The better place to talk football.

Bristol City Appoint Nigel Pearson

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I'm pretty sure only Leicester fans think Pearson is anything other than shite. The bloke has failed time and time again yet seems to be hyped up because of his media outbursts and laying the foundations of that title winning side (that he had nothing to do with, I may add). 

You're probably looking for a bite but you're utterly deluded if you think he had nothing to do with the title side.

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

You're probably looking for a bite but you're utterly deluded if you think he had nothing to do with the title side.

Nah, I'm not. It was Ranieri who won the title, Pearson would not have done the same. It's disrespectful to Claudio to say that a slice of the gratitude should go towards Pearson. 

Perhaps "nothing" is the wrong word. But very little perhaps?

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Nah, I'm not. It was Ranieri who won the title, Pearson would not have done the same. It's disrespectful to Claudio to say that a slice of the gratitude should go towards Pearson. 

Perhaps "nothing" is the wrong word. But very little perhaps?

Nothing is definitely the wrong word.

• A lot of the 14/15 season might not show it, but Pearson instilled the mentality and determination in that group to believe in themselves, hence the 'Great Escape'. 
  • He deserves some credit for laying the foundations of getting us up to the Premier League and keeping us up. Several players credit Pearson with giving them a chance and believing in them, giving them the opportunity in a team that gelled very, very well. 
  • Pearson 'not doing the same' is not the equivalent to saying he had no part in the title win. Even if he didn't win the title, he assembled a lot of that squad that Ranieri inherited. It's not disrespectful to give Pearson some credit for that. Not one Leicester fan ever thinks it, or even is, disrespectful to Ranieri by saying Pearson should get some credit.
  • Pearson brought in a lot of the backroom staff that Ranieri used and profited from. It's not just about the 11 or 18 that played on the pitch. I know you don't think highly of Walsh, but he was perfect for us and found so many gems or experienced players that are still here today with us, or at least left in the last couple of seasons. Same with Shakespeare. Ranieri didn't even want Kante to be signed!

Ironically I just think it's disingenuous and disrespectful to just totally ignore what Pearson did for our club, and have some part in that 15/16 season despite not being there. Yeah he might not have won the league (obviously) and wouldn't have done, but that's not to say he should just be discredited with anything. To say he's just on the hype of his media presence just means you don't know enough about him. So many players who played with him at Leicester speak seriously highly of him and state that what you see in the media is not what you get day-to-day when being managed by him. I'd rather accept their opinions!

On 05/04/2021 at 20:59, Stan said:

Nothing is definitely the wrong word.

• A lot of the 14/15 season might not show it, but Pearson instilled the mentality and determination in that group to believe in themselves, hence the 'Great Escape'. 
  • He deserves some credit for laying the foundations of getting us up to the Premier League and keeping us up. Several players credit Pearson with giving them a chance and believing in them, giving them the opportunity in a team that gelled very, very well. 
  • Pearson 'not doing the same' is not the equivalent to saying he had no part in the title win. Even if he didn't win the title, he assembled a lot of that squad that Ranieri inherited. It's not disrespectful to give Pearson some credit for that. Not one Leicester fan ever thinks it, or even is, disrespectful to Ranieri by saying Pearson should get some credit.
  • Pearson brought in a lot of the backroom staff that Ranieri used and profited from. It's not just about the 11 or 18 that played on the pitch. I know you don't think highly of Walsh, but he was perfect for us and found so many gems or experienced players that are still here today with us, or at least left in the last couple of seasons. Same with Shakespeare. Ranieri didn't even want Kante to be signed!

Ironically I just think it's disingenuous and disrespectful to just totally ignore what Pearson did for our club, and have some part in that 15/16 season despite not being there. Yeah he might not have won the league (obviously) and wouldn't have done, but that's not to say he should just be discredited with anything. To say he's just on the hype of his media presence just means you don't know enough about him. So many players who played with him at Leicester speak seriously highly of him and state that what you see in the media is not what you get day-to-day when being managed by him. I'd rather accept their opinions!

Whilst it's not disputed that the foundations for Leicester City's eventual success were laid during Nigel Pearson's tenure, it comes across as somewhat disrespectful to the recruitment team and the coaching staff Leicester City had at the time to suggest that Bristol City can repeat their success because they've hired 'the mighty' Nigel Pearson as Dan has alluded too. 

He's shown throughout his career an inability to adapt to working with certain characters and given over ten teams are under a transfer embargo it comes across as extremely narrow minded to think that'll he easily be able to orchestrate an overhaul in the current climate that could be anywhere near as successful.

Whilst he's been successful in two spells at Leicester City there's a reason the likes of Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock and Tony Pulis havent been successful at every Championship club they've managed despite previously enjoying promotion(s). Sometimes, whilst difficult, people need to look at the whole picture instead of just focusing on good achievements. It's a classic example of that here with Leicester City and Nigel Pearson 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst it's not disputed that the foundations for Leicester City's eventual success were laid during Nigel Pearson's tenure, it comes across as somewhat disrespectful to the recruitment team and the coaching staff Leicester City had at the time to suggest that Bristol City can repeat their success because they've hired 'the mighty' Nigel Pearson as Dan has alluded too. 

He's shown throughout his career an inability to adapt to working with certain characters and given over ten teams are under a transfer embargo it comes across as extremely narrow minded to think that'll he easily be able to orchestrate an overhaul in the current climate that could be anywhere near as successful.

Whilst he's been successful in two spells at Leicester City there's a reason the likes of Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock and Tony Pulis havent been successful at every Championship club they've managed despite previously enjoying promotion(s). Sometimes, whilst difficult, people need to look at the whole picture instead of just focusing on good achievements. It's a classic example of that here with Leicester City and Nigel Pearson 

But @Whiskey directly referenced the time at Leicester so I was just responding to that :what:

If it makes it easier to save time

• He was absolutely amazing for us. No one can doubt or question that.
  • We don't think he's the best manager ever to grace the earth
  • We may exaggerate his quality but that's based on seeing what he can do when he was with us
  • I accept he does have shortcomings and has 'failed' elsewhere
  • I took umbrage to him being totally discredited with what we achieved. That's probably as bad as you guys thinking we overstate his qualities as a manager.
  • I also took umbrage to how people perceive him - they see the media persona and go off that, which is just a basic and lazy thing to do and not look further for what he's actually like. 
  • Don't know about @Dan but when it comes to 'easily orchestrate an overhaul' I don't believe that's the case; there's probably the affection there to think but also know he does have the ability to do it. Agree in current climate it's much more difficult but it's perspectives at the end of the day. When he came and managed us, it wasn't all rosy from the start in terms of results. There had to be a lot of deadwood cleared out and it took time, and lots of setbacks along the way, to get us to be a promotion candidate and then actually do it.  

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I don't think Bristol City will ever do what we've done in the last few years - but what I do think he can do there, is better than anything they've done in my memory, if he's given time to bring in his own staff and players. I know a Bristol City fan who wants the majority of their squad binning off, says it's a mess behind the scenes that needs fixing.

To me it was the year on year improvement under him that convinces me with him. You always felt it was going in the right direction even when things weren't quite working out at the moment.

Like I said previously though, if they aren't going to give him that time that I allude to, then I don't think there was any point bringing him in in the first place. He's no short-term fix. If they didn't see that then they made an error bringing him in.

I think the reason he gets a lot of credit for 2015/16 with our fans is that the good run started in 2014/15. The way we finished that season was incredible. A real sign that we'd cracked it at that level and he'd already signed Fuchs, Huth & Okazaki, with Kante to follow. I doubt we'd have won the league, but we'd have definitely done well.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Good luck to them. That's huge faith in somebody that has been quite frankly abysmal.

This. He’s been fucking shite. Bristol naive enough to think they are Leicester 2.0. 

• 6 months later...

I think Nigel Pearson has been very disappointing. I did expect alot more to be honest. I spoke to a city fan the other day who thinks they should stick with him and city are not a sacking club. However they are getting near the relegation zone and would be even nearer without derbies deduction so not sure if he will be here much longer 

• Subscriber

I've got a mate who supports them and I actually went to their game a few weeks ago away at Coventry. They were 1 up at half time against 10 men yet ended up losing 3-2. It was pitiful, Coventry were basically everything I hoped he'd turn Bristol City into.

There is a chance he's genuinely done in all honesty. I said this really is the sink or swim job and so far I'd say he's probably sinking. Their squad is bad and I don't think anybody would do anything great with it but they've been poor, no hiding from that.

• 1 year later...

Archived