• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Amadou Onana - Everton to Villa in £50m Deal

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I was hoping we'd get a bit more for him. Maybe Villa said we'll give you an extra £5m for Dobbin if you knock off £5m from Onana's fee when he leaves the Euros.

Not overly fussed anyway. He's a valuable player who's worth more to other clubs than to us because he doesn't really work in a Dyche midfield and couldn't nail down a place in the team ahead of Garner, Gueye and Doucoure. Good for all parties to move on.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I was hoping we'd get a bit more for him. Maybe Villa said we'll give you an extra £5m for Dobbin if you knock off £5m from Onana's fee when he leaves the Euros.

Not overly fussed anyway. He's a valuable player who's worth more to other clubs than to us because he doesn't really work in a Dyche midfield and couldn't nail down a place in the team ahead of Garner, Gueye and Doucoure. Good for all parties to move on.

Still quite hefty that you could reinvest that money into a player that Dyche does work with. 

What other areas of the squad need improving? Striker? Wingers? 

You'll get even more money for Branthwaite no doubt, too. 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Still quite hefty that you could reinvest that money into a player that Dyche does work with. 

What other areas of the squad need improving? Striker? Wingers? 

You'll get even more money for Branthwaite no doubt, too. 

I don't think Branthwaite will leave this summer unless someone makes a once in a lifetime bid for him.

We probably want a centre back and certainly a winger. A striker as well if Calvert-Lewin leaves.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think Branthwaite will leave this summer unless someone makes a once in a lifetime bid for him.

£70m? £80m?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

£70m? £80m?

£70m is the club's valuation. They'd probably sell for a nicely structured deal at that price. Man Utd are the only club that have entered talks though and their latest offer of £45m was rejected out of hand and laughed out of the room. I think he'll go next summer for £70m to a better team than Man Utd when one of them needs a centre back. Might even get a bit more if he has a standout season.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

£70m is the club's valuation. They'd probably sell for a nicely structured deal at that price. Man Utd are the only club that have entered talks though and their latest offer of £45m was rejected out of hand and laughed out of the room. I think he'll go next summer for £70m to a better team than Man Utd when one of them needs a centre back. Might even get a bit more if he has a standout season.

Man City most likely I think. Other than Chelsea they're the ones that will stump up that kind of money. Man Utd's offer was derisory. 

A further midfielder was certainly needed by Villa. Onana has impressed me at his best & feels like a better choice than other names who were being linked.

But it is still a sad effect of PSR. That Villa have arranged to sell Douglas Luiz, to Juve. And within a few weeks, into a new accounting year, they spend the same money.

• Subscriber

He should do well under Emery. He only showed flashes at Everton because his main strengths are ball retention and breaking the lines (Dyche's setup sees us largely bypass the midfield when we have the ball) and recovery tackles (Dyche set the team up to defend deep meaning the midfield wouldn't be turned very often). A weird case of a £50m+ player being not really needed in a bottom half team.