talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 1-3 LIVERPOOL - Thursday 28th January, 2021

football forums

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's a fair call mate. If the point surfaces in a post match summary because of another sub par defensive performance is hardly the fault of the group for discussing it...

But it doesn't just surface after sub par performances Harry.. it surfaces after a 3 - 1 win away at Spurs. It surfaces after every single thread involving Liverpool and its the same person saying it day after day. 

Fucking annoying. All he does is fucking moan like some entitled child from out of town. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where has anyone said you shouldn't have signed Thiago and/or Jota? 

From what I see, everyone knows you can't or won't or never wanted to sign a world class centre back. All they want is someone better than the youngsters who clearly aren't/weren't ready. At least not for a long period of time in a season. No one acts like this is FIFA or that you can just go out and buy anyone you like. All the fans realise Klopp and the club have a 'plan' and a transfer strategy. But that does get compromised when 2 key players get injured. All of you realise you could however get a centre back that is adequate backup. I think that's all any of you want? 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where has anyone said you shouldn't have signed Thiago and/or Jota? 

From what I see, everyone knows you can't or won't or never wanted to sign a world class centre back. All they want is someone better than the youngsters who clearly aren't/weren't ready. At least not for a long period of time in a season. No one acts like this is FIFA or that you can just go out and buy anyone you like. All the fans realise Klopp and the club have a 'plan' and a transfer strategy. But that does get compromised when 2 key players get injured. All of you realise you could however get a centre back that is adequate backup. I think that's all any of you want? 

Yes, but does it have to be brought up every single minute of every waking hour?

We know all that, it's been agreed a million times. Apparently Rick is going to go mad if we don't sign a CB... fuck me, he's been going mad since that price Pickford crippled VVD. 

It's boring.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Rick and Gonzo after the Spurs win were telling Mike that Thiago wasn't needed and a fourth choice CB should have been signed instead. . . .or words to that effect. 

Thiago and Jota were signed (for reference) after Rick (yet again) was screaming like a bitch for new signings. Lost his shit when Werner signed for Chelsea, wasn't keen on Thiago before it actually happened... he never stops fucking moaning!

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't come out with chavvy little outbursts like "I will go mad if we don't sign a CB", "I will proper kick off If Origi isn't replaced" etc etc etc

It's as if he actually thinks he knows best!

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Rick and Gonzo after the Spurs win were telling Mike that Thiago wasn't needed and a fourth choice CB should have been signed instead. . . .or words to that effect. 

To be fair, I think Rick said that Liverpool couldn't pass up the chance to sign Thiago in that situation. He did say that they should have prioritised a CB though, which I suppose could be seen as contradictory.

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's a fair call mate. If the point surfaces in a post match summary because of another sub par defensive performance is hardly the fault of the group for discussing it...

Sub par defensive performance? After Thursday? Did you watch the game?

30 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

But it doesn't just surface after sub par performances Harry.. it surfaces after a 3 - 1 win away at Spurs. It surfaces after every single thread involving Liverpool and its the same person saying it day after day. 

Fucking annoying. All he does is fucking moan like some entitled child from out of town. 

I’m only going to quote this one. 

I’ve commented on the centre back situation again after Matip picked up yet another injury and we resorted to a pairing of Henderson & Phillips. And part of the reason that it’s an ongoing discussion is because we have had plenty of reds on here who have disagreed about signing a stop gap centre back. Mike being one of the most vocal in that, and it’s only in the last week he has altered his thoughts.

So yes, we have had plenty of discussions about it...but so what? It’s a pretty big fucking issue right now for the team, THE big issue in fact but you expect none of us to ever talk about it? Get a grip, you’re not overlord of this forum, you can’t tell people to shut up about something because you don’t want to discuss it. You eat up everything that Klopp and the club say and won’t have anybody criticise them, even if there’s justification for it. If you don’t want to have a discussion then don’t, but don’t tell me and others to stop because you don’t like it. 

@LFCMike It’s not contradictory. I’m not of the opinion that it has to be one of the other. Thiago is a world class talent, and we were never going to pass up the chance to bring him in, but I also wanted the CB signing sorted. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’m only going to quote this one. 

I’ve commented on the centre back situation again after Matip picked up yet another injury and we resorted to a pairing of Henderson & Phillips. And part of the reason that it’s an ongoing discussion is because we have had plenty of reds on here who have disagreed about signing a stop gap centre back. Mike being one of the most vocal in that, and it’s only in the last week he has altered his thoughts.

So yes, we have had plenty of discussions about it...but so what? It’s a pretty big fucking issue right now for the team, THE big issue in fact but you expect none of us to ever talk about it? Get a grip, you’re not overlord of this forum, you can’t tell people to shut up about something because you don’t want to discuss it. You eat up everything that Klopp and the club say and won’t have anybody criticise them, even if there’s justification for it. If you don’t want to have a discussion then don’t, but don’t tell me and others to stop because you don’t like it. 

@LFCMike It’s not contradictory. I’m not of the opinion that it has to be one of the other. Thiago is a world class talent, and we were never going to pass up the chance to bring him in, but I also wanted the CB signing sorted. 

I dont expect you to never talk about it Rick, just not every minute of every waking hour. 

You never fucking stop. Go for a walk or something.

16 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

To be fair, I think Rick said that Liverpool couldn't pass up the chance to sign Thiago in that situation. He did say that they should have prioritised a CB though, which I suppose could be seen as contradictory.

Even if it was contradictory, it would be a fair point for discussion... if it wasn't mentioned 657 times a minute. 

We have all had this discussion (and agreed) literally 7 thousands times, and every time we conclude, he brings it up again.

Honestly, its like discussing something with a goldfish. 

*example*.. Rick... do we need a CB do you think? 

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

Klopp and Edwards could have been told that it is one or the other though. Of course we can only make a guess on these things. Given the situation, it's fair to argue that FSG could free up some funds and be less cautious. What the knock on effect for any summer business will be though, none of us know. 

We still won't know the full effect of the pandemic on the finances until next year either. We'll get an idea how March to May was impacted when last year's accounts are released next month. And yeah, you could argue that FSG could inject some funds because of FFP being relaxed during the pandemic or provide the club with a loan like they have for stadium developments but we all know that's unlikely because they want the club to be self sufficient. Let's not forget they'll also be starting the Anfield Road end expansion in the not too distant future.

How many clubs have actually made a signing in this window?

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

As a moderator this is not how you should be posting. As a social worker, even worse.

Ok ill stop after making this point.. unlike what Rick says 'that I suck up everything Klopp and the club says', I don't, far from it (we need a new CB for example). 

What I do take issue with though is people not understanding that buying a CB when we have 2 world class CB's returning in a month or so, isn't easy. Buying just 'anyone' isn't an option. 

And again I'm sorry, but I'll be trusting a team that has undergone some of the best transfer business in decades, seen us to 2 champions league finals (winning one), and bringing us our first league title in over 30 years, within 3 seasons....over a self entitled, mouthy little gobshite from out of town. 

Forgive me please.

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Klopp and Edwards could have been told that it is one or the other though. Of course we can only make a guess on these things. Given the situation, it's fair to argue that FSG could free up some funds and be less cautious. What the knock on effect for any summer business will be though, none of us know. 

We still won't know the full effect of the pandemic on the finances until next year either. We'll get an idea how March to May was impacted when last year's accounts are released next month. And yeah, you could argue that FSG could inject some funds because of FFP being relaxed during the pandemic or provide the club with a loan like they have for stadium developments but we all know that's unlikely because they want the club to be self sufficient. Let's not forget they'll also be starting the Anfield Road end expansion in the not too distant future.

How many clubs have actually made a signing in this window?

Don't you dare be so sensible!!!

Didn't you know that we should just sign anybody? Fuck the consequences. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

What I do take issue with though is people not understanding that buying a CB when we have 2 world class CB's returning in a month or so, isn't easy. Buying just 'anyone' isn't an option.

But again, you’re saying this as if we are asking the club to go and buy Upamecano this weekend. We aren’t, we are asking for a stop gap to get us through this torrid injury crisis. For the wages paid it would be maximum 3m paid with a signing fee for the names mentioned. The club can afford that without risking any summer business. 

Klopp just said Gomez won’t play this season, so maybe you need to listen to him more yourself 😂 And Van Dijk isn’t going to be ready by the end of February after an ACL. That’s just delusional thinking. IF he returns this season he will still be way behind in match fitness and form. You can’t use the slight possibility he plays a couple of games as a reason not to look at short term fixes. 

But again, practice what you preach and stop going on about “get anybody in” and actually answer the points being made. 

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

Liverpool won 3-1 and the last five pages have been arguing over a CBxD

One game. It doesn't hide the fact the issue could still be there, no? 

Let's be honest, Tottenham were fuck all when Kane went off.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

But again, you’re saying this as if we are asking the club to go and buy Upamecano this weekend. We aren’t, we are asking for a stop gap to get us through this torrid injury crisis. For the wages paid it would be maximum 3m paid with a signing fee for the names mentioned. The club can afford that without risking any summer business. 

Klopp just said Gomez won’t play this season, so maybe you need to listen to him more yourself 😂 And Vab Dijk isn’t going to be ready by the end of February after an ACL. If he returns this season he will still be way behind in match fitness and form. You can’t use the slight possibility he plays a couple of games as a reason not to look at short term fixes. 

You've mentioned 34 year old Garay who has been without a club since the summer after doing his ACL. Would that really solve our problems?

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Liverpool won 3-1 and the last five pages have been arguing over a CBxD

And look at the last few games before that. One game where the opposition lost their best goal threat at half time doesn’t wipe out this bad planning. That’s head in the sand thinking right there. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

You've mentioned 34 year old Garay who has been without a club since the summer after doing his ACL. Would that really solve our problems?

If he can prove his fitness, he’s certainly better than Phillips, Williams and Henderson. Don’t forget he was playing for Napoli not too long ago. He’s not a slouch, and for 4 months to be back up to Matip it wouldn’t murder the finances. 

It’s been widely reported that Militao from Madrid isn’t getting a look in and they would loan him. No doubt he would be more expensive, but he is young and there would be an option to buy if it worked out a blinder. 

Again Mike, I’m not a chief scout at the club so it’s not my job to identify a full list of players. But I’ve been looking and there are options. These boys at the club get paid to plan and make signings to help the team, and in this instance they have performed well short of what’s needed of them. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

One game. It doesn't hide the fact the issue could still be there, no? 

Let's be honest, Tottenham were fuck all when Kane went off.

Read my other posts. I've not said that we don't need one. I've presented the argument from both sides in the one before you quoted. The point is, it's not as easy as some are making out. Those making the decisions are doing so with much more information and data than any of us

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Read my other posts. I've not said that we don't need one. I've presented the argument from both sides in the one before you quoted. The point is, it's not as easy as some are making out. Those making the decisions are doing so with much more information and data than any of us

I totally understand that, especially the last sentence. I get both sides of the argument as well.

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

If he can prove his fitness, he’s certainly better than Phillips, Williams and Henderson. Don’t forget he was playing for Napoli not too long ago. He’s not a slouch, and for 4 months to be back up to Matip it wouldn’t murder the finances. 

It’s been widely reported that Militao from Madrid isn’t getting a look in and they would loan him. No doubt he would be more expensive, but he is young and there would be an option to buy if it worked out a blinder. 

Again Mike, I’m not a chief scout at the club so it’s not my job to identify a full list of players. But I’ve been looking and there are options. These boys at the club get paid to plan and make signings to help the team, and in this instance they have performed well short of what’s needed of them. 

Napoli? Was he? Are we thinking of the same player?

Anyway, do you not think that Edwards and Klopp are aware of players like that? And there are good reasons why they haven't made the move? 

Archived