talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Hod Complex - An Alternative View of World Cup ‘98

football forum

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml#uk-fb-sh

If you’ve got 10/15 minutes spare, have a read of this. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Its interesting as ‘98 is the first real tournament I can remember from start to finish, although I have brief memories of ‘90 and ‘94. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Another alternative would be actually giving credit where is due.... Zidane gets most of the credit but not from me.. like his club career, he benefited from a great team. (France's defence was the backbone of the team and the main reason why they won it)

It's baffling he gets more credit as a player than as a coach. Compare the CL stats :dam: he underperform in European competitions but hey, all the fanboys remember it's that flashy goal and not the fact that he is the only player to lose five consecutive European finals. 

That is because eighteen years of observations to make conclusions on his club career. As opposed to THREE in the best, richest, most successful team in the world. If you can't tell the difference between being a consistently amazing player at Cannes, Bordeaux, Juventus, Real Madrid, and France, and coaching ONE TEAM then I don't know what to tell ya.

Yeah, he is a little overrated though. I feel like his legacy is sustained by having an amazing 06 Cup.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Great player but no one in there right mind should place him top 10 or even top 20 of all time.

79 CL starts 14 goals and three assists. Overrated af 

Oh come on, you know goals and assists don't mean that much, especially for a CM. You wouldn't say Nesta or Maldini were bad players.

7 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

An attacking midfielder that never had a double digit scoring season9_9

He's not a goal scorer though? 

Again, very hypocritical when you continue to praise Pogba as the best CM in the world. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I think I´ll die saying Holland should have won it in 98.  What a team the dutch had. We eliminating them in the semis, in retrospect, was terrible.

that was pure 90s football heaven and a lot of the players I remember growing up with. They, and that whole era pretty much, brings back so much nostalgia. They had so much quality, flair and swagger, almost. Davids, Bergkamp, Kluivert, Seedorf, Overmars, De Boer brothers, Cocu, Stam. 

Archived