talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United

football forums

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Tell you what, for all I've bashed us look at Leeds. Still no new signing in. I don't give them a great chance of going back up. I can see visible effort to fix things at our end. I can't say the same here.

I'm definitely envious we've not just been able to just crack on and rebuild our squad but out of the three relegated clubs, we've had it the most difficult by far. So you should count yourself lucky it's been a reasonably seemless transition for yourselves like Saints.

The takeover (which is STILL waiting on ratification from the EFL) has stalled things by a good three to four weeks and has dragged far too long which has ultimately meant decisions have had to be made later than sooner.

For example, it took longer to confirm a manager than Leicester or Southampton, so Farke's had to play catch up from the off. Not the best start for him.

On top of that, we've had several outgoings to contend with (bar Rodrigo they can all gladly go too to be fair) but we have so much uncertaintity about who stays or the one's we want to keep, so hands have been a bit tied. 

I mean, for Leicester, it's mainly about Maddison and Barnes. One's gone, got the money for him and can start spending it which you have. The other probably will go soon.

The rest I don't think have been as coveted by clubs as much as ours, especially when you look at how many outgoings we have had and the fact they have mainly all been loans due to the contracts that were initially negotiated. So we've not actually been able to go out and spend money willy nilly till everything's been in place with the takeover.

We've suffered massively because of the previous regime which shows how embarassing it was to fail with a reasonably talented squad, and expectations for this season have to be tempered somewhat due to how much change the club is going through. It's annoying but for me, I think it'll be a bonus if we go up, I don't expect it straight away.

Let's also remember we actually havent lost the players we'd love to stay like Adams, Gnonto, Harrison, Sinisterra, Summerville, Wober etc and as much as we want them to stay, we don't actually know if these need replacing yet. 

Be a massive bonus of we can keep a few of them because they are above quality for this divison easily.

You won't see the best of us till mid/late September I feel. I'm expecting a very win/loss, win/loss first 7-8 games.

Edited by Lucas

• The title was changed to Leeds United

As discussed briefly with Cicero on the Chelsea thread, quite happy with this one as our first signing.

£7m for a 22 year old (which surprised me as he seems to have been around forever) and a solid defensive midfielder who can play CB if needed.

Has plenty of years ahead of him for development and it feels like after 3 loans, he needs that fresh start somewhere permanent where he can see himself staying for the next few years.

Could be a likely replacement for Adams of course, we'll see. But a good start at least.

Edited by Lucas

Finally, it's done. Taken its bloody time and cost us about 4 weeks of preperation but, it's done.

Interesting to see how many American Sportstars are investing too. Looks like Lebron James and Patrick Mahomes missed a trick.

In all seriousness, it's been a good day. Looking forward to every man and his dog being linked now but, I just hope this is enough for the big players to give it a go next season.

If we can field a team keeping the likes of Gnonto, Sinisterra, Adams, Wober, get a season out of Rutter, add four or five fresh faces, you'd like to think we'll be competitive.

Its just convincing those players now.

Edited by Lucas

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick Bamford hamstring injury yesterday a week before Cardiff. Just textbook Bamford that. The only way it could have been any more 'Leedsy' is if he pinged it the day after the window shut. No idea yet how long we've lost him for.

Rutter taken off early too with a stomach strain. Got to pray the diagnosis on both is not too severe but the desperation for a striker now is huge, no idea who would lead the line on Sunday now.

Just go get Piroe. Stop pratting about and get it done.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Patrick Bamford hamstring injury yesterday a week before Cardiff. Just textbook Bamford that. The only way it could have been any more 'Leedsy' is if he pinged it the day after the window shut. No idea yet how long we've lost him for.

Rutter taken off early too with a stomach strain. Got to pray the diagnosis on both is not too severe but the desperation for a striker now is huge, no idea who would lead the line on Sunday now.

Just go get Piroe. Stop pratting about and get it done.

You'll still win convincingly I think. Just unsure what to expect from us.

Plus I'm really shitting a brick if I see Gnonto go up against Jack Simpson at any point in time.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Just go get Piroe.

Sounds like it's between us, Southampton and yourselves for this guy. £15-20m asking price from Swansea.

I wish we'd also stop faffing about with attacking options in the transfer market, but seems like desperation on Leeds' side might play a part and maybe you'll make the first 'official' move. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Sounds like it's between us, Southampton and yourselves for this guy. £15-20m asking price from Swansea.

I wish we'd also stop faffing about with attacking options in the transfer market, but seems like desperation on Leeds' side might play a part and maybe you'll make the first 'official' move. 

There's no guarantee any of us do the deal to be fair. Swansea are going to milk it for all it's worth and I think he probably is being overpriced.

All three of us are cautious not to overspend on someone with a year left, it's just whose going to be the most desperate and pay it.

And I think right now, all three of us probably are that desperate xD

Striker - Georgino Rutter - Out for the first two games, wait and see after that.

Striker - Patrick Bamford - Out till the first international break (First 5 League Games)

Striker - Matteo Joseph (From the U23's) Rolled ankle in training Tuesday, on crutches, out the first three to four weeks indefinitely with ligament damage.

This club, honestly. Cursed. August is going to feel a very very long month for us, especially as whilst they are here, Adams, Harrison, Drameh, Dallas etc are not options currently for us through injury.

Our season feels like it'll start at Millwall on September 17th after the internationals which by then, we will hopefully have some injured players back and we'll also know for definite whose stayed, who hasn't, and whose come in.

Until then, got to grin and bear it.

Edited by Lucas

Wow. This is genuinely unbelievable bad luck.

As if we've not had bad enough luck with injuries already, we've now lost Summerville who looked so lively Sunday not to mention the Captain.

When you consider what's already hindered us preperation wise, and now we get this kick in the teeth.

Why is it never the really really shit ones?

11 squad members in the injury room. Eleven. And it's August. Christ.

You got to say, there are genuinely 6-7 first teamers there. Crazy.

Edited by Lucas

Well, after those injuries they simply had to act.

Joe Rodon on a season long loan from Spurs looks close, as does Max Aarons from Norwich on a permanent from Norwich. Two players that instantly improve the First XI. 

Bit surprised about Aarons, I felt LB was more a pressing need and we have Drameh too when he's back from injury but it's clear Farke's not having Ayling there which is fine by me. Perhaps Drameh is off, sure it'll all come out soon.

Gustavo Hamer heavily in the mix says Phil Hay from The Athletic, although Coventry are digging their heels in on the price. Leeds firmly interested. Sheffield United also involved now they are on the verge of selling Sander Berge to Burnley.

I'd absolutely love to see him come in but we'll see, lots to do with that one yet and contrary to opinion, Sheff Utd are currently in the Premier League, whether that lasts a season or not. They can offer more wages. 

Nothing on a striker yet but it feels like movement is finally happening which also means, someone/s leaving. Adams to Chelsea close, I suspect maybe more in the background too.

Just as Farke predicted, this is going to be a long fee weeks and this squad is going to look different come the start of September. Just a shame it's taken so long for the Chess pieces to move.

Edited by Lucas

In less than a week, we've gone from starting Gnonto, Summerville and Sinisterra v Cardiff, to Poveda, Shackleton and Gelhardt v Brum.

Summerville injury, Gnonto not happy with no sale, and now Sinsiterra looks to have done the same. Not even in the squad.

Absolute turmoil.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66537288

Leeds have been fined £150,000 by the Football Association for homophobic chanting in their match with Brighton.

The incident occurred during their 2-2 home draw with the Seagulls in the Premier League in March.

In its written reasons, the independent commission said: "The use of the phrases is obviously and plainly discriminatory and highly derogatory."

Leeds have accepted the fine and said in a statement they "need to increase work we are doing with our fanbase".

Among a number of findings of the incident that happened around the 20th minute of the match, the commission said: "The volume of the chanting leads to the inevitable conclusion that a very considerable number of Leeds supporters engaged in this homophobic chanting and that it was not a brief event."The evidence suggests there was a very significant number of Leeds supporters involved in the homophobic chanting.

"This conclusion is supported by the fact that the post-match complaint was based on the chanting being clearly audible on national radio."

It added: "There were very substantial deficiencies as to pre-match planning by Leeds."The fact that [at most] only two [and perhaps no] Leeds supporters have been identified for this offensive behaviour is disappointing but reflective of a lack of any or any proper contingency planning.

"The commission categorised the culpability of Leeds in its lack of proper pre-match planning, lack of properly evidenced immediate appropriate reaction to the misconduct, and lack of properly evidenced post-match response as high."

Leeds have also been given an action plan that requires them conduct a full review of their stewarding and "evaluate their current CCTV capabilities".

The Whites were relegated to the Championship last season and have taken one point from their two games so far this campaign.

Absolutely brilliant man management from Farke. In what's been a really testing period, he's coming out of this so well and I've nothing but praise for how he's handled this Gnonto situation.

He took a firm stance by making him train away from the team and equally, he's given him another chance realising kids make mistakes. It can only act as motivation for Gnonto now surely.

As I said in the Gnonto transfer thread, his agent has been a right cunt and advised him of all the wrong things to do. 

He's a 19 year old kid whose realised he's bit off more than he can chew and gracefully apoligised. I can't fault that.

He will need to win the fans back over because his name's been mud but in true Football fashion, if his performances on the pitch are good enough, fans will be fans and will forget.

Looks like Sinisterra is also back in the fold now although I still wouldn't coubt my chickens him and Gnonto stay.

Edited by Lucas

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen Radrizanni's thrown his 'good friend' Angus Kinnear under the bus for the relegation release clauses that were included in several contracts as he claims he got Angus to proof read the contracts on his behalf before he'd sign them off.

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've had some terrible injury records in recent times and recently lost Djed Spence, a new signing we've seen 10mins of, to a knee ligament injury. 

But does it end there? Not a chance. We've now we've lost Gnonto to ankle ligaments. That's a big miss because in this division, he is such a class player.

This club is definitely cursed.

Edited by Lucas

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a brief assessment of Farke and Leeds as we have played 11 games (about 25% of the season done) and can reflect on things during the International break.

I have to say, the signings we've made all look like pretty good business.

Ethan Ampadu has been supurb. I'm convinced he'll turn out to be a steal at his price and I can see him winning the Player of the Season award already. Just what we needed losing Tyler Adams.

Joel Piroe is still finding his feet in this system with Rutter when the two of them swap but it's a change from what he was used to at Swansea so will take time. 5 goals from 8 games is a good return so far for him. And ultimately, that's what we want from him.

Glen Kamara has only had 3 starts but he's looked a very tidy player in two of them. Looks extremely composed and good at breaking the lines. Seems to compliment Ampadu well and I can see him going from strength to strength

Joe Rodon is an absolute warhorse at the back. Seems to head everything and loves throwing his body on the line. Been quite impressed with his pace too. Ok, got an unfortunate Red Card the other week at Hull but by and large, he's looked very solid back there and I've been impressed with his partnership with Struijk.

Jaidon Anthony's had a few off the bench appearances, but definitely looks lively. Still feeling his way a bit but looks a decent squad player so far.

Not really seen anything of Darlow, Spence and Gruev to judge much on yet.

Of the existing players we had, I've got to give credit firstly to Georginho Rutter. All that pressure of the price tag he signed for in January and struggling to adapt to the league, he's now had a fresh start here under Farke and he's blossoming into a real threat. Already looks like a key player in our system and whilst his finishing needs major work, his build up play and assisiting is really impressive.

Whilst everyone talked about Willy Gnonto pre season (only made four appearances so far due to injury) Crysensio Summerville is like lightening in this league. The fact he's the most fouled player in the division shows how skillful and quick footed he is and he should really have a couple more goals and assists to his name to show for his performances. He's got to be up there as one of the best wingers in this division.

And lastly, Archie Gray, 17 years old and taking to his first season like a duck to water. Played predominantly in midfield but shifted to Right Back on Saturday, he has so much poise and composure for someone so young. What I love about him is his willingness to receive the ball and more importantly, playing the right ball. If he continues like this, he's going to the top and we'll be lucky to keep him for a couple years.

With Djed Spence and Willy Gnonto to come back who you'd class as 'Starting eleven players', and Bamford as a bench option, we are looking reasonably strong.

As predicted, we were always going to have a slow start after only appointing Farke four weeks before the season started, with all the unrest over the takeover, players moving out, others linked elsewhere, injuries and not being able to press ahead and make early signings.

The 2nd and 3rd games at Birmingham and home to West Brom may as well have been write offs with what we had available to us to use at the time. It was extremely frustrating given how poor those sides looked.

But he stayed composed, he knew it would be a challenge and it would take time.

Well, we're starting to see his ideas implemented more and more now in our play and whilst we have lacked some clinicality in a few games, we are showing we're still a big threat.

There's been a few games where we've won by a goal but should have put a two or three goal lead between us such was the dominance. Equally, we've had a couple games we dropped silly points again through not being clinical enough. So its been far from perfect.

But, when we do get our nose infront in games, we look better for it and the confidence begins to flow. To be 5th with what we had on our plate is better than I anticipated at this stage and we've really yet to click fully.

You'd like to think that maybe by the time we get to Christmas in 12 or so games time, we'll be much closer to the Top 2 assuming this side carries on progressing.

I'd certainly feel disappointed if we weren't tbh, we've really only looked 2nd best in one game so far, and that was arguably only one half of football, first half at Southampton.

Got some interesting games to come after the break, away at Norwich and Leicester, which look good tests for us to see where we are in the sceme of things.

But so far, I'd have to rate things around the 6.5/7 out of 10 mark.

Reasonably solid, flashes of brilliance, but in the main good but plenty to improve on.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I've only been able to watch a couple matches so far this season but one thing I will say is that Leeds don't look like a club with a relegation hangover.  Yes, there was a slow start but it seems to me that they are just picking up pace now.  I don't think that both Ipswich and Leicester will maintain their current pace simultaneously, so being within 3-5 points of the top 2 come Christmas would be a success.

Also, shout out to Farke.  No, he's not Bielsa, but he is winning over the fans and I hope he gets a few seasons at Leeds to work his magic.

• 2 months later...