talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Venezuela

football forum

13 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

These authoritarians with expansionist land grab goals are really something else. The US flies military planes over Venezuela to deter them from stealing land that doesn't belong to them and does belong to a nation friendly to the US. Venezuela calls it a provocation.

Clearly someone's been taking lessons from Putin!

IMO The whole "Essequibo is venezuelan" is a diversion by Maduro. 

In order to the US lift its sanctions against Venezuela, Maduro promissed fair and free elections. The problem is, if that happened he would inevitably lose those elections. 

The chavistas are trying to create the poison and at the same time sell the antidote. The goal is to destabilize America's backyard with the intention of getting the Biden administration to make concessions on that promisse of free and fair elections. 

I don't believe guyanan oil reserves are the main aspect of this conflict. I mean, even if Venezuela got hold of them, they wouldn't able to do much. Chavez and Maduro turned PDVSA, the state-run oil company, into a shadow of its former self. It's incredibly corrupt and inefficient, I don't see how they would be able to increase production. 

Edited by El Profesor
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

IMO The whole "Essequibo is venezuelan" is a diversion by Maduro. 

In order to the US lift its sanctions against Venezuela, Maduro promissed fair and free elections. The problem is, if that happened he would inevitably lose those elections. 

The chavistas are trying to create the poison and at the same time sell the antidote. The goal is to destabilize America's backyard with the intention of getting the Biden administration to make concessions on that promisse of free and fair elections. 

I don't believe guyanan oil reserves are the main aspect of this conflict. I mean, even if Venezuela got hold of them, they wouldn't able to do much. Chavez and Maduro turned PDVSA, the state-run oil company, into a shadow of its former self. It's incredibly corrupt and inefficient, I don't see how they would be able to increase production. 

I would say it would be profoundly stupid for Maduro to go ahead with this annexation. Having said that, the kind of person that could lead an oil rich nation like Venezuela to economic failure is probably profoundly stupid.

50 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

This feels a bit unnecessary unless Guyana are not feeling support from the USA and UK.

Wanting a military alliance with the UK/US and buying US weapon systems is absolutely them feeling the support of the US and UK. This is the kind of support Saudi Arabia gets. Guyana will get US aid, that is then going to be turned around and spent on US weapon systems. In return, Guyana is armed to the teeth with advance military equipment as a deterrent to Venezuelan aggression. The US gets to feed its military industry complex, so they'll see it as tax dollars well spent.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wanting a military alliance with the UK/US and buying US weapon systems is absolutely them feeling the support of the US and UK. This is the kind of support Saudi Arabia gets. Guyana will get US aid, that is then going to be turned around and spent on US weapon systems. In return, Guyana is armed to the teeth with advance military equipment as a deterrent to Venezuelan aggression. The US gets to feed its military industry complex, so they'll see it as tax dollars well spent.

That’s fair. I could have figured that out to be honest but I read it too quickly and jumped to a conclusion at the first point 😂

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

That’s fair. I could have figured that out to be honest but I read it too quickly and jumped to a conclusion at the first point 😂

The military alliance with the US and UK is also a very strong deterrent, if they have a signed alliance it means an attack on Guyana will be responded to by all 3 nations. The huge increase in troops was probably a concession they need to make because the US and UK most likely don't want the optics of sending in troops to fight for oil companies and want to be able to point to the fact that they're strengthening Guyana so that it can defend itself if need be.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...