talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United

11 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

@Lucas Any particular reason you binned off Djed?

From what I've read, Spence was liked at the club but Farke on a few occasions had to tell him he wanted to see a change in his attitude towards training and a matchday.

It's obviously wore thin and Farke see's it as detrimental to the team spirit if Spence isn't busting a gut.

Shame, he has the talent but fair enough in my book.

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Stan said:

Summerville wins Player of the Season, but Szmodics has been absolutely robbed. 

Thing is, if you are basing these things on goals scored or whatever, you'd say Adam Armstrong who collectively has the most goals and assists has been robbed too. But then you need to look beyond that sometimes as to what a player contributes overall. Most goals doesn't always mean beast player.

I think Summerville has got it because he's arguably the most destructive/eye catching player in the league. For us, it all seems to go through him and you see how many times he skins players, scores goals etc. But it's also hard on players like Dewsbury-Hall who has contributed massively and a lot of their work can go unnoticed.

No surprise Archie Gray wins Young Player. Started the season as a boy and come what may, will finish it as a man.

Nice to have three players in Team of the Year too although I don't entirely agree with the XI.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Thing is, if you are basing these things on goals scored or whatever, you'd say Adam Armstrong who collectively has the most goals and assists has been robbed too. But then you need to look beyond that sometimes as to what a player contributes overall. Most goals doesn't always mean beast player.

I think Summerville has got it because he's arguably the most destructive/eye catching player in the league. For us, it all seems to go through him and you see how many times he skins players, scores goals etc. But it's also hard on players like Dewsbury-Hall who has contributed massively and a lot of their work can go unnoticed.

No surprise Archie Gray wins Young Player. Started the season as a boy and come what may, will finish it as a man.

Nice to have three players in Team of the Year too although I don't entirely agree with the XI.

Yeah fair points.

Gray is acceptable, don't mind that. He's a revelation and you'll be raking it in whenever he's sold.

Don't agree with some of the XI either - think Armstrong unfairly misses out (perhaps be in there instead of Rutter) as well as Ricardo for us.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah fair points.

Gray is acceptable, don't mind that. He's a revelation and you'll be raking it in whenever he's sold.

Don't agree with some of the XI either - think Armstrong unfairly misses out (perhaps be in there instead of Rutter) as well as Ricardo for us.

What is the XI?

Haven't seen it anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking this is the moment that really put Jansson out of Bielsa and Leeds plans @Lucas?

https://x.com/HLTCO/status/1784510413486395564

I think selling Jansson was probably one of the worst decisions the club made in terms of their long-term security. Cannot explain how integral he was to not only our promotion but to staying in the league and competing to a very good standard two seasons in a row. I think if Leeds still had him they'd be just a little bit more solid/organised at the back, even when he's not fit the standards he sets around the club are sky high.

It's no surprise that we have struggled defensively at times this season, of course there are a lot of other factors, but having him around to come in was really important when needed.

On 28/04/2024 at 17:37, Danny said:

Am I right in thinking this is the moment that really put Jansson out of Bielsa and Leeds plans @Lucas?

https://x.com/HLTCO/status/1784510413486395564

I think selling Jansson was probably one of the worst decisions the club made in terms of their long-term security. Cannot explain how integral he was to not only our promotion but to staying in the league and competing to a very good standard two seasons in a row. I think if Leeds still had him they'd be just a little bit more solid/organised at the back, even when he's not fit the standards he sets around the club are sky high.

It's no surprise that we have struggled defensively at times this season, of course there are a lot of other factors, but having him around to come in was really important when needed.

It actually had nothing to do with that, although I'm sure that didn't help.

The main problem was after the World Cup, the club gave Pontus the option to come back to pre season later due to his involvement.

However, Bielsa wasn't impressed that someone considered one of the leaders in the dressing room came back later than anticipated and wanted more commitment from him.

The other thing was, Pontus didn't have the ball playing skills that Bielsa wanted his centre back to have, and had no hesitation in selling and replacing with Ben White on loan, who was different calibre in fairness.

I was sad to see him go, he was a cult hero for us and an excellent transfer, but sometimes it doesnt work out. He was suited more to Brentford's style than ours and I don't think keeping him or not keeping him made a blind bit of difference tbh.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

It actually had nothing to do with that, although I'm sure that didn't help.

The main problem was after the World Cup, the club gave Pontus the option to come back to pre season later due to his involvement.

However, Bielsa wasn't impressed that someone considered one of the leaders in the dressing room came back later than anticipated and wanted more commitment from him.

The other thing was, Pontus didn't have the ball playing skills that Bielsa wanted his centre back to have, and had no hesitation in selling and replacing with Ben White on loan, who was different calibre in fairness.

I was sad to see him go, he was a cult hero for us and an excellent transfer, but sometimes it doesnt work out. He was suited more to Brentford's style than ours and I don't think keeping him or not keeping him made a blind bit of difference tbh.

Thats fair. I suppose its one of those weird things where, I do believe your chances of staying up would have been better had he been at the club, but then you make a fair point about White and ultimately he wouldn’t have been in Bielsa’s team to go up anyway.