The Wheel of Time Series (2021) on Amazon Prime Video

football forum

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/09/2021 at 04:30, Eco said:

Didn't see a thread about this, but it's coming in November. 

Never read the books, but I've been meaning to, but my dam book queue is too long. 

Anybody excited about this? 

Yes! Wasn't on my radar at all and now I found out its dropping next month. 

I loved the books so definitely looking forward to this, given it looks like they've done a proper job with it. 

It may suffer from high expectations and comparisons to Game of Thrones, because there are similarities, but it's quite different and probably won't have the same level of mainstream appeal as GOT. But if it goes in low key and generates hype on release I could see it becoming a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this drops in the next 48 hours. Expectations not high. So many books is almost a course on being able to do the requisite character development and slow stuff more generally. Worried it'll suffer the issue of the short seasons of Thrones of cramming too much in.

• Subscriber
On 18/11/2021 at 14:09, Harry said:

I think this drops in the next 48 hours. Expectations not high. So many books is almost a course on being able to do the requisite character development and slow stuff more generally. Worried it'll suffer the issue of the short seasons of Thrones of cramming too much in.

Have you watched it yet?

17 hours ago, nudge said:

Have you watched it yet?

Yeah. First episode only. (Of three released)

Fairly positive so far. Much more LOTR than Game of Thrones. 

Not unexpected but potentially GOT fans would find the amount of magic a bit jarring if they'd heard any "next Game of Thrones" hype from the book fans circles.

Its more niche and won't have the same wide ranging appeal, but looks like it'll be a solid show. Amazing source material, excellent production value, and a pretty epic scale. Sure to be enjoyed by fans of the fantasy genre. As a book fan I'll definitely be watching it.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah. First episode only. (Of three released)

Fairly positive so far. Much more LOTR than Game of Thrones. 

Not unexpected but potentially GOT fans would find the amount of magic a bit jarring if they'd heard any "next Game of Thrones" hype from the book fans circles.

Its more niche and won't have the same wide ranging appeal, but looks like it'll be a solid show. Amazing source material, excellent production value, and a pretty epic scale. Sure to be enjoyed by fans of the fantasy genre. As a book fan I'll definitely be watching it.

Yeah, I'm personally not much into high fantasy, so unsure if I should give it a go or not. That said, I enjoyed His Dark Materials and absolutely love Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, so it's not that I'm completely turned off by magic and shit.

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I'm personally not much into high fantasy, so unsure if I should give it a go or not. That said, I enjoyed His Dark Materials and absolutely love Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, so it's not that I'm completely turned off by magic and shit.

In that case I suspect you wouldn't enjoy it that much.

No need to get on at the ground level. Give it chance to pick up steam, and wait to see if it becomes a juggernaut. 

It's a great series, the books got better and better towards the end, and the complexity and the build of the main story towards the crescendo was the best I've seen, but if the show gets cancelled halfway through it will leave a sour taste.

An interesting parallel on these books to GOT was that Robert Jordan took so long to write them that he died before they were finished. But luckily a great author was prepped and took over and finished the series. Without doubt that's the path we're on with a Song of Ice and Fire, with 10.5 years and counting from book 5 to book 6, at least two more books due and GRRM an overweight 73 year old.

Archived