talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Comic Books & Graphic Novels

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I see what you mean... 

I started the Badlands yesterday... The first story "Of the World and Its Becoming"  (Issues #1-3) is also written and drawn by Ennis and Burrows so it feels very true to the original that you're reading now and I actually loved it as once again it explores the human nature so it's much more than just pure gore for the sake of it. The next story after that ("Homo Superior"; Issues #4-9) is created by other people and the differences are massive; shock value seems to be the only goal there and so I didn't particularly enjoy it... I think as a result I'm going to skip the rest of the stories that were not written by Ennis and will move to Crossed +100 by Alan Moore afterwards.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I started the Badlands yesterday... The first story "Of the World and Its Becoming"  (Issues #1-3) is also written and drawn by Ennis and Burrows so it feels very true to the original that you're reading now and I actually loved it as once again it explores the human nature so it's much more than just pure gore for the sake of it. The next story after that ("Homo Superior"; Issues #4-9) is created by other people and the differences are massive; shock value seems to be the only goal there and so I didn't particularly enjoy it... I think as a result I'm going to skip the rest of the stories that were not written by Ennis and will move to Crossed +100 by Alan Moore afterwards.

Ok.. seems little point in that if there is no other worthwhile content alongside it.. I don't want to be reading any continuation of the story if it veers badly away from the original but as you have a head start on me I will take your advice on it.. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Ok.. seems little point in that if there is no other worthwhile content alongside it.. I don't want to be reading any continuation of the story if it veers badly away from the original but as you have a head start on me I will take your advice on it.. 

Oh each story actually follows a different set of survivors so it's not a continuation as such; but yeah some are definitely much better whereas some are just pure trash. Once you're done with the original 9 issues just continue with the first three issues of the Badlands... I'll keep you updated :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Oh each story actually follows a different set of survivors so it's not a continuation as such; but yeah some are definitely much better whereas some are just pure trash. Once you're done with the original 9 issues just continue with the first three issues of the Badlands... I'll keep you updated :D

Just finished Number 9 

That was very good... Did give you the terrible feeling that they were living on borrowed time throughout the whole thing but despite the despair of the situation doing their best to survive just another day or night to start the whole thing over again each day... 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just finished Number 9 

That was very good... Did give you the terrible feeling that they were living on borrowed time throughout the whole thing but despite the despair of the situation doing their best to survive just another day or night to start the whole thing over again each day... 

Then you will definitely like the first three issues of the Badlands as well :) Kind of follows on the same survival instinct and resilience in the face of adversity. 

I like the idea behind the "virus" in the story as well. As someone who's always found the idea of slow, brain-hungry zombies extremely silly, I find the concept of a virus that affects the brain resulting in extreme aggression, impulsive violent, anti-social, even psychopathic behaviours and complete lack of empathy much more plausible. Add a collapse of societal order that is designed to suppress such behaviours, and you have a real apocalypse on your hands... Loved the whole "Maybe all the virus did was unleash what was already in us all along" monologue as well.

I heard that in later issues of the Badlands and also Crossed +100 deal more with the backstory of the virus and how it started as well as Patient Zero etc. Kind of looking forward to it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Then you will definitely like the first three issues of the Badlands as well :) Kind of follows on the same survival instinct and resilience in the face of adversity. 

I like the idea behind the "virus" in the story as well. As someone who's always found the idea of slow, brain-hungry zombies extremely silly, I find the concept of a virus that affects the brain resulting in extreme aggression, impulsive violent, anti-social, even psychopathic behaviours and complete lack of empathy much more plausible. Add a collapse of societal order that is designed to suppress such behaviours, and you have a real apocalypse on your hands... Loved the whole "Maybe all the virus did was unleash what was already in us all along" monologue as well.

I heard that in later issues of the Badlands and also Crossed +100 deal more with the backstory of the virus and how it started as well as Patient Zero etc. Kind of looking forward to it!

I thought it was summed up fairly well in the last few pages of Issue 9 

They were all the awful aspects of humanity magnified a hundredthousand fold but they were nothing more.. Where did they come from? Us. They were every Brute, every Sadist, every Rapist, Pedophile, Renderer and Torturer, every Ethnic Cleanser, Serial Murderer, Zealot, Tyrant, Holy Killer, every Terrorist and Bomber, every Smirking Criminal in office, every Shitty cruel parent who never should have had kids and every bad debasing thing that men and women have to do to deal with evil.. The marks left slashed across our souls

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Started reading East of West today. Beautiful artwork and a promising story arc. 

Created by writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Nick Dragotta, the book is a science fiction Western set in a dystopian version of the United States whose fate rests with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

In this timeline, the Civil War never ended and there was an extended war between the Union, the Confederacy, an African American kingdom, a Native American confederacy, Chinese exiles, and Texan separatists. This strife comes to a sudden halt when a comet hits present-day Kansas on November 9, 1908. The six warring parties meet at Armistice—the location of the comet's impact—and make a truce, thereby forming "the Seven Nations of America": Armistice, The Union, The Confederacy, the Kingdom, the Endless Nation, the Republic of Texas, and the People's Republic of America. On the same day as the comet impact and the signing of the treaty, there were two simultaneous, yet independent prophecies: 1. Elijah Longstreet was a soldier in the Confederate Army under Stonewall Jackson; he wrote his part of the prophecy down and then collapsed and died. 2. Red Cloud had become the chief of chiefs to the Endless Indian Nation by defeating the many Indian chiefs and uniting all of the Indian tribes under himself; he transmitted his portion of the prophecy orally and then he too collapsed and died.

For fifty years, these prophecies, referred to by believers as "the Message", remained incomplete. In 1958, Chairman Mao Zedong of the PRA wrote an addendum to his Little Red Book; this addendum was the third piece of the prophecy and completed the Message. It now became clear that The Message was a prophecy of the End of Times.

Some artwork:

east-of-west-hickman-dragotta-martin.jpg

3489039-east_of_west_004-024.jpg

3483180-eastwest.jpeg

7466c01b7667278c2c7bc5121457b657.jpg

@Bluewolf @Mel81x you might find it interesting...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Started reading East of West today. Beautiful artwork and a promising story arc. 

Created by writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Nick Dragotta, the book is a science fiction Western set in a dystopian version of the United States whose fate rests with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

In this timeline, the Civil War never ended and there was an extended war between the Union, the Confederacy, an African American kingdom, a Native American confederacy, Chinese exiles, and Texan separatists. This strife comes to a sudden halt when a comet hits present-day Kansas on November 9, 1908. The six warring parties meet at Armistice—the location of the comet's impact—and make a truce, thereby forming "the Seven Nations of America": Armistice, The Union, The Confederacy, the Kingdom, the Endless Nation, the Republic of Texas, and the People's Republic of America. On the same day as the comet impact and the signing of the treaty, there were two simultaneous, yet independent prophecies: 1. Elijah Longstreet was a soldier in the Confederate Army under Stonewall Jackson; he wrote his part of the prophecy down and then collapsed and died. 2. Red Cloud had become the chief of chiefs to the Endless Indian Nation by defeating the many Indian chiefs and uniting all of the Indian tribes under himself; he transmitted his portion of the prophecy orally and then he too collapsed and died.

For fifty years, these prophecies, referred to by believers as "the Message", remained incomplete. In 1958, Chairman Mao Zedong of the PRA wrote an addendum to his Little Red Book; this addendum was the third piece of the prophecy and completed the Message. It now became clear that The Message was a prophecy of the End of Times.

Some artwork:

3483180-eastwest.jpeg

Artwork looks good and the storyline seems interesting... Are you getting this on one of your freebie sites because I can't get it on the one I have?? 

On 17/01/2020 at 23:34, nudge said:

Some artwork:

3483180-eastwest.jpeg

On issue 3, really enjoying the Art style and colouring and the story seems interesting.. Just keep turning one page after another which is a good sign 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 19/01/2020 at 18:16, Bluewolf said:

On issue 3, really enjoying the Art style and colouring and the story seems interesting.. Just keep turning one page after another which is a good sign 

Glad you're enjoying it so far... I'm on Issue 5 myself; progressing slowly due to lack of time but it's still keeping me interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

All eyes will be on the barren world of Arrakis this coming December when director Denis Villeneuve ("Arrival") and Legendary Pictures unspool their big-budget silver screen adaptation of Frank Herbert's seminal science fiction novel, "Dune." 

a person taking a selfie: dune prequel comic

Until then, fans can satiate their desire for the story's mind-expanding spice with an ambitious new prequel comic book series from Boom! Studios titled "Dune: House Atreides," and we're folding space to present a preview of the premiere issue, which arrives October 21.

Last week, Boom! unveiled a first viewing of "Dune: House Atreides #1," a galaxy-spanning 12-issue series that primes audiences for the epic adventures to come in December. The intoxicating enterprise will be adapted and scripted by Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson, who co-wrote the titular 1999 prequel novel based on Franks Herbert's personal notes. The art comes courtesy of illustrator Dev Pramanik ("Paradiso") and colorist Alex Guimarães. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

@nudge

Just been on the Heavy Metal Magazine website and saw this... 'The Planet of Doom' animated film/series.. :o

https://www.heavymetal.com/news/planet-of-doom/

Loving that style and colouring... 

Very trippy! :D 

Loving the music... Wonder if other parts will be released on youtube too? Looks class...

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

Very trippy! :D 

Loving the music... Wonder if other parts will be released on youtube too? Looks class...

Very trippy indeed... B|

Don't know where or when we will get more even though that one said Chapter 8 of 14 so assume that they are out there somewhere??? I really liked the way they inked everything in a 70's style format which was common for the colour comics back then.. nice touch

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Very trippy indeed... B|

Don't know where or when we will get more even though that one said Chapter 8 of 14 so assume that they are out there somewhere??? I really liked the way they inked everything in a 70's style format which was common for the colour comics back then.. nice touch

It appears it was supposed to be released in 2018, but that clearly didn't work out... Now the latest news articles say the release date is some time in 2020, so hopefully that's the case and we'll get it soon...

Found some original posters, the art is really stunning...

34454eebed891335eaba9e5782a4cf0a_origina

597690a8768af84b3be00b4a7992184c_origina

bd3fab57eab6766f4e339c0415d1f8d3_origina

013f29bc7fae39ad9165d4beed3ad90b_origina

bc8365e79125f71e3f7af5e4886f7ab6_origina

6563c2ede05a46d918b731c32d5ad146_origina

274c544196ba53611484f91296aa8546_origina

planet-of-doom-2.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

It appears it was supposed to be released in 2018, but that clearly didn't work out... Now the latest news articles say the release date is some time in 2020, so hopefully that's the case and we'll get it soon...

Found some original posters, the art is really stunning...

34454eebed891335eaba9e5782a4cf0a_origina

597690a8768af84b3be00b4a7992184c_origina

bd3fab57eab6766f4e339c0415d1f8d3_origina

013f29bc7fae39ad9165d4beed3ad90b_origina

bc8365e79125f71e3f7af5e4886f7ab6_origina

6563c2ede05a46d918b731c32d5ad146_origina

274c544196ba53611484f91296aa8546_origina

planet-of-doom-2.jpg

Great art!! each chapter is supposed to be by a different artist so you can imagine how good that's going to look.. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...