talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German football adopts Euro 2024 referee rule

https://www.beinsports.com/en-mena/football/bundesliga/articles/german-football-adopts-euro-2024-referee-rule-2024-07-16

German football adopts Euro 2024 referee rule

A rule that only a team captain can talk to referees, introduced at Euro 2024, will be applied to all levels of German football, the German FA (DFB) has announced.
Under the rule, players who approach a referee to discuss a decision will be given yellow cards.

The German FA said the rule would be adopted in both men's and women's football from the professional level through to local leagues.

The rule, designed to promote more respect for referees and clearer interactions with match officials, was implemented in all UEFA club competitions early in July.

Several yellow cards were handed out for non-captains approaching referees at Euro 2024. A total of 161 yellows were handed out in the group stages alone. At Euro 2020, the total for the entire tournament was 151.

Ansgar Schwenken, the Director of Match Operations and Fans at the Bundesliga, said the rule was "the logical step for more fairness and respect."

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a good idea. Whether you like referees or not the disrespect they get is terrible. And the amount of people refereeing is down due to that disrespect which decreases the quality of refereeing. 

Edited by Gunnersaurus
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 31/07/2024 at 12:51, Gunnersaurus said:

I think this is a good idea. Whether you like referees or not the disrespect they get is terrible. And the amount of people refereeing is down due to that disrespect which decreases the quality of refereeing. 

I agree.  This is a huge problem at the grass roots level just trying to get someone, anyone, to ref games nowadays.  I get emails every week during my boys' season asking for referee help.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Coma said:

I agree.  This is a huge problem at the grass roots level just trying to get someone, anyone, to ref games nowadays.  I get emails every week during my boys' season asking for referee help.

Well, the ref situation isn't not quite that bad in countries, with a more football shaped sports history. Ref's having to ref an amateur and a youth game, playing for their club and refering a match in annother league, the same weekend isn't unseen, though. Don't know about other countries, yet Germany developed an issue  of either players or spectators attacking refs violently in the last 10 to 15 years, Would be very welcome, if this rule would reduce these attacks, by not allowing dissent to escalate into fisticuffs, since players are priscinding from approaching the ref. Will be worth watching whether that's becoming reality or is remaining wishful thinking.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, the ref situation isn't not quite that bad in countries, with a more football shaped sports history. Ref's having to ref an amateur and a youth game, playing for their club and refering a match in annother league, the same weekend isn't unseen, though. Don't know about other countries, yet Germany developed an issue  of either players or spectators attacking refs violently in the last 10 to 15 years, Would be very welcome, if this rule would reduce these attacks, by not allowing dissent to escalate into fisticuffs, since players are priscinding from approaching the ref. Will be worth watching whether that's becoming reality or is remaining wishful thinking.

It's not just an issue in soccer football but also in other sports here like basketball and American football.  The parents on the sidelines don't seem to have any respect for the refs, regardless of the sport.  The kids see that and think it's OK.  We have teenage refs that are getting bollocked by grown-ass adults and it's ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

All the more reason to get rid of the age rule that keeps removing very capable ref's.

Invalid point, since the ref crisis is one of lower tier and youth football, while that age limit only exists for top 3 tier football.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Invalid point, since the ref crisis is one of lower tier and youth football, while that age limit only exists for top 3 tier football.

I suppose thats true but at the same time where do pro ref's come from? I assume it starts in youth and lower tier levels. 

7 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I suppose thats true but at the same time where do pro ref's come from? I assume it starts in youth and lower tier levels. 

Of course they do begin at that level, before reaching the higher echolons. Nobody refuses them to go back to this level after reaching the age limit, though. If they don't that's more down to their vanity or greed than down to them being too old for the top 3 tiers, to be perfectly honest.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Of course they do begin at that level, before reaching the higher echolons. Nobody refuses them to go back to this level after reaching the age limit, though. If they don't that's more down to their vanity or greed than down to them being too old for the top 3 tiers, to be perfectly honest.

Yeah I get what you mean. What I was trying to say (and poorly, I apologizexD) If the numbers of youth and lower tier ref's are in danger though (idk about Germany or Europe in general but in NA as Coma was talking about its a huge issue) that one way of mitigating that is to be rid of the age rule. Because if your youth and lower tier ref participation dwindles, eventually I would think it would have to affect the pool of top tier choices. 

28 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah I get what you mean. What I was trying to say (and poorly, I apologizexD) If the numbers of youth and lower tier ref's are in danger though (idk about Germany or Europe in general but in NA as Coma was talking about its a huge issue) that one way of mitigating that is to be rid of the age rule. Because if your youth and lower tier ref participation dwindles, eventually I would think it would have to affect the pool of top tier choices. 

I'd rather say, the number of low tier ref's might even decline, if we were to get rid of the age limit, since the chance to advance to being 3.Liga or DFL ref dwindles, if we lose that age limit induced continous refreshment. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

I'd rather say, the number of low tier ref's might even incline, if we were to get rid of the age limit, since the chance to advance to being 3.Liga or DFL ref dwindles, if we lose that age limit induced continous refreshment. 

Yeah thats true too i suppose. As you said money/greed is a main motivating factor in not going back to lower leagues after ageing out. So if that doesnt exist what motivation would there be.