Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Indonesian Liga 1

It's only right this league gets attention as well since Persib Bandung have signed Michael Essien and Carlton Cole

:ph34r:

football forum

Always knew Carlton Cole would go onto great things.

Persib Bandung drew 0-0 with Arema on the opening day of the season (this weekend)!

Also noticed another familiar face playing for Madura United… Peter Odemwingie! And he only went and tucked a penalty away vs Bali Utd. I wonder if he drove to Madura on deadline day to force through the transfer? 

How does this compare to the Malayasian top flight? Got a former teammate playing out in Malaysia, and had another spend time in the the Indonesian league a few years back.

they played without work permits and might now go to jail xD

48 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

they played without work permits and might now go to jail xD

Gonna have to remember this little nugget of trivia. It’s bound to come up in a sports round in a pub quiz at some point.

Guessing Essien and Carlton Cole have got away with any visa issues, since they both played for Persib yesterday in their 2-2 draw with Persatuan Sepak.

Essien scored the opening goal, too!

58fc8d0d7b8a9_Screenshot2017-04-23at12_14_02.thumb.png.6cfbcb48b60ceb7785903ed46757f225.png

Both started on the bench, but made second half appearances. 

Two things struck me about this… F. Keraf must have had a stinker to get subbed on and then later get replaced by Cole when the team were 2-0 up xD

And secondly, I’ve only just learned that Indonesian teams are allowed to make a maximum of five subs per match (Persib made four in this match). 

58fc8e40e377c_Screenshot2017-04-23at12_18_14.thumb.png.d38109601d21a4ec18df27a7885e1e6a.png

Essien scored again for Persib this weekend just gone, the solitary goal of the game as they beat Persipura 1-0 to go top of the table, 5 games into the season. 

Yep, Carlton Cole started up top for them, too xD

Screen shot 2017-05-08 at 18.39.56.png

Carlton Cole update… he still hasn’t scored a goal for Persib xD 

In fact, he can’t get into their starting line-up. Essien, however, has made 7 appearances and scored twice. That visa issue seems to have melted away!

8 games into the season and another familiar face tops the goalscoring charts, at time of writing: one Peter Odemwingie, with 5 goals for Madura Utd!

Just found out that Didier Zokora (now 36), formally of Spurs and Sevilla fame, plies his trade in the Indonesian Liga 1, too. He’s made 4 appearances for Semen Padang. On that note, I did a quick Google translation on that team name… and now I’m off to delete my internet cookies. 

592c54ad59166_Screenshot2017-05-29at18_02_41.thumb.png.468f6c76eafe34ccc98486277e2899cb.png