talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Mexico move to CONMEBOL?

Lets be real - this will likely never happen because of CONCACAF valuing Mexico way too much for a good reason. Also the FMF care more about the World Cup money.

However, at least in the past 20 years, they have been a part of CONMEBOL essentially but without the most important bit - qualifiers.

Mexico have little competition in CONCACAF. USA, and on the odd occasion, Costa Rica are their only real competitors. Just like Australia, I reckon why this is dragging them down as a football nation, as if they had more competition in CONMEBOL, yes they wouldn't always qualify but when they do, they would arguably get further due to facing strong opposition on more occasions. We will also not see them lose 7-0 to teams like Chile more often, as they would be acostumed to playing against teams like them. 

Your take - is it a good idea for Mexico to move to CONMEBOL for the sake of their footballing level?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they would want to. They are virtually guaranteed to qualify for the world cup and they enter the copa america.

12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think they would want to. They are virtually guaranteed to qualify for the world cup and they enter the copa america.

The money will make them want to stay I reckon, but at the same time they have no competition and aren't improving as a side. I guess that opposes slightly to what Australia wanted, who in Asia improved and had the option to qualify directly.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

The money will make them want to stay I reckon, but at the same time they have no competition and aren't improving as a side. I guess that opposes slightly to what Australia wanted, who in Asia improved and had the option to qualify directly.

I've always thought Mexico have under achieved. They are football mad and have a massive population. They should be a top team in my opinion so maybe it would help them

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I've always thought Mexico have under achieved. They are football mad and have a massive population. They should be a top team in my opinion so maybe it would help them

They do underachieve, and they lose to teams like Chile 7-0 because of their overconfidence against South Americans. They will miss a couple world cups in South America here and there, but the level will get better and they won't underachieve as much. In my opinion, they should move.

Do you realise that the qualification for the World Cup is split into 6 continental zones?  Mexico is in North America so they compete in the North American qualification process.

Mexico are doing fine, they've just beaten the world champs.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Do you realise that the qualification for the World Cup is split into 6 continental zones?  Mexico is in North America so they compete in the North American qualification process.

Mexico are doing fine, they've just beaten the world champs.

Until they crash out again in the round of 16 and lose to the South Americans in the Copa America.

Yes, I realize that but that didn't stop Australia.

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

They do underachieve, and they lose to teams like Chile 7-0 because of their overconfidence against South Americans. They will miss a couple world cups in South America here and there, but the level will get better and they won't underachieve as much. In my opinion, they should move.

If they would miss some world cups I don't think it would be worth it unless  in the short term. Mexico should be challenging for world cups which they have never done

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I just think that the CONCACAF should be disbanded and the CONMEBOL take over the continent the same way in the whole of Europe it's UEFA.

This.

But I see the main benefits are for the club sides. Competing in a higher level of continental competition would be great for their clubs developing players.

2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

This.

But I see the main benefits are for the club sides. Competing in a higher level of continental competition would be great for their clubs developing players.

The fact the USA have been searching eternally for methods to heighten the profile of their soccer league (MSL) and everything else surrounding this sport in North America... Combining North, Central and South America would make it all extremely appealing to everyone, a top seller and would improve the quality of Central and North Amercian football over time.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The fact the USA have been searching eternally for methods to heighten the profile of their soccer league (MSL) and everything else surrounding this sport in North America... Combining North, Central and South America would make it all extremely appealing to everyone, a top seller and would improve the quality of Central and North Amercian football over time.

Having American and Mexican teams competing (properly, but the 6th / 7th best Mexican teams) would be great for the competition and hugely expand it's audience and potentially the money on offer.

Maybe a long way off, but I'd love to see a Copa Libertadores being almost the same in stature as the Champions League. 

Archived