talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League - FINAL - Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid - Saturday 1st June, 2024

Dortmund were the better side in the 1st half and with a bit more luck, they could have been at least 1 goal up at half-time. In the 2nd half though, Real Madrid's performance improved, even though Dortmund were still a danger themselves. Dortmund deserve respect for the impressive and gutsy performance they gave, but ultimately Real Madrid showed their quality by taking and scoring from the some of the chances that came their way. 

It was a great header by Carvajal from a beautiful corner cross by Kroos, that gave Real the lead. But the 2nd goal was really a gift by Dortmund, with Maatsen producing that poor pass that gave possession away to Bellingham, who put Vinicius Jnr through on goal to score Real's 2nd goal. Dortmund were a bit unlucky in the final, it would have been nice to see them win, but ultimately we have to congratulate Real Madrid on the win. Their record in the Champions League over the past 10 years has been very impressive.

• Subscriber
On 02/06/2024 at 17:10, Stan said:

Rio xD

Useless. Offers little or next to little whenever on comms or as a pundit. 

Vinicius is quality but the goal wasn't anything special anyway xD

They've got the likes of Horncastle under contract and they wheel this bloke out for the big one. English media is the pits.

• Subscriber

I read far too much stuff in the media about how Real Madrid aren't really that good. It really is total bollocks. They just simply don't fit the narratives and parameters that have been created. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy and no amount of success they have seems to be able to shift this view that they aren't very good. They're single minded from top to bottom. Win win win. I've come to admire them. With Real Madrid in this competition you have to absolutely strangle them to death. You can't just put pressure on for a while and not take the chances. Surely everybody who has watched enough of the competition at half time had a good idea of what was going to play out.

Adding Mbappe to this as well. They've won 6 of the last 11 Champions Leagues (but aren't very good apparently) and they're likely to add to this. I bet they make it 8 in 15 at least. Not enough clubs in the game have their single mindedness. You see that response to winning a Champions League and compare how Bayern have responded to that shocker of a last season - where is the competition coming from? I see none other than Manchester City really.

On 03/06/2024 at 06:30, Mel81x said:

I wonder when the format changes whether we'll actually see this Madrid dominance considering how the group stages start to lay themselves out. But, you have to give it to them, they really own the Champions League. You have to put away at least 3 goals in the first half to put any kind of pressure on them and even then, a substitution can totally change their game. 

Well the new format should favour them given they will face weaker teams if they have the best record