talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

On 1/28/2018 at 10:25, SirBalon said:

I think this part shows you how much Wenger is to blame mate.  Let’s not forget that we had no technical team or director before and the interest in Lacazette is a long one that goes back at least 5 years.  The fact we never acted upon it was because those in charge were never under so much pressure, a pressure from the fans and even the media that has been getting more and more intense.  I agree with you in the sense that Lacazette was the player we went in for because the club couldn’t or didn’t want to go for anyone else and in the end it was a punt!  A bet like so many bets in so many of our signings that ends up being expensive financially with money thrown away and also detrimental to our competitivity.

Arsenal in the last 5 years how they have acted in the transfer market is like a guy who leaves it to end in a nightclub to try and pull a woman before the lights  come on, scrambling around with no real plan to  look for the strays and left overs, so it has been cheap as they didn't have to buy them drinks all night if they they moved in for someone decent earlier.  Now they are going for these higher older targets that no one else wants, due to them having some kind of baggage or seen as a potential risk, again no real plan involved.  Wenger really has left the club in such a poor state when he does decide to leave. 

Edited by VanPaddy
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Arsenal in the last 5 years how they have acted in the transfer market is like a guy who leaves it to end in a nightclub to try and pull a woman before the lights  come on and scrabbling around with no real plan to  look for the strays and left overs, so it has been cheap as they didn't have to buy them drinks all night if they they moved in for someone earlier.  Now they are going for these higher older targets but no one else wants them due to them having some kind of baggage or seen a potential risk, again no real plan involved, Wenger really has left the club in such a poor state when he does decide to leave. 

Hahaha what an analology xD

1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

Arsenal in the last 5 years how they have acted in the transfer market is like a guy who leaves it to end in a nightclub to try and pull a woman before the lights  come on, scrambling around with no real plan to  look for the strays and left overs, so it has been cheap as they didn't have to buy them drinks all night if they they moved in for someone decent earlier.  Now they are going for these higher older targets that no one else wants, due to them having some kind of baggage or seen as a potential risk, again no real plan involved.  Wenger really has left the club in such a poor state when he does decide to leave. 

Sounds like me on a night out. xD

Just watched all three goals against Swansea and I had forgot just how bad Arsenal's defence was.

First goal, Granit Xhaka completely ball watching, allows the defender to run past him without even a glare at him. Not to mention Ozil losing the ball in a silly position.

Second goal, Monreal seems to throw the ball past Mustafi goalwards even though Dyer is there closing Mustafi down. Mustafi then decides to play the ball back towards the keeper even though Dyer is physically on top of him, if he's that close just put the ball out for a corner. Plays the ball towards the keeper even though the keeper will have two attackers on top of him as he goes to kick it...so the ball either hits one of them or as seen, Cech fucks the kick up and Ayew scores.

Before the 3rd goal Dyer has a chance that he puts just wide of the post, created by a long ball into the channel. Instead of Mustafi trying to head the ball back out or off for a throw in...he heads it into the area.

And then the last goal consists of Monreal's shocking attempt at a half volley/overhead clearance, Mustafi getting bullied by Ayew and then Bellerin ball watching allowing the goal scorer Clucas to charge in and get on the end of Mustafi's dodgy tackle/pass.

How you've spent so much money on players and still have a defence that bad is shocking.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Just watched all three goals against Swansea and I had forgot just how bad Arsenal's defence was.

First goal, Granit Xhaka completely ball watching, allows the defender to run past him without even a glare at him. Not to mention Ozil losing the ball in a silly position.

Second goal, Monreal seems to throw the ball past Mustafi goalwards even though Dyer is there closing Mustafi down. Mustafi then decides to play the ball back towards the keeper even though Dyer is physically on top of him, if he's that close just put the ball out for a corner. Plays the ball towards the keeper even though the keeper will have two attackers on top of him as he goes to kick it...so the ball either hits one of them or as seen, Cech fucks the kick up and Ayew scores.

Before the 3rd goal Dyer has a chance that he puts just wide of the post, created by a long ball into the channel. Instead of Mustafi trying to head the ball back out or off for a throw in...he heads it into the area.

And then the last goal consists of Monreal's shocking attempt at a half volley/overhead clearance, Mustafi getting bullied by Ayew and then Bellerin ball watching allowing the goal scorer Clucas to charge in and get on the end of Mustafi's dodgy tackle/pass.

How you've spent so much money on players and still have a defence that bad is shocking.

All of that mate isn’t the quality of the players. It’s the coaching!

On 1/25/2018 at 19:59, Gunnersauraus said:

Because we had the stadium debt. The  season we cleared it we bought Ozil

There was hardly any debt, the old stadium got  converted in to 650 luxury apartments (highbury Square), this actually brought in about £350 million due to the sale of the flats, plus Arsenal are the freeholders still so they collect all the management fees plus ground rent.   Emirates cost around £390 million to build, the debts of the stadium were in Arsenal Football club but the sale of the old stadium were in Highbury Management company so technically all the same company, plus Arsenal built and sold all the properties on their new stadium site as well.   It's just one big myth about Arsenal not having money, Arsenal are just more then a football club now, they have entered into other revenues so it's just a brand.   The board fo the football club just wanted the whole thing of Emirates to pay for itself as Kroenke was never interested to put his own money in to the club.  Even this season Arsenal are well in profit and they have spent over 90 million but player sales were much more.

Edited by VanPaddy

2 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

There was hardly any debt, the old stadium got  converted in to 650 luxury apartments (highbury Square), this actually brought in about £350 million due to the sale of the flats, plus Arsenal are the freeholders still so they collect all the management fees plus ground rent.   Emirates cost around £390 million to build, the debts of the stadium were in Arsenal Football club but the sale of the old stadium were in Highbury Management company so technically all the same company, plus Arsenal build and sold all the properties on their new stadium as well.   It's just one big myth about Arsenal not having money.   The board just wanted the whole thing of Emirates to pay for itself as Kroenke was never interested to put his own money in to the club.

Personally I tend to steer clear of the when should have Wenger should of gone debate. I don't know enough about the facts. Need to do more research before I get involved in that one. I just concentrate on the now where I think he clearly should

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Personally I tend to steer clear of the when should have Wenger should of gone debate. I don't know enough about the facts. Need to do more research before I get involved in that one. I just concentrate on the now where I think he clearly should

Yea no worries just sometimes Arsenal the board have themselves to blame, its not always about Wenger even though he does control most things to do with the playing side of the club.

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Yea no worries just sometimes Arsenal the board have themselves to blame, its not always about Wenger even though he does control most things to do with the playing side of the club.

I think the problem is though it will be hard to get a top manager unless they have more money to spend.  I don't think we need massive investment from our owners we just need them to put the money the club make back into it

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the problem is though it will be hard to get a top manager unless they have more money to spend.  I don't think we need massive investment from our owners we just need them to put the money the club make back into it

Arsenal just need to sort out their scouting again which they have now invested a lot in now in the last month with the new person coming in from Dortmund, again this has been taken away from Wenger. There are plenty of players around the world you can get without spending millions.

Edited by VanPaddy

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Partially down to coaching, partially down to shit players.

Come on mate... We’ve played against all sorts of sides in every position in the Premier League table and they’ve defended better during the game.  Infact we got knocked out against Nottingham Forest and they defended better than us apart from the fact that they were more effective attacking wise than us.  If that isn’t evidence of coaching issues be it in the guise you want it to be then I don’t know what is.  I’m not buying those teams have better players than us.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Come on mate... We’ve played against all sorts of sides in every position in the Premier League table and they’ve defended better during the game.  Infact we got knocked out against Nottingham Forest and they defended better than us apart from the fact that they were more effective attacking wise than us.  If that isn’t evidence of coaching issues be it in the guise you want it to be then I don’t know what is.  I’m not buying those teams have better players than us.

Definitely a coaching issue, but you're not playing Nottingham Forest week in week out, you're playing Premier League teams. Don't rate Mustafi, don't rate Koscielny, don't rate Xhaka, never been sold on Monreal, Bellerin's attacking outlet makes his defensive look better.

12 hours ago, Danny said:

Definitely a coaching issue, but you're not playing Nottingham Forest week in week out, you're playing Premier League teams. Don't rate Mustafi, don't rate Koscielny, don't rate Xhaka, never been sold on Monreal, Bellerin's attacking outlet makes his defensive look better.

It only takes for one or two of those players to be substandard to affect the whole synthesis of the team. The most sensitive point being the midfield as too much emphasis is put on defenders I’ve noticed.

We can’t go too into analysing individual players on their total standing but we do know that a few of them are very overrated and others are big errors when signed. Bellerín is exempt and I’m not being biased because he’s Spanish as I have logical motoves to believe this... One, he boomed into the side and totally annihilated Debuchy when he went out injured and the then French international never got a look in again... That’s to be lauded for such a young player at the time!  We forget to easily all these things.  He does still have a way to go but he is very young and been a mainstay of the Arsenal side from a very early age and that is all down to his progression and his effort.  Barça tried very hard to sign him and they’re no mugs when analysing these things through their scouts, they don’t just sign the dish of the day.

Xhaka is terrible and I don’t give a damn what anyone says... Under what reasoning was he signed for ARSENAL FOOTBALL CLUB?  The very first thing I done was ask the German members at tff what they thought when it was looking almost certain we were signing him and everything they said at the time is what has occurred.  With all due respects to the Bundesliga, any moments of positive analysis in his time there was something I thought had to be looked at with professional eyes which is something I can’t do because I’m not a scout and I don’t know anyone here that is so as to rely on that necessary opinion.  All I can go by with him is what I’ve seen at Arsenal and that ranges from the very mediocre to the erratic and sparse moments of a moment with a good midrange pass and a decent shot on him. Is someone really going to tell me that’s what Arsenal needed when they signed that all important midfielder?  They signed him and you know what for?  Because he is aggressive and they seemed to have thought that this was a vital ingredient missing in our midfield even though he obviously isn’t a defensive midfielder because of his erratic tackles and the fact his positioning is atrocious.  They must’ve thought (here’s me assuming things) that the rest of the midfield could cover for everything else because as a creative midfielder you wouldn’t put him in the top 50 in Europe and he isn’t a defensive midfielder... so what is it?  Where is he or was he good enough for Arsenal and what was being sort after to climb that extra step to competitiveness  in the search for the major titles.  Obviously Cazrola’s injury didn’t help but Santi was never going to cover his Xhaka’s mediocrity.

Do I need to go into talking about Mertersacker? let’s leave it there as his career (previous) is a more than dignified one and doesn’t deserve to be slated but the Arsenal technical team kept him on.

Mustafi?  He isn’t a defensive leader and is one that’s comfortable on the ball and isn’t stupid the further he finds himself up the field.  Very capable in all of that.  But he isn’t elite although all players don’t have to be elite or even near it... They have to be good and he is good but needs a functioning team and protection from the midfield because of his natural game being to move forward.

Koscielny... He is a very good defender and if his partner is better than him then you’ve got a great unit.  He has definitely been overrated though and that has stuck on him.  He also isn’t a leader and here is where we start to see issues.  The team isn’t compensated in any position, is it?

Is Özil a leader?  NO BLOODY HELL!  He has extreme talent but what you analysed in the game against Swansea is consistent in his game.  When he’s on song he’s amazing and other times (too many) he’s very frustrating and hinders the work in the midfield which doesn’t just consist of attacking.

So who’s the leader in midfield?  Ramsey? Wilshere? xD I’m not even going to go there because it could hurt some people’s beliefs that they hold to be strangely true.  They’re also very good players if the team is well coached and functioning... Enjoying their football!  They can do things that look really good.

So where is it all?

Those are the players and I won’t  go into the front men because it’s has no bearing in all of this but is and has been a massive issue at Arsenal for many years now.

We even bought a keeper that was finished but had a name in the Premier League hoping that his experience (it seems) would add that veteran sensation with the team and that some things could fall together.

Fundamentally there are mediocre players in there but there are also very good players that if the club signs well and they’re coached properly with discipline and understanding, that will create a belief in their coach that he can achieve the real honours.  The ones that make headlines around the world.  Even Trabzonspor don’t give a shit that they’re playing the FA CUP winners.  It doesn’t have a bearing outside our shores like if Athletic Bilbao won the Copa del Rey... It’s just a detail, a domestic one to be celebrated there.

Who did we sign now?

Mikhitaryan and Aubameyang. Both fine players in the sense that they’ve had fine moments at times in their careers which means they have talent.  But we needed a central defender to partner Koscielny and a midfielder to replace the shit Xhaka.  That’s all!  The striker in a fucked up season like this one could’ve waited for the summer and as an attacking midfielder we’ve already got Özil for now.

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I dont know why but I could see Luis Enrique doing well with arsenal, the only problem is his temper.

There would be a number of players we have that wouldn’t play with him and the patience with Özil wouldn’t have existed to be honest and there have been some very good moments with Özil if moments are what you’re all about. Plus he couldn’t work under this board.