talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Edinson Cavani Banned For 3 Games & Fined £100k

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I speak to a Colombiana regularly on Whatsapp video chats and have since about May.

I bet you fucking do mate you old dog :ph34r:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/01/2021 at 19:39, Mel81x said:

People in England may not recognize it but its a rule and can be enforced as seen necessary by the FA of the country and thats the key here. It's not racist and I think that's clear as daylight but when you get something brought to your attention and you've got a history of being reactive to these kinds of situations (B.Silva as an example) you've got to either be consistent or take the flack for doing it the first time. The FA have enough on their plate to clearly prove they haven't got a handle on the football they are supposed to be in-charge of and this is an easy win. Ban a guy, look consistent and no one bats an eye-lid because its rule nothing more nothing less. 

Also, for the record I don't get why the clubs and players don't just get together and say look this is what we cant say even if its okay at home in a public space where everyone can see it. PR firms dont make pennies for this kind of work and I think they failed Cavani here. There is a clear history here when it comes to football in England and players getting bans for these sorts of things and it could have been avoided.

Bernardo Silva posted a racist joke to a public channel, on multiple occasions actually although only one was punished. That is in no way comparable to Cavani using a familiar term to reply to a friend (albeit on a public channel as well, but a message to him rather than a general tweet). It would've been perfectly reasonable for the FA to consult an "expert" and decide not to punish him

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Bernardo Silva posted a racist joke to a public channel, on multiple occasions actually although only one was punished. That is in no way comparable to Cavani using a familiar term to reply to a friend (albeit on a public channel as well, but a message to him rather than a general tweet). It would've been perfectly reasonable for the FA to consult an "expert" and decide not to punish him

While I agree that what Bernardo posted was clearly racist lets take things into the super context here. If you as the FA are made aware of something and you dont take immediate action (punishment or no) then you're in a weird position where you look like you're showing favoritism as awkward as that sounds. And I do agree that the FA needs to get better with the way they deal with these kinds of things. At the end of the day the fault lies on both sides of the fence.

A. With the player. We can all sit here and argue that it wasnt racist because its once again contextual but at the moment this is how the FA deals with things and if as a public figure playing in a league you go against what the FA deems as inappropriate you're going to get the relevant punishment. Until such a time arises where the governing body for the sport in England finds the time to be more analytical about these things this is sadly the way things are. The counter question about whether it could have been avoided should really be asked here as well and I think it could have. Nothing stops Cavani from replying in private even if he feels its okay to say it publicly and whoever is in-charge of letting players knows the dos and donts failed here more than the player imo.  

B. With the FA. They clearly have no idea how to deal with the way these words are used so they use a blanket clause to protect themselves. But, they can still enforce any rule they wish and in this case they decided to give him a three game ban. Is it right? I dont think so but it is how they see things and as I stated before you can't argue with the rule-maker if they've set precedence on how they deal with these things. 

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

While I agree that what Bernardo posted was clearly racist lets take things into the super context here. If you as the FA are made aware of something and you dont take immediate action (punishment or no) then you're in a weird position where you look like you're showing favoritism as awkward as that sounds. And I do agree that the FA needs to get better with the way they deal with these kinds of things. At the end of the day the fault lies on both sides of the fence.

A. With the player. We can all sit here and argue that it wasnt racist because its once again contextual but at the moment this is how the FA deals with things and if as a public figure playing in a league you go against what the FA deems as inappropriate you're going to get the relevant punishment. Until such a time arises where the governing body for the sport in England finds the time to be more analytical about these things this is sadly the way things are. The counter question about whether it could have been avoided should really be asked here as well and I think it could have. Nothing stops Cavani from replying in private even if he feels its okay to say it publicly and whoever is in-charge of letting players knows the dos and donts failed here more than the player imo.  

B. With the FA. They clearly have no idea how to deal with the way these words are used so they use a blanket clause to protect themselves. But, they can still enforce any rule they wish and in this case they decided to give him a three game ban. Is it right? I dont think so but it is how they see things and as I stated before you can't argue with the rule-maker if they've set precedence on how they deal with these things. 

I don't agree that they've set precedent though. Bernardo Silva being punished for tweeting a racist joke about a teammate is not precedent for Edison Cavani using an affectionate term to reply to a friend, nor are the Suarez or Terry cases. Fair enough, United could have advised him a bit better, but you're still expecting him to consider English language customs when posting on the internet in Spanish, which I don't think is fair

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't agree that they've set precedent though. Bernardo Silva being punished for tweeting a racist joke about a teammate is not precedent for Edison Cavani using an affectionate term to reply to a friend, nor are the Suarez or Terry cases. Fair enough, United could have advised him a bit better, but you're still expecting him to consider English language customs when posting on the internet in Spanish, which I don't think is fair

It kind of is precedence isnt it? Now you're using words in a totally non-racist context to ban a player just because a word was used and clubbing them with actual racist offenses. There was a debate in the PSG/Atalanta thread about the same thing when the Romanian referee used the romanian word for black and got into hot water for it. Should the rule change? I believe it should because you've got a whole plethora of foreign players who will be using words that are deemed racist in English but for now its the way it is. Why it wasn't challenged more is beyond me but something tells me that they figured that challenging it would be a lost cause so they just accepted the ban. 

Just now, Mel81x said:

It kind of is precedence isnt it? Now you're using words in a totally non-racist context to ban a player just because a word was used and clubbing them with actual racist offenses. There was a debate in the PSG/Atalanta thread about the same thing when the Romanian referee used the romanian word for black and got into hot water for it.

I disagree on this. The Romanian referee was misusing cultural context and Webo felt racially abused. That for me is enough for it to deem racism. When it's 2 Uruguayan's using it within one another, it isn't because they both understand it.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I disagree on this. The Romanian referee was misusing cultural context and Webo felt racially abused. That for me is enough for it to deem racism. When it's 2 Uruguayan's using it within one another, it isn't because they both understand it.

Now imagine the FA looks at a player and see a word they feel is racist and get upset about the fact that a player in their league is using the word in a public space for the rest of their fan-base to see. Might seem trite but you could spin it that way. Its irrelevant if its between two people of the same culture because you could spin the Romanian referee's argument to the fact that he too was saying it to another Romanian so why get upset about it because that's how they communicate. 

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

What if the conversation was this:-

Agüero: "tienes un coche rojo"?(do you have a red car)

Eric García: "no, el que tengo es negro"(no, I have a black one)

Then someone from the FA only heard the word "negro" as they don't understand the language? Could these 2 players then be banned for the use of the word? This is why you can't ban the word alone because it's not the equivalent of the same word used in English(which itself has a different pronunciation).

• Subscriber

Edinson Cavani ban: Uruguay players want Man Utd striker's punishment overturned

Uruguay's players' union has called on the Football Association to overturn Edinson Cavani's three-match ban.

The Manchester United striker was fined £100,000 and banned for an Instagram post containing a Spanish word that is offensive in some contexts.

Luis Suarez and Diego Godin have both shared a statement by their national players' union that calls the punishment a "discriminatory" act.

Uruguay's Football Association (AUF) also wants the ban reviewed.

Godin, Uruguay's captain, and striker Suarez shared on Twitter a letter of support for their international team-mate Cavani, written by the Uruguayan Football Players' Association (AFU).

The letter, signed by professional and amateur players from the South American country, described the FA's sanctioning of Cavani as an act "against the culture and way of life of the Uruguayan people".

"Edinson Cavani has never committed any conduct that could be interpreted as racist," said the AFU statement.

"He merely used a common expression in Latin America to affectionately address a loved one or close friend.

"The sanction shows the English Football Association's biased, dogmatic and ethnocentric vision that only allows a subjective interpretation to be made from its particular and excluding conclusion, however flawed it may be.

"We request the FA to immediately overturn the sanction imposed on Edinson Cavani and reinstate his good name and honour in the world that has been so unfairly tarnished by this reprehensible decision."

In a separate statement, the Uruguayan FA said: "We are convinced from our deep knowledge of the person and the analysis of the fact that he is not worthy of the [the punishment] nor the consequent moral damage."

The Football Association said it charged Cavani - and subsequently punished him - following a "full and thorough" investigation, which also "involved a language expert witness".

The FA said the post was alleged to be "insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute".

It was also alleged "that the comment constitutes an aggravated breach" which "included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin".

Cavani accepted the FA's charge, with United saying the Uruguayan chose not to contest it "out of respect for, and solidarity with" the governing body and football's fight against racism.

Along with the ban and fine, Cavani has also been told by the FA to complete a "face-to-face" education programme.

Cavani sent the message after scoring a winner at Southampton on 29 November.

The striker subsequently deleted the post and apologised when the meaning that could be attached was pointed out.

"It was intended as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game," said the former Napoli and Paris St-Germain striker.

"The last thing I wanted to do was cause offence to anyone.

"I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as it was explained that it can be interpreted differently."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55534759

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Be Google Translate for us Mr Brian...

In short, CONMEBOL is expressing their solidarity with Cavani, and claim that they don't agree with racism and will do anything to kick it out of the game, but what Cavani did doesn't classify as that. Also how it's disrespectful to Uruguayan culture.

• Subscriber

Edinson Cavani ban: CONMEBOL joins criticism of FA over Manchester United striker’s ban for Instagram post

South American Confederation CONMEBOL has “expressed solidarity” with Edinson Cavani and blasted the English FA over its decision to suspend the Manchester United striker for an offensive social media post.

CONMEBOL said the FA judgement did not "consider the cultural characteristics and the use of certain terms in everyday speech in Uruguay".

Cavani was handed a three-match ban and fined £100,000 on New Year's Eve for using a racial term in a social media post.

The 33-year-old had replied to a message congratulating him on his match-winning display against Southampton in November with a post using the Spanish word 'negrito'.

The word translates as 'little black person'. It is commonly used as a term of endearment in Uruguay, and other Spanish-speaking countries, but it is considered offensive elsewhere.

Cavani deleted the post, apologised and chose not to contest the misconduct charge out of respect for the FA's fight against racism within football but insisted there was no malicious intent.

On Monday, the Uruguayan players' union called on the FA to overturn Cavani's ban, describing its decision as "a true discriminatory act" and "against Uruguayan culture", and CONMEBOL has now followed suit.

In a statement published on Tuesday, the governing body for football in South America said: "CONMEBOL expresses its solidarity with the player Edinson Cavani, sanctioned by the Football Association of England.

"The disciplinary measure for the outstanding player from the Uruguayan team clearly does not consider the cultural characteristics and the use of certain terms in everyday speech in Uruguay.

"The judgment of these types of statements, within the framework of a process that can lead to penalties for the athlete and that affect his reputation and good name, must always be carried out taking into account the context in which they were made and, above all, cultural peculiarities of each player and each country.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/edinson-cavani-ban-instagram-conmebol-fa-man-utd-b701841.html

Archived