talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League To Revert Back To Old Transfer Window

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It was a good idea but sadly proved to be a bit idealistic as the rest of Europe didn't follow suit. A shame in my eyes as there's no doubt it's better than having it going on during the season - imagine all the Maguire nonsense going on a few games in, but if Europe aren't going to do the same thing then it just becomes a self-imposed disadvantage so it's for the best, sadly.

To be honest, I didn't have an issue with it ending at different times. Didn't think it hurt the Premier League much. If anything, it was worse for the other leagues that Premier League clubs wouldn't be buying while their window was still open.

On 03/09/2019 at 11:29, Pyfish said:

Absolutely. It should close at the same time for all of the top leagues. Not fair otherwise!

Yes absolutely, but why should the four other leagues follow the English example instead of the other way round? By the way as long as the English Premier League gets so much more TV money than the other leagues them are the least  entitled to cry about unfairness.

• Subscriber

That's part of the problem - the other leagues won't follow the Premier League example because they see the Premier League doing this as an opportunity to 'catch up' somewhat - why align with them?

To me it's far better practice to have it all wrapped up before the season kicks off. Appreciate it's a biased example but imagine that Maguire nonsense goes on until this week just gone - we've got a totally different situation now to what we're currently in, which is well organised and totally set for the next few months and more. If we lose Maguire on deadline day, which is what would probably have gone on to happen, then we end up with significant changes to plans after the season has kicked off. I just don't get why you would want to encourage this kind of practice.

It's a shame we're going to revert as I prefer it personally but I totally get why. We haven't really paid the price at all but the opportunity was there for us to.

I think in terms of departures though we did well - we shifted quite a few in the last couple of weeks to Europe that I didn't think we would and I think the fact we'd already passed our deadline made it pretty clear who was available.

Archived