talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League One & Two 2022/23 - The Run-In

football forum

• Administrator

Who will rise up to the Championship, and who may drop out of the EFL altogether...?!

LEAGUE ONE
Promotion Picture:
Capture.JPG

A 3-way title race between Sheff Wednesday, Plymouth, Ipswich. Barnsley look sure of a play-off spot as a bare minimum, while 5 other teams battle for the remaining 3 play-off spots.

Key Fixtures:
22/04/23 - Peterborough vs Ipswich
25/04/23 - Barnsley vs Ipswich
29/04/23 - Derby vs Portsmouth
07/05/23 (final day) - Barnsley vs Peterborough, Portsmouth vs Wycombe, Sheff Weds vs Derby

Relegation Battle:
Capture.JPG

Realistically, Forest Green are pretty much down and MK Dons/Oxford probably just need another 7-8 points to survive

Key Fixtures:
29/04/23 - Accrington vs Cambridge
29/04/23 - Forest Green vs Oxford
07/05/23 (final day) - Cambridge vs Forest Green, Oxford vs Accrington

LEAGUE TWO
Promotion Picture:

Capture.JPG

Leyton Orient just need 2-3 more wins to secure automatic promotion. Then only 5 points separate Stockport in 3rd down to Mansfield in 8th. Barrow have an outside chance...

Key Fixtures:
15/04/23 - Carlisle vs Northampton
18/04/23 - Carlisle vs Stockport
22/04/23 - Barrow vs Carlisle, Mansfield vs Stevenage
25/04/23 - Mansfield vs Leyton Orient
29/04/23 - Carlisle vs Salford, Leyton Orient vs Stockport, Northampton vs Bradford
08/05/23 (final day) - Barrow vs Stevenage, Bradford vs Leyton Orient

Relegation Battle:
Capture.JPG

Rochdale look down and out, while it's a 4-way battle to avoid the final relegation spot down to the National League...

Key Fixtures:
18/04/23 - Colchester vs Crawley
22/04/23 - Hartlepool vs Crawley
08/05/23 (final day) - Harrogate vs Rochdale

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All eyes on Sheffield Wednesday's continued bottle job.

Defeat at Burton yesterday, just one win in their last eight now, and they are sweating on Plymouth and Ipswich slipping up now. Both of those have a game in hand on Wednesday in all, and so do Barnsley in 4th who are still in it.

It's a great race to be fair and when you factor in the playoffs, Bolton (who've already won at Wembley thumping Plymouth) will be a tough nut and also Derby should they make it.

League One is better than the Championship this year for me.

• Subscriber

Forest Green relegated to League Two.

Leyton Orient will be promoted on Saturday if they win and other results go in their favour.

And most importantly, Grimsby are officially safe from relegation.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Forest Green relegated to League Two.

Leyton Orient will be promoted on Saturday if they win and other results go in their favour.

And most importantly, Grimsby are officially safe from relegation.

Must be very happy with that, and not having to endure any kind of relegation battle?? Plus a cup run of sorts too. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Tomorrow if they win!

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Must be very happy with that, and not having to endure any kind of relegation battle?? Plus a cup run of sorts too. 

Absolutely. I know the majority of our Twitter 'fans' are classing this season as somewhat of a bad one but personally, I'm delighted we've not been caught up in the relegation battle and we've shown a good account of ourselves in the FA Cup as well. Yes, our home record hasn't been the greatest all season but we've done a lot of things right and we're moving in the right direction.

On 16/04/2023 at 07:18, Lucas said:

All eyes on Sheffield Wednesday's continued bottle job.

Defeat at Burton yesterday, just one win in their last eight now, and they are sweating on Plymouth and Ipswich slipping up now. Both of those have a game in hand on Wednesday in all, and so do Barnsley in 4th who are still in it.

It's a great race to be fair and when you factor in the playoffs, Bolton (who've already won at Wembley thumping Plymouth) will be a tough nut and also Derby should they make it.

League One is better than the Championship this year for me.

Really disappointed in Wednesday's collaspe.  Can't see them finishing top two now and they probably will have to beat Barnsley in the playoffs to get out of League One.  Barnsley have already beat them twice this year.

I blame my cousin, Wednesday had not lost in 22 games I think, and she went to her first game in years, home to Bolton that was 8 games ago. One win since.

3 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Really disappointed in Wednesday's collaspe.  Can't see them finishing top two now and they probably will have to beat Barnsley in the playoffs to get out of League One.  Barnsley have already beat them twice this year.

I blame my cousin, Wednesday had not lost in 22 games I think, and she went to her first game in years, home to Bolton that was 8 games ago. One win since.

So often happens when the gloryhunters jump on the bandwagon :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Duncan Ferguson: Relegation will 'hurt for some time', says Forest Green boss

Forest Green's relegation will be "hurting for quiet some time", says head coach Duncan Ferguson.

The Gloucestershire club's return to League Two next season was confirmed by Saturday's 5-1 Barnsley defeat.......

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

So often happens when the gloryhunters jump on the bandwagon :ph34r:

Actually she was born a Wednesdayite, comes from a long line of Wednesday fans, she's also 65 but has had health issues and couldn't attend in person, even though she lives within walking distance of Hillsborough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

All but one set of fixtures completed for Leagues One & Two.

Here's how it looks before the final fixtures on Sunday and Monday respectively:

LEAGUE ONE PLAY-OFFS:
Capture.JPG

Sheff Weds vs Derby
Barnsley vs Peterborough

- Derby just need to match Peterborough's result to confirm 6th place.
- Peterborough have to win and hope Derby lose, or win by 3 goals if Derby draw (head to head is decided on Goals Scored if level on points and goal difference). 

LEAGUE ONE RELEGATION:
Capture.JPG

Oxford vs Accrington
Burton vs MK Dons
Exeter vs Morecambe
Cambridge vs Forest Green

- Oxford just need to draw to survive; if they lose, they need to hope MK Dons and Morecambe both don't win
- MK Dons need to match Morecambe's result. If MK Dons draw, they need to hope Cambridge and Morecambe don't win. 
- Morecambe have to better MK Dons' result.
- Cambridge have to win, and hope both MK Dons & Morecambe don't win. 

LEAGUE TWO AUTOMATIC PROMOTION:
Capture.JPG

Tranmere vs Northampton
Stockport vs Hartlepool

- Northampton simply have to match Stockport's result
- Stockport have to win and hope Northampton lose or draw. 

LEAGUE TWO PLAY-OFFS:
Capture.JPG

Sutton vs Carlisle
Salford vs Gillingham
Bradford vs Leyton Orient
Colchester vs Mansfield

- Carlisle, Salford and Bradford all just have to match Mansfield's result to be sure of play-offs
- Mansfield have to win and hope there's a swing of goals in their favour against one of the other 3 teams - Bradford (3 goal swing); Salford (4 goal swing); Carlisle (8 goal swing)

I bet Northampton Town fans must be absolutely dreading final day heartbreak again.

I don't think anything will quite beat Bristol Rovers needing to win 7-0 to jump above them for the final automatic spot last season.

You got to fancy Stockport at home there against a relegated side and then Northampton know they got to win at Tranmere who are a bit of a wildcard in that league.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived