talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Samuel Eto'o - Celebrating an Elite Career

football forum

42 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just to clear the air, It’s Eto’o for me. 

It's not because I agree with that and to be honest I do want debate on the issue because there's been some legendary African footballers like for example relatively unknown to the western world like Aboutrika who I only know about because of an Algerian that works in a coffee shop where I get my daily fix of caffeine... The guy is a football fanatic and I love listening to him while I wait for my morning latte... he introduced me to this Egyptian footballer which led me to watching a documentary on him and I was awestruck.

Then there are others like Abedi Pele who I remember perfectly for Olympique Marseille ( @Batard ) and was magical or Jay-Jay Okocha for Nigeria in that generation with a young Kanu. But for longevity and performing at the top end I can't see past Eto'o with George Weah coming second. I can accept those that have Weah top though even if he lasted less time at the elite level.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Salah won the CL and reached a final being the main star of the team.

Sanchez in my opinion, did shine at Barcelona. He just wasn't given a lot of game time, but he was excellent when he was put on the pitch.

Sanchez was good, i thought it was a bit unfair to sell him to be honest, although he wasn't the same key player he was at Udinese or Arsenal for me, and especially for Chile, where he often looks unstoppable.

Inb saying that, if Messi didn't exist, then maybe a player like Sanchez would have done more and been given a more prominent role in the side, which he may have thrived more off.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's not because I agree with that and to be honest I do want debate on the issue because there's been some legendary African footballers like for example relatively unknown to the western world like Aboutrika who I only know about because of an Algerian that works in a coffee shop where I get my daily fix of caffeine... The guy is a football fanatic and I love listening to him while I wait for my morning latte... he introduced me to this Egyptian footballer which led me to watching a documentary on him and I was awestruck.

Then there are others like Abedi Pele who I remember perfectly for Olympique Marseille ( @Batard ) and was magical or Jay-Jay Okocha for Nigeria in that generation with a young Kanu. But for longevity and performing at the top end I can't see past Eto'o with George Weah coming second. I can accept those that have Weah top though even if he lasted less time at the elite level.

Ah, Abedi. 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Nah, I form my own opinions. I don't need someone telling me how to feel; besides Bleacher Report is Buzzfeed for sports.

No other player has perfected the target-man position as well as Drogba, he was incredibly strong, technical, powerful in the air, dominate in both boxes, clever with the assist, and could cross the ball like an elite winger. You can prefer Eto'o if you like but for me the rarity of a player like Drogba trounces. He didn't always score in huge amounts but he didn't need to, often his presence was more than enough to disrupt a team to be battered into submission. 

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sanchez was good, i thought it was a bit unfair to sell him to be honest, although he wasn't the same key player he was at Udinese or Arsenal for me, and especially for Chile, where he often looks unstoppable.

Inb saying that, if Messi didn't exist, then maybe a player like Sanchez would have done more and been given a more prominent role in the side, which he may have thrived more off.

Alexis was good for Barcelona but nowhere near as effective as Pedro was and they were both fighting for the same position most of the time. Pedro was a phenomenon for Barça at that time and an authentic match winner.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Alexis was good for Barcelona but nowhere near as effective as Pedro was and they were both fighting for the same position most of the time. Pedro was a phenomenon for Barça at that time and an authentic match winner.

Pedro scored alot of very important goals for Barcelona in big games. He was massively underlooked for that.

48 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

That finish against Arsenal in the Champs league final!

Very few of his goals were easy... There are some absolutely tremendous goals that exhaust when you watch them even now. He had it all, skill technique, positioning, physical power and a wonder shot.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be beautiful [if Mourinho returned]," said Eto'o, per Sport. "I'd like to ask Jose to come to Mallorca, that would be good, the best city in Spain. But I'd like him at Barca even more."

I'm sick of saying that this guy is one of the best people in the world of football," he said. "I ended my career and the first person to send me a message was this man,

"All the players fought for him, killed for him."

----

Unzips pants. Samuel knows :x

Archived