about parts of the body you can score with. Some people just interpret it that way.

Also, benefit of the doubt to the attacker is incorrect or a myth. 

@Gunnersauraus he said word for word 'I don't like VAR'

Ok I must of imagined him say I support evolution but it took to long 9_9

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Marc poccentino never said he was against VAR he just said it needed work. In fact he said he supported the game moving forward. Don't know what Sarri said in full but all I heard him say was the English officials needed more time to get use to it 

What he actually said... 

The Spurs manager, Mauricio Pochettino, said Kane’s winner had left a sour taste. “To get the benefit is nice but I am unhappy to win the game like this,” he said. “I am pro technology because you cannot stop evolution but we are waiting so long [for the decision] – it is not clear what are the rules.

“I don’t like VAR and after watching it at the World Cup and in another league like La Liga, I see nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it. It is a system that sometimes kills the emotions. I didn’t celebrate tonight because we were waiting five minutes.”

Just now, Bluewolf said:

What he actually said... 

The Spurs manager, Mauricio Pochettino, said Kane’s winner had left a sour taste. “To get the benefit is nice but I am unhappy to win the game like this,” he said. “I am pro technology because you cannot stop evolution but we are waiting so long [for the decision] – it is not clear what are the rules.

“I don’t like VAR and after watching it at the World Cup and in another league like La Liga, I see nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it. It is a system that sometimes kills the emotions. I didn’t celebrate tonight because we were waiting five minutes.”

For me what he is saying is it needs work he is not against it. Even if he is who cares. We're talking about a manager who said diving is beautiful

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

For me what he is saying is it needs work he is not against it. Even if he is who cares. We're talking about a manager who said diving is beautiful

I don't mind VAR, if used correctly it makes things fair and that is what we have always wanted right? a level playing field.. What introducing it and using it correctly will do of course is kill conversations like this because it will be bang to rights no argument about it... where the hell is the fun in that? xD

It's good to have a decent debate about was he or wasn't he etc.. lifes unfair etc.. the correct use of VAR is going to make things very boring in the future.. 

"Did you see that!!! I thought he was offside there.." 

VAR says Onside!! 

Convesation over... 

18 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't mind VAR, if used correctly it makes things fair and that is what we have always wanted right? a level playing field.. What introducing it and using it correctly will do of course is kill conversations like this because it will be bang to rights no argument about it... where the hell is the fun in that? xD

It's good to have a decent debate about was he or wasn't he etc.. lifes unfair etc.. the correct use of VAR is going to make things very boring in the future.. 

"Did you see that!!! I thought he was offside there.." 

VAR says Onside!! 

Convesation over... 

Theres plenty of other things to talk about 😁

He was onside for me. Anyways regardless Chelsea have to look at themselves. They'll be dissapppointed and frustrated to concede a goal like that it was poor defending. Excellent run from Kane though and it was rash from Kepa. 

Chelsea may have dominated the possession and territory but Tottenham didn't mind that they looked comfortable in defence for long periods. Only when Christianson got in at the back post from a corner did I feel Chelsea could score. The rest of the time Spurs kept them at arms length. Giroud should have came on earlier. My only criticism of Sarri he ain't flexible it's always 4-3-3 and like for like subs sometimes you have to change your formation unfortunately it doesn't look like he will.

15 hours ago, Cicero said:

Couldn't disagree more. 

Only Liverpool have conceded fewer goals than us in the league. Our ability to retain the ball diminishes the opposition's chances at our goal. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho

Only Man City have created more chances than us in the league. Our possession play has allowed us to have more time on the ball to create chances in the third. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho. 

Calling him useless is just wrong. Busquets received much of the same criticism, majority of which from premier league fans as there always seems to be a fixation on stats. It only took several years for people to realise how important Busquets really is to how the team functions as a whole. 

My issue is what's ahead of Jorginho. Like I said, we create loads of chances. Our finishing is just terrible. When we have two incompetent strikers in Giroud and Morata. Willian who has less goals than Kante in the league. And Pedro who is more cold than hot, to blame Jorginho as the main issue to why we aren't scoring goals just couldn't be more wrong. 

I usually agree with you on 99% of topics, i just can't accept that. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived