• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ilkay Gundogan - Moves to Barcelona on Free Transfer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Ilkay Gundogan - Man City to Barcelona
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Big loss for Man City. Very influential. 

I'm hearing its a 3 year deal, big loss gutted  ...sky saying it's a 3 year deal too. 

Barcelona have agreed a deal to sign Ilkay Gundogan from Manchester City on a free transfer, with the midfielder set to pen a three-year contract.

The move has not been officially announced by either side but City have adopted a pragmatic approach due to the player's age and length of contract the 32-year-old was seeking, in keeping with similar situations over recent years.

Gundogan was in talks with City over a new deal, with his contract set to expire at the end of June.

However, the length of the deal on offer for the 32-year-old - one year plus an option of a further 12 months - was a sticking point. Arsenal were are also interested in Gundogan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12907277/ilkay-gundogan-barcelona-agree-deal-to-sign-man-city-midfielder-on-free-transfer

48 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

This has been on the cards for a while mate, I even told you before the final :coffee: @Happy Blue

TSFKRDk.gif

Yep, Barca have been sniffing for a bit but he only decided yesterday so City going to bid for Rice today now Gundo has decided to accept your offer. he wanted a longer contract from us to stay but we don't give long contracts to over 30's ..anyway are you pleased? great signing for you  ..and you have zero chance of getting Alavrez xD you cant even afford Bernardo :ph34r:

On 22/06/2023 at 13:17, Happy Blue said:

TSFKRDk.gif

Yep, Barca have been sniffing for a bit but he only decided yesterday so City going to bid for Rice today now Gundo has decided to accept your offer. he wanted a longer contract from us to stay but we don't give long contracts to over 30's ..anyway are you pleased? great signing for you  ..and you have zero chance of getting Alavrez xD you cant even afford Bernardo :ph34r:

Class signing with Busquets going.

I said a month ago that Gundo, Iñigo Martínez and Messi on frees, with a few more youngsters potentially brought through would have been a good summer as those 3 and Lewy would offer experience to a young squad. Messi obviously won't be happening but the other 2 look likely.

• Administrator

Confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66018062

Manchester City have confirmed captain Ilkay Gundogan will leave the club and join Barcelona on a free transfer.

Gundogan was offered a new contract by City but will instead move to the Spanish champions on a two-year deal.

The Germany midfielder, whose City contract expires at the end of June, said it had been a "total privilege and pleasure" to play for the club.

"Manchester has been my home and I have felt part of a very special family at City," Gundogan added in a statement.

The 32-year-old played 51 games in 2022-23, scoring 11 goals, as he played a key role in City winning the Treble.

He scored six goals in his final seven games - including a double in the 2-1 FA Cup final win over Manchester United.

Gundogan's contract with Barcelona has a buyout clause of 400m euros.

He joined City from Borussia Dortmund for a reported £20m in 2016, and was manager Pep Guardiola's first signing for the club.

Gundogan went on to make 304 appearances, scoring 60 goals, and won 12 major trophies - five Premier League titles, one Champions League, two FA Cups and four Carabao Cups.

He said he had experienced "hundreds of unforgettable moments" with City and captaining the side to the Treble was the "greatest experience" of his career.

He added: "First, I would like to thank Pep. To have been able to play under and learn from him for so long has been something I will never forget.

"I would also like to thank all my team-mates - past and present - who have all played such a special part in making my time here so amazing.

"Furthermore I would like to thank the incredible City fans. They have supported me from the moment I arrived, and I owe them all so much for their support."

• The title was changed to Ilkay Gundogan - Moves to Barcelona on Free Transfer

Archived