talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forums

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Actually got tickets for it, despite never watching it. Going with a couple of workmates, so hoping it'll be good.

It should be. I'm going to it. Do feel a bit conned as it was advertised as two shows where as its actually one and a wild card match but still would of bought a ticket anyway. Got all in on Sunday as well so a lot of wrestling for me this week 

6 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

It should be. I'm going to it. Do feel a bit conned as it was advertised as two shows where as its actually one and a wild card match but still would of bought a ticket anyway. Got all in on Sunday as well so a lot of wrestling for me this week 

Ah nice. Annoyingly, I was informed of free tickets to it last Saturday, but can't do it due to short notice and having other plans. :(

9 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It was in fairness. Good matches in general mind.

Match quality has never been the issue with aew. The problems have been more with story telling and character development.

I wondered what kind of reaction osprey would get in Wales. But wow what a reaction. That was almost hulk hogan 2003. And mjf, I wanted to jump the barrier and punch him. He's so good at winding up the crowd. 

It's hard for me to rate all in. There was a light under the screen which meant I could hardly see it. Gonna watch it tonight and then I'll have more of an idea. The atmosphere was great for the main event though. And due to not knowing if danielson was going to retire or not it almost felt like a real sport. I went to dynamite and collision as well so that's a lot of time I have spent at wrestling shows this week 

Glad to see ricochet in aew. He had a good match against Kyle fletcher. Not to OTT with the high flying. He's not everyone's cup of tea but I like that style. As long as it makes a certain amount of sense. 

He got a good reception at all in even though everyone knew he was coming 

I think it's generally expected that Shane mcmahon will join aew soon. I think he would be good in a backstage role and could maybe help with some of the issues aew has. It has got a lot better this year. Dynamite is good, collision is very much a secondary show. I don't want to see to much change though personally. Aew was made for fans who wanted an alternative to wwe and has lots of fans who like independent wrestling. I wouldn't want it to change to much from that. And it would be a bit unfair to turn your back on the fans that made the company. As far as I'm aware aew isn't a plc and Tony Khan could even run it as a loss if he wanted to. Not saying he should but he doesn't have to answer to share holders so isn't under pressure to make the money some companies are .

Edited by Gunnersaurus

Im not too bothered about Ricochet. I enjoy his matches for what they are but jesus for a guy who struggles to exhibit charisma on TV he comes across like such a douche. Like he started arguing with one of his fans last week because they said they'll now watch the highlights of AEW because hes on it. I want to see him and Ospreay again though, given how much Ospreay has improved in the last 7+ years. 

Those Lucha Underground producers back in the day deserve to be working in Hollywood now. They had Ricochet looking charismatic on camera, Pentagon looking like a 6ft+ monster and Rick Knox looking like a competent referee.

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2024 at 12:59, Gunnersaurus said:

It's hard for me to rate all in. There was a light under the screen which meant I could hardly see it. Gonna watch it tonight and then I'll have more of an idea. The atmosphere was great for the main event though. And due to not knowing if danielson was going to retire or not it almost felt like a real sport. I went to dynamite and collision as well so that's a lot of time I have spent at wrestling shows this week 

It felt like most AEW pay per views in the sense that you knew everybody would perform and the best way to enjoy it was to forget how they got there.

Like Ospreay, MJF, Swerve, Bryan etc are all excellent. You just have to forget MJF has tried to get boos in America for being Mr America and Bryan won a number one contender tournament yet still put his career on the line.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

It felt like most AEW pay per views in the sense that you knew everybody would perform and the best way to enjoy it was to forget how they got there.

Like Ospreay, MJF, Swerve, Bryan etc are all excellent. You just have to forget MJF has tried to get boos in America for being Mr America and Bryan won a number one contender tournament yet still put his career on the line.

To be fair there were a lot of injuries. Danielson having his career on the line added to the match. I'm not to keen on career on the line matches unless the wrestler is going to retire. However people weren't sure if he was going to retire and it almost made it seem like a real sport. Me and the person next to me were hugging because Danielson wasn't retiring. He was pissed though ha ha.

Mjf did do other things to be fair. He attacked fletcher and Oku. Speaking of Oku, he had a match before dynamite that wasn't shown in TV. He got a really good reception the crowd knew who he was. There are rumours he will be joining aew. If you ever get a chance go watch rev pro. The tickets can be as little as around £20. I'd go all the time if I lived in London.

17 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

To be fair there were a lot of injuries. Danielson having his career on the line added to the match. I'm not to keen on career on the line matches unless the wrestler is going to retire. However people weren't sure if he was going to retire and it almost made it seem like a real sport. Me and the person next to me were hugging because Danielson wasn't retiring. He was pissed though ha ha.

Mjf did do other things to be fair. He attacked fletcher and Oku. Speaking of Oku, he had a match before dynamite that wasn't shown in TV. He got a really good reception the crowd knew who he was. There are rumours he will be joining aew. If you ever get a chance go watch rev pro. The tickets can be as little as around £20. I'd go all the time if I lived in London.

All I know about Oku is he gets very high Cagematch scores, which I feel sorry for him for as people online are probably going to use that as a stick to beat him with.

19 hours ago, Dave said:

All I know about Oku is he gets very high Cagematch scores, which I feel sorry for him for as people online are probably going to use that as a stick to beat him with.

Is that dave meltzer? To be honest the people who don't like him seem to go on about it more than anyone. The thing is with his star system is he never watches the matches twice before giving the review. It's about how much he initially likes it. It's not a critical review where he watches it then re watches it takes notes etc. Basically it's a subjective review which is what he has actually said. I'm not aware of him saying that you have to agree with him. I watched a match in aew years ago. Anarchy arcade or something it was called. Loved it so if I had to give it a star rating I would probably give it 5 stars. But that's just an opinion. The match wasn't mentioned as a match of the year contender. Doesn't mean I can't like it. Same way that meltzer is allowed to say what he thinks of matches.

Ironically the people that complain about him all the time are worse than him. They are trying to say they are right and that's that. 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

On 04/09/2024 at 13:54, Gunnersaurus said:

Is that dave meltzer? To be honest the people who don't like him seem to go on about it more than anyone. The thing is with his star system is he never watches the matches twice before giving the review. It's about how much he initially likes it. It's not a critical review where he watches it then re watches it takes notes etc. Basically it's a subjective review which is what he has actually said. I'm not aware of him saying that you have to agree with him. I watched a match in aew years ago. Anarchy arcade or something it was called. Loved it so if I had to give it a star rating I would probably give it 5 stars. But that's just an opinion. The match wasn't mentioned as a match of the year contender. Doesn't mean I can't like it. Same way that meltzer is allowed to say what he thinks of matches.

Ironically the people that complain about him all the time are worse than him. They are trying to say they are right and that's that. 

I agree about Meltzer. Whoever has been advising him to come across so dislikeable and condescending on Twitter really needs to stop. I have to respect him as a historian but when he inserts his opinion as if its factual in his write ups i facepalm. As you said, it's all subjective. Meltzer gave Rock vs Hogan 3 stars and I'll argue based on crowd response it's one of the greatest matches of all time. Meanwhile Chuck Taylor has a five star match.

The rumours he spreads without fact checking have ruined lives and it's pretty obvious at this point he no longer has any sources in WWE. Anybody who pays £15 for his subscription now is just burning money.

Regarding Cagematch, it was basically small site where a couple of thousand of people who like the Japanese and independent styles of Wrestling would go and rate matches in detail. It's not catered to WWE fans at all, and it wasn't meant to be (I think Roman and Batista have lower scored than Eddie Kingston for example). Unfortunately when Tony Khan was trying to flame a WWE vs AEW fans war he said he checks scores of matches on Cagematch to see if they were any good or not, and ever since then there's just been tribal keyboard warrior wars on that website between WWE fans and AEW fans. So Tony Khan's effectively made the website owners life ten times more stressful.