talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo after reading what you wrote about Dave's guitars from ESP I thought to myself whether there were any guitars from famous musicians I'd really want and then I realized theres really only one i want and its ESP's Snakebyte (the matte white finish). Shame they don't sell them here.

LTD SNAKEBYTE - The ESP Guitar Company (espguitars.com)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo after reading what you wrote about Dave's guitars from ESP I thought to myself whether there were any guitars from famous musicians I'd really want and then I realized theres really only one i want and its ESP's Snakebyte (the matte white finish). Shame they don't sell them here.

LTD SNAKEBYTE - The ESP Guitar Company (espguitars.com)

Could you get one off reverb or sweetwater/Thommen or something like that?

The Snakebyte is very cool. Funny how we'd both want signature guitars from the 2 best (imo) rhythm guitarists of all time xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Could you get one off reverb or sweetwater/Thommen or something like that?

The Snakebyte is very cool. Funny how we'd both want signature guitars from the 2 best (imo) rhythm guitarists of all time xD

I talked to someone in Japan about four years ago when it was at what I considered a decent price. We were all ready and then you know that virus thingy happened. Then I went back and he decided to keep it. I'll try again around March next year. I really like it for a lot of reasons, the other guitar I was so hellbent on getting was the Ibanez Fireman that Gilbert uses because I really love that baseball bat style neck.

41 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I talked to someone in Japan about four years ago when it was at what I considered a decent price. We were all ready and then you know that virus thingy happened. Then I went back and he decided to keep it. I'll try again around March next year. I really like it for a lot of reasons, the other guitar I was so hellbent on getting was the Ibanez Fireman that Gilbert uses because I really love that baseball bat style neck.

Baseball bat style neck sounds like a nightmare to me xD

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mel81x said:

What a pedal. I am lost for words at how good it gets when you learn to use it properly. I have now completely changed my tune on IR/CAB based modulation and have to say I feel bad I missed it at its peak. 

I love how far IR/CAB models have come. 

So does that do amp sims as well as cab sims? Does it have an FX loop so you can incorporate it into a pedal board and then have an all digital setup but with all your own pedals? If so, that's incredible.

When I go all digital, I don't use my pedalboard anymore - I just go with the stuff onboard the PodGo cos it's got pretty much every flavour of every effect I'd use. But there is definitely something else that I enjoy about using my individual FX pedals when I'm playing through my amp. It's just... so much more convenient to use the PodGo most of the time and not worry about bringing an amp/cab anywhere or needing an amp/cab. If I could just bring my pedalboard and leave the rest of my gear at home... I'd be more inclined to use my pedals more often outside the house (which is where I do most of my jamming these days).

Hell, even when I'm playing just by myself at home... I mostly just use the Pod because with the built in IRs, but especially the ones I've got from ML SoundLab... I can get a tone I like without pissing my wife off and that's a huge plus.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love how far IR/CAB models have come. 

So does that do amp sims as well as cab sims? Does it have an FX loop so you can incorporate it into a pedal board and then have an all digital setup but with all your own pedals? If so, that's incredible.

This thing does a few things

1. It has the ability to take in more IR cabs/amps and then you can blend them
  2. It does both amps and cabs and allows you to mix and match like most other modellers do
  3. It has the ability to modify the recording types for the cabs and amps so you can move the mic placement, change tone, displace the amp itself by distance, add simple reverb where necessary and the likes
  4. Has the ability to use an FX loop with the send signal pattern
  5. Has the ability to attach a foot pedal for volume and other parameters
  6. Has the ability to attach a switch pedal for more complex pattern usage
  7. Has a range of simple guitar cabs/amps and ... more importantly a bunch of SVT bass amps which I love

I'd say this thing could actually replace my pedal board during jams and for the most part it has. I no longer fiddle around with cabs/amps at the jam room and simply set this based on where I am jamming and then im set. Oh and it comes with a parametric EQ for pre amplification as well so I can just set the bass any way I want and then write and I am good to go. 

I honestly love how simple it is to use and more importantly its size. When you go from lugging around a whole pedal board to just a pedal for jams its great. It's impractical for more complicated work like stuff from Tool, etc where you do need delay pedals, fuzz pedals, etc but I love it so far and I have found some amp files I really like. My next set will be from Ampeg as someone has taken the time to actually model them correctly for this pedal. I was torn between this or one from Strymon but I can't fault what Boss has done here its a stellar pedal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This thing does a few things

1. It has the ability to take in more IR cabs/amps and then you can blend them
  2. It does both amps and cabs and allows you to mix and match like most other modellers do
  3. It has the ability to modify the recording types for the cabs and amps so you can move the mic placement, change tone, displace the amp itself by distance, add simple reverb where necessary and the likes
  4. Has the ability to use an FX loop with the send signal pattern
  5. Has the ability to attach a foot pedal for volume and other parameters
  6. Has the ability to attach a switch pedal for more complex pattern usage
  7. Has a range of simple guitar cabs/amps and ... more importantly a bunch of SVT bass amps which I love

I'd say this thing could actually replace my pedal board during jams and for the most part it has. I no longer fiddle around with cabs/amps at the jam room and simply set this based on where I am jamming and then im set. Oh and it comes with a parametric EQ for pre amplification as well so I can just set the bass any way I want and then write and I am good to go. 

I honestly love how simple it is to use and more importantly its size. When you go from lugging around a whole pedal board to just a pedal for jams its great. It's impractical for more complicated work like stuff from Tool, etc where you do need delay pedals, fuzz pedals, etc but I love it so far and I have found some amp files I really like. My next set will be from Ampeg as someone has taken the time to actually model them correctly for this pedal. I was torn between this or one from Strymon but I can't fault what Boss has done here its a stellar pedal.

Sounds excellent. Boss are boss, this sounds like an excellent pedal.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sounds excellent. Boss are boss, this sounds like an excellent pedal.'

And best of all is that it has a 3.5mm jack for headphones so i can practice and not hear "whats that noise" from the other rooms haha. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Happy Blue so what's this amp that you've found then?

Sounds a bit like my Joyo VIVO, which is a 5150 knockoff but with only 1 knob to shape the tone. I'm always interested in cool amps... even if I'm probably not going to use one now that I basically just use the PodGo for everything. They just had a massive update for the PodGo too - and it's brilliant. Added a few amps, totally changed how the stock cabs sound (they sound much better now) and redone how you arrange mic placement on the stock cabs.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Happy Blue so what's this amp that you've found then?

Sounds a bit like my Joyo VIVO, which is a 5150 knockoff but with only 1 knob to shape the tone. I'm always interested in cool amps... even if I'm probably not going to use one now that I basically just use the PodGo for everything. They just had a massive update for the PodGo too - and it's brilliant. Added a few amps, totally changed how the stock cabs sound (they sound much better now) and redone how you arrange mic placement on the stock cabs.

You know your stuff mate, very close :twothumbsup: it's the Joyo Zombie mk2 and got it boosted with a TC Electronics FANGS with the gain at zero, what a pedal, in the scooped mode you can get close to Metallica's Justice sound. i'm using it in the fat mode to boost the treble with the bass coming from the amp as like you said they just have the one shape knob, what a great little head, sounds great on it's own but has a FX loop so i can plug my GP200 in or go direct through the clean channel too, i'm so impressed with it i've sold my 6505mh which never hit the spot for me, probably because i was chasing that heavy bass Mesa dual rec sound. my Eminence 2x12 cab also sounds great with the Zombie head so glad i stuck with it now

So do you use the pod with FRFR speakers i take it? ..try it in the FX loop return on your Joyo with the cab emulation off, see how that sounds. i have a harley benton DSP FRFR -112A monitor/PA for the GP200 but not really getting on with it, think it sounds better through a tube head and cab. need to mess around with the EQ settings on the Benton, not had time yet. 

Glad you getting on with the PodGo, they look really good, i only went with the Valeton because it was cheaper :4_joy: have you got it all figured out now?

DxXymAh.jpg

fx1X1IE.jpg

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 1

On 22/11/2023 at 18:22, Happy Blue said:

You know your stuff mate, very close :twothumbsup: it's the Joyo Zombie mk2 and got it boosted with a TC Electronics FANGS with the gain at zero, what a pedal, in the scooped mode you can get close to Metallica's Justice sound. i'm using it in the fat mode to boost the treble with the bass coming from the amp as like you said they just have the one shape knob, what a great little head, sounds great on it's own but has a FX loop so i can plug my GP200 in or go direct through the clean channel too, i'm so impressed with it i've sold my 6505mh which never hit the spot for me, probably because i was chasing that heavy bass Mesa dual rec sound. my Eminence 2x12 cab also sounds great with the Zombie head so glad i stuck with it now

So do you use the pod with FRFR speakers i take it? ..try it in the FX loop return on your Joyo with the cab emulation off, see how that sounds. i have a harley benton DSP FRFR -112A monitor/PA for the GP200 but not really getting on with it, think it sounds better through a tube head and cab. need to mess around with the EQ settings on the Benton, not had time yet. 

Glad you getting on with the PodGo, they look really good, i only went with the Valeton because it was cheaper :4_joy: have you got it all figured out now?

DxXymAh.jpg

fx1X1IE.jpg

Nice! I’ve heard the Zombie is great. I actually wanted to get it but they didn’t have it in stock at the shop I went to and had the JCM knockoff (the Jackman) and the VIVO which is the 5150. I played around with both and thought “well these are cool” and left with the VIVO.

With the PodGo I mostly just use it with my monitor headphones or plugged into my interface which goes through my studio monitors - or I plug the “amp out” output into the FX loop of my VIVO and play out of my 1x12. And if I’m jamming at my mates house, he’s got a P.A. setup so we plug my L & R outputs into his mixer then run it through the PA. I still haven’t used a FRFR speaker - at home my headphones/monitors are good enough for a flat sound with quality cab sims.

I haven’t got it all figured out 100% yet, I keep learning more and more of how to get the most of it. I’m definitely the most comfortable I’ve ever been with a modeler after messing around with it so long.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I had someone come to an audition the other day with Paramore's - Decode as their song of choice. Now, putting aside the actual audition, the fact that this song is in Drop C# is so weird because when you tune your bass to that it becomes all noodly and has a very weird kind of spring vibe to the strings. You guys ever have any weird songs like this? 

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I had someone come to an audition the other day with Paramore's - Decode as their song of choice. Now, putting aside the actual audition, the fact that this song is in Drop C# is so weird because when you tune your bass to that it becomes all noodly and has a very weird kind of spring vibe to the strings. You guys ever have any weird songs like this? 

I have one of my 7 string's in F#, when you go below A  it can get very mushy, some power cords simply just don't work in F# but the ones that do sound heavy as ball's!!!!!. it works better for single notes rather than cords but also to answer your question all my guitars are de-tuned, B standard being what i mostly play in and i find the strings you have on can make a big difference in the lower tunings

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I don't like how slack the strings get when I downtune - when I play in D I use a thicker gauge string (one size up) than I normally would use on the same scale length guitar because I notice it even going down to D... and that's not even that far from E! I don't really change the tunings of my guitars all that much tbh because of that - I don't like changing the gauge of string I'm using on a guitar because I don't like setting the guitars up.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't like how slack the strings get when I downtune - when I play in D I use a thicker gauge string (one size up) than I normally would use on the same scale length guitar because I notice it even going down to D... and that's not even that far from E! I don't really change the tunings of my guitars all that much tbh because of that - I don't like changing the gauge of string I'm using on a guitar because I don't like setting the guitars up.

If you do decide to mess around with lower tunings check these strings out Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings - 12-56 Gauge. have this set on my 6 string LTD in B-standard, perfect for lower tunings

• Like 1

• 1 month later...