talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U20 World Cup 2017; ENGLAND ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Argentina now just have to hope Saudi Arabia don't draw or win. If that's the case we can stop hearing Berserker banging on about gods being against Argentina xD 

Saint-Maximin's goals were superb. He turns out to be a world-beater on FM!

Last games about to kick off. I'm watching Senegal vs Ecuador. I very much expect Ecuador to lose or draw, but still a bit hopeful they can do something.

Pervis Estupiñan will be changed to a winger later in his career. The lad can't defend at all as a full back.

Good start from Ecuador, a few good chances from them already.

Awful watch these first 30 minutes. Senegal have been poor but Ecuador are hardly taking advantage. No creativity at all and not playing to their strengths.

USA and Saudi Arabia still 0-0.

And the group stages take a bow. A horrific end to them sadly as one of my life achievements is having sat through that dreadful Ecuador vs Senegal match. It ended 0-0, while the USA drew 1-1 with Saudi Arabia eliminating Argentina.

Knockouts

South Korea vs Portugal

Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia

Venezuela vs Japan

USA vs New Zealand

France vs Italy

Zambia vs Germany

Mexico vs Senegal

England vs Costa Rica

Some brilliant matches. You'd have to think that the winner of France vs Italy will get to the final, with an outside chance from England. In the other side of the bracket, its a lot more fought but I still expect one of Uruguay or Venezuela to get to the final. The winner of Venezuela - Japan should get at least to the semi's.

Candidates to host the U20 World Cup 2019

Mexico

To host 2021

Costa Rica

PERU

Uruguay

If we fail to win the hosting rights for 2021, it will be a failure. We are valued by the CONMEBOL and are the founders of the U20 Libertadores. Whether thats relevant or not but we've hosted the U17 World Cup as well. We definitely have much more resources to host it than Uruguay and Costa Rica. We'll also guarantee attendances. Outside of Peru games, we'll get 4k-6k average in Lima but more than 15K in provincial cities not named Arequipa.

I'll go to every game in Lima. I'm thinking about saving up for Mexico 2019 if its there. I have a feeling either them or South Africa will get it.

• Administrator

for anyone that wants to know schedule of knockout games:

30th May:
Venezuela vs Japan, 5pm
South Korea vs Portugal, 8pm

31st May:
Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia, 5pm
England vs Costa Rica, 8pm
Zambia vs Germany, 8pm

1st June:
Mexico vs Senegal, 4.30pm
France vs Italy, 8pm
USA vs New Zealand, 8pm

If England beat Costa Rica, their potential opponents will be Mexico or Senegal.

Good luck to England, Mexico and Venezuela in their 2nd round matches. I really want that England-Mexico quarter-final, and I would also love to see a Venezuela-Uruguay semi-final in the other half of the draw. 

First round of 16 matches start. Tomorrow at 3 and 6 AM for me. I'll be getting up for both. Hopefully my alarm succeeds in waking me up haha.

Also, love how FIFA is calling Venezuela the "surprise package". Anyone who watched the Sudamericano U20 back in January is hardly surprised that Venezuela is doing well. Minimum expectation for them is quarter finals, as I mentioned.

South Korea and Venezuela will win I'm feeling. I think Japan will give Venezuela a serious game but come short. They've been too lightweight unfortunately. Portugal haven't been great in this but I can also see that one being very contested.

Wuilker Fariñez is properly being tested for the first time in the tournament. No surprise either, as Japan is giving Venezuela a real match as I said it would happen. Still think La Vinotinto will be victorious though.

Takefusa Kubo is class. Every time he gets the ball he makes something of magic out of it.

The best player of the match for me though is Lucena who has been breaking down a lot of the Japanese attacks.

At this rate, it looks like we'll get penalties.

Venezuela goes on to the quarter finals. Superb performance in the second half onwards from them. Since that Fariñez save in the 57th minute, they've been dominant and rarely looked like conceding. Speaking of that, 390 minutes in and 0 goals conceded for La Vinotinto. It tells the whole story. Great defence and keeper.

Ronaldo Lucena the best player of the match for me. He broke down the links between the Japanese midfield and forwards and also assisted the goal. 

I forget this is going on since NO ONE here has spoken about it. Glad to see both USA and Italy advance, and I'll try to make it so that I can watch there match tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Proves my theory that all good teams need a good goalkeeper :ph34r:. Joking aside its good to see the smaller nations like Venezuela doing well at youth level, I just wish that I could watch the games live but can't due to the time-zone.

Because of work I would guess?

Archived