talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

He was like a mirror image of Maradona when he was younger in many ways and it was actually scary how many similarities they had(well still do), but Messi over time has evolved his game and become a complete player who is very unique in his own right. You will never see another Messi.

Over the last 3 years, Messi has been incredible in terms of allround ability. He can do it all, has taken football to another level and has put both his club and country on his back in many regards, keeping them as a competitive force during tough periods. The team as a whole are getting back to their best again though now and this is great news. If you provide Messi with a performing team then you have a 100% chance of winning trophies.

All that is lacking for me is a player, other than Messi himself, to consistently score goals. Suarez seriously needs to get back into gear, although it is difficult as he is playing with an injury(which he is having an operation for soon) and this will likely be playing a big part in his downturn of form. This is where Arnaiz comes into the discussion. He offers goals and Barcelona do need someone to score more goals.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

55 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He was like a mirror image of Maradona when he was younger in many ways and it was actually scary how many similarities they had(well still do), but Messi over time has evolved his game and become a complete player who is very unique in his own right. You will never see another Messi.

Over the last 3 years, Messi has been incredible in terms of allround ability. He can do it all, has taken football to another level and has put both his club and country on his back in many regards, keeping them as a competitive force during tough periods. The team as a whole are getting back to their best again though now and this is great news. If you provide Messi with a performing team then you have a 100% chance of winning trophies.

All that is lacking for me is a player, other than Messi himself, to consistently score goals. Suarez seriously needs to get back into gear, although it is difficult as he is playing with an injury(which he is having an operation for soon) and this will likely be playing a big part in his downturn of form. This is where Arnaiz comes into the discussion. He offers goals and Barcelona do need someone to score more goals.

I have an inkling Arnáiz is going to get his first big chance (excepting the Copa del Rey debut midweek) on Tuesday against Olympiakos away.  Something tells me he may be selected!  He can bring goals and what he also does is give the opponent a headache in terms of having to concentrate on him.

As for Suárez...  I've heard he doesn't want to get the operation because he's cared of something going wrong and missing a large part of the season and even the World Cup.  There's the other factor if everything goes well on the operation which would apparently keep him out for a month or so in that if someone comes in and starts scoring goals he could find it difficult to get back into the team.  Whatever it is he needs to start scoring goals!  Right now the team isn't missing his goals because they keep on winning and nobody is looking towards him which has taken a lot of pressure of Suárez as the media aren't hounding him.  But the moment there are two or three negative results in a row and then they will be headlining him!

1509211449533.jpg

15 years ago today Andrés Iniesta made his official debut

It was a Champions League match away to Club Brugge which Barça won 0-1 with a Juan Román Riquelme goal on the 29th October 2002.  Louis van Gaal who was the head coach at that the time decided to bring in a few of the youth players to complete the squad for that final group game due to the fact the team had already qualified for the next phase.

1509211481284.jpg

Andrés Iniesta completed the whole 90 minutes that night in a team which consisted of; Enke, Gabri, Puyol, Tortero, Fernando Navarro, Gerard López, Rochemback, Geovanni, Iniesta, Riquelme and Dani.

The two stars of the game were two big friends who continue  to maintain their friendship to this day, Iniesta and Riquelme.  They looked for each other whenever one of the two were on the ball and you could tell they both spoke the same footballing language when on the field of play.  Iniesta debuted with the number 34 on his back and played a wonderful game by participating in every dangerous move and subsequently assisting Riquelme's goal in the second half...  Iniesta almost scored himself near the end of the game, but his shot hit the top side of the crossbar.

1509211448627.jpg

Three days later Iniesta returned to what was his reality in those days in the Barcelona 'B' side for a game against Palamós.  The head coach of the Barça 'B' side at that time was none other than the master of La Masia, Quíque Costas who loved (and continues to do so) Iniesta like a son.  Three months later Van Gaal called Quíque Costas once again to bring Andrés Iniesta into the first team for a game against Real Mallorca away and subsequently 3 weeks later called up once again for his La Liga debut at the Camp Nou against Recreativo de Huelva.  That was Iniesta's final game in the first team that season because Van Gaal was sacked and Radomir Antić took over who didn't exactly use any of the youth players until the season was finished.  It was left for the arrival of Frank Rijkaard to make the revolution with the youth players (Messi included) and make them firm starters ever since.

Edited by SirBalon

1509489928112.jpg

Sergi Roberto out for upto 5 weeks

The draw in the Piraeus against Olympiakos came at an expensive cost and here starts what many have been whispering during this great start to the new season... What would happen when the sensitive injuries started to happen!

The midfield is the most important part of Barcelona's state of mind and where positivity starts and ends.  This is, as difficult as many seem to comprehend is more important than Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez or anything that Barça can muster up front.  Without a healthy midfield with choices, Barça traditionally suffer and now one of the in-form guys, Sergi Roberto who has been in general a sure starter for Ernesto Valverde, has gone crippled...  He has a minuscule tear in his hamstring which will keep him out a minimum of 4 weeks with the club head doctor saying 5 weeks looks more correct in this particular case.

Andrés Iniesta is again being wrapped up in cotton wool because of self confessed bad feelings in his calf and also André Gomes seems to have gotten injured against Olympiakos which will also apparently keep him out for a month.  André Gomes is lesser of an importance if you ask any Barça fan, but the coaches that have been (Luis Enrique) and are (Ernesto Valverde) seem to think that he provides some important aspects and that's why he gets used and adds numbers to the squad in that area.

Lets see what happens from here because the amount of important away days Barça have for a period could be rather sensitive in the coming weeks...

Edited by SirBalon

Shit news. Sergi has been brilliant this season wherever he has played.

One positive to look at is that it now means Semedo(a quality player) will play even more and Denis will get more chances, but it's still a big blow.

Then again, I remember when Messi was injured under Enrique and I said at the time that it would be a blessing in disguise since he'd be back for the second half of the season and that was the case. By the time both Dembele and Sergi Roberto are back in the starting line-up, they will freshen the team up.

The problem now is if more injuries occur. It's been a solid(although not necessarily brilliant) start to the season and this could end up being costly with some big games coming up.

20 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Shit news. Sergi has been brilliant this season wherever he has played.

One positive to look at is that it now means Semedo(a quality player) will play even more and Denis will get more chances, but it's still a big blow.

Then again, I remember when Messi was injured under Enrique and I said at the time that it would be a blessing in disguise since he'd be back for the second half of the season and that was the case. By the time both Dembele and Sergi Roberto are back in the starting line-up, they will freshen the team up.

The problem now is if more injuries occur. It's been a solid(although not necessarily brilliant) start to the season and this could end up being costly with some big games coming up.

It is really bad news mate because apart from in two games this season, Sergi Roberto has been playing in his proper position of central midfielder and he's been doing it marvellously.  Infact one of my favourite players on the field everytime he's been there.  He has something the others don't have, something Iniesta used to have coupled with his magic which was receiving the ball and bursting through the midfield which breaks your opponent's lines and puts them on an uncertain back foot...  That creates chances and space for people like Messi.  Iniesta no longer has that burst of pace after he's bamboozled his rivals into space....  He offers other attributes but Sergi has that burst of pace.  Denis Sure is more a technician, a skilful player with an eye for goal and creating chances for others.  Hopefully he gets more on field time now, but Sergi's diversity will be very sorely missed over the next four to five weeks.  It's less options and more stretching a first team physically.

17 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It is really bad news mate because apart from in two games this season, Sergi Roberto has been playing in his proper position of central midfielder and he's been doing it marvellously.  Infact one of my favourite players on the field everytime he's been there.  He has something the others don't have, something Iniesta used to have coupled with his magic which was receiving the ball and bursting through the midfield which breaks your opponent's lines and puts them on an uncertain back foot...  That creates chances and space for people like Messi.  Iniesta no longer has that burst of pace after he's bamboozled his rivals into space....  He offers other attributes but Sergi has that burst of pace.  Denis Sure is more a technician, a skilful player with an eye for goal and creating chances for others.  Hopefully he gets more on field time now, but Sergi's diversity will be very sorely missed over the next four to five weeks.  It's less options and more stretching a first team physically.

Denis is very different and this is why I think they'd be compatible in midfield along with Busquets. I'd like to see that at some point as that could have potential for Barcelona's near future when you bare in mind the ages of the 2 players. They are both at the perfect age now to be holding themselves down a regular spot in the team. Sergi offers plenty and is a very versatile and allrounded midfielder. In the next few years he is only going to get even better.

Sergi has been one of the most important players this season and will continue to be so when he's back. So this is a massive loss, but there are players there to get by on with and when he comes back, the side be be refreshed. With this said, when you look at some of the fixtures coming up such as Sevilla at home tonight, Juventus away and Valencia away, it's a terrible time to be losing him.

When is Dembele back by the way? Someone of his ability is badly lacking and has been all season. The attack would be awful without Messi. The defence has been solid, I wouldn't swap Ter Stegen for anyone, the midfield has been far better than expected and there are a lot of positives, but the attack, minus Messi, has been awful I'm afraid. The team remain undefeated but could score and do more from an attacking perspective without a doubt.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Denis is very different and this is why I think they'd be compatible in midfield along with Busquets. I'd like to see that at some point as that could have potential for Barcelona's near future when you bare in mind the ages of the 2 players. They are both at the perfect age now to be holding themselves down a regular spot in the team. Sergi offers plenty and is a very versatile and allrounded midfielder. In the next few years he is only going to get even better.

Sergi has been one of the most important players this season and will continue to be so when he's back. So this is a massive loss, but there are players there to get by on with and when he comes back, the side be be refreshed. With this said, when you look at some of the fixtures coming up such as Sevilla at home tonight, Juventus away and Valencia away, it's a terrible time to be losing him.

When is Dembele back by the way? Someone of his ability is badly lacking and has been all season. The attack would be awful without Messi. The defence has been solid, I wouldn't swap Ter Stegen for anyone, the midfield has been far better than expected and there are a lot of positives, but the attack, minus Messi, has been awful I'm afraid. The team remain undefeated but could score and do more from an attacking perspective without a doubt.

I said at the start of the season that the first team was strong enough to compete against any of the other top sides around Europe...  This present Barça side isn't superior to any of the top sides but it is on a par and that means that the players can't rest on their laurels and that they must give their all which is what they've been dong.  It's actually beneficial this way because they know that nothing but 100% will be enough!  No longer is there that massive superiority that was once there.

I think Barça is going to be stretched now and one more injury and the team will be seriously tested.  We could start to see very pragmatic displays so as to just concentrate on the result.  The problem with this is that it doesn't inspire confidence in a team when you win in that manner.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

In fact, I've just read what Valverde has recently said about Dembele. He is back at the training ground doing some light work, but he still doesn't expect him to be available for selection before Christmas.

There are various stories as to when Dembélé will be back...  Some say he is very advanced in his recovery and that it is at least a couple of weeks ahead of schedule to normality and other sources that are saying that even though it may be ahead of time, that the club medical team will use the normal timescale it takes to recover with this so as the player doesn't fall back with the same injury which can be detrimental and then have a situation where recovery takes twice the time.

The sooner he's back the better, but at the same time, it wouldn't be wise to rush him as rushing him into the team is likely what got him injured in the first place, after he hadn't had a pre-season.

When he's back, it's about slowly bleeding him back into the line up for me.

As for signings, I reckon Sanabria is the one to look at. It's evident that a striker is needed to give Suarez some competition. I also think he's more suited to Barcelona's system than Paco Alcacer also. Paco does well when he plays down the centre, but the problem is, when he does get chances, it's rarely in this position. Sanabria on the otherhand would be more adaptable to playing anywhere in the front 3 I believe, even though he is more suited to playing down the middle as a number 9 and would be at his strongest in this role. Suarez also needs some competition as well.

14 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The sooner he's back the better, but at the same time, it wouldn't be wise to rush him as rushing him into the team is likely what got him injured in the first place, after he hadn't had a pre-season.

When he's back, it's about slowly bleeding him back into the line up for me.

As for signings, I reckon Sanabria is the one to look at. It's evident that a striker is needed to give Suarez some competition. I also think he's more suited to Barcelona's system than Paco Alcacer also. Paco does well when he plays down the centre, but the problem is, when he does get chances, it's rarely in this position. Sanabria on the otherhand would be more adaptable to playing anywhere in the front 3 I believe, even though he is more suited to playing down the middle as a number 9 and would be at his strongest in this role. Suarez also needs some competition as well.

Sanabria is  doing well...  There's another interesting player that in this case doesn't belong to Barça but belongs to Manchester City and is on loan at Girona.  I don't know if you've been following him, Pablo Maffeo.  Apart from the game where Girona played Barcelona and Machí put him as Messi's shadow man marking, he's been a revelation this season and he's constantly making La Liga's team of the week.  He's a central defender but plays perfectly also as a defensive midfielder...  Guardiola is a clever man with these types of players.

49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sanabria is  doing well...  There's another interesting player that in this case doesn't belong to Barça but belongs to Manchester City and is on loan at Girona.  I don't know if you've been following him, Pablo Maffeo.  Apart from the game where Girona played Barcelona and Machí put him as Messi's shadow man marking, he's been a revelation this season and he's constantly making La Liga's team of the week.  He's a central defender but plays perfectly also as a defensive midfielder...  Guardiola is a clever man with these types of players.

He belongs to City though which means Barcelona won't be buying him, unless he's got a clause or his contract is nearly up. He would be a good option, although Barcelona need a number 9(unless Suarez has a sudden change in form or Paco can continue to do what he did yesterday) as it's the weakest position on the park currently. The defence is generally fine. A 4th defender is needed, but the attack is the main weakness. Then again Paco deserves more chances(and would be like a new signing in a way since he hadn't been getting them all season), Arnaiz can be called up to the first team and Dembele will be back at Christmas.

Right at this moment in time Suarez(not Denis, but the Uruguayan one) needs dropping and after yesterday, I think Paco deserves more chances playing as a centre forward.

Messi -- Paco -- Arnaiz

The team are getting results, but there needs to be more venom in attack.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

21 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Roma has a buy-back option on Sanabria for around €11 million and it seems like they are going to make use of that option in January to sell him on.

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

Speaking of ex-Barcelona Mexicans, I really hate how the talented dos Santos brothers would rather be playing MLS than South-American or European football.

@Teso dos Bichos

I’ll put my two pence worth here... Jonathan (the younger of the two brothers) was unlucky to be honest although he bottled it. Giovanni chickened out of top end football almost from the outset. Much was expected of him at Barcelona but he couldn’t be bothered... Nothing like the effort Rafa Márquez put in. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Speaking of ex-Barcelona Mexicans, I really hate how the talented dos Santos brothers would rather be playing MLS than South-American or European football.

@Teso dos Bichos

To be fair, Giovanni did go back to la liga at one point and started off quite well but then fell off and was never able to replicate that form.

Still though, I don't know why they didn't go to Brazil or Argentina. In fact, I don't get why European players themselves don't go there to end their careers.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

9 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Still though, I don't know why they didn't go to Brazil or Argentina. In fact, I don't get why European players themselves don't go there to end their careers.

It would be romantic and in tune with what the true football fan would love to see. But you know the answer that that one mate which is money. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

It would be romantic and in tune with what the true football fan would love to see. But you know the answer that that one mate which is money. 

I always said that if I was a professional footballer, I'd want to play in England and Spain, then move to South America to end my career in Brazil. Then again, that's what you say now, but if we were actually in that position, we'd probably go to LA ourselves instead. The money is far too tempting to turn down as you mentioned.

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

I always said that if I was a professional footballer, I'd want to play in England and Spain, then move to South America to end my career in Brazil. Then again, that's what you say now, but if we were actually in that position, we'd probably go to LA ourselves instead. The money is far too tempting to turn down as you mentioned.

South American football is very competitive and to be honest I'd personally want to be at my best to play there so as to experience the whole deal and not go there at the end of my career where I'm some sort of circus act everyone comes to see but they're not seeing my best moments.  Ending you career (if you don't do it at the one club you love) earning tons of money is the cleverest thing mate.

This is why the Dos Santos brothers were cop-outs in my view.  They had talent but didn't want to work for it...  To be honest Carlos Vela almost went the same way and you have to ask questions because his career could've been a hell of a lot more than it was.  He seems to play when he wants.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

South American football is very competitive and to be honest I'd personally want to be at my best to play there so as to experience the whole deal and not go there at the end of my career where I'm some sort of circus act everyone comes to see but they're not seeing my best moments.  Ending you career (if you don't do it at the one club you love) earning tons of money is the cleverest thing mate.

This is why the Dos Santos brothers were cop-outs in my view.  They had talent but didn't want to work for it...  To be honest Carlos Vela almost went the same way and you have to ask questions because his career could've been a hell of a lot more than it was.  He seems to play when he wants.

It could be a largely cultural thing. Remember there is truth to every stereotype and Mexicans have 'lazy' as one of the less desirable stereotypes. Though, it could be that all the hard working Mexicans already live in the States chasing the economic dream. They bust ass too! 14 hour days landscaping is no picnic.

44 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Giovinco more than anyone in my opinion. Can't wrap my head around him. CL level player. 

Michael Bradley also ruined his career going back to the MLS. 

Agree on Giovinco. I thought he had enough quality to play for Juventus' first team. The second he went to the MLS I knew he would tear it up.

Bradley is a weird one. He was good in Europe but nowadays he's not very good at all. MLS quality at most.