talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

German Beer

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'd say up until recently there really hasn't been a 'British' identity, sure a bunch of different cultures with similarities but it's a very nuanced thing. Some Scots for instance may say they are 'British' and some may make a very strong distinction that they are not and are only 'Scottish',, but I can't speak for anyone except for those that have explicitly told me. I'm sure it was the same in Germany with Bavarians, Swabians, Saxons, et al, I just wouldn't know how strongly people feel about it as, my culture of Australia is adjacent to British so I feel more implicit relation to them.

Actually these differences were along other lines. Bavarians, Prussians, Saxons, even Austrians  had differing dialects and lived in different states, still felt as part of the same nation, that's the reason way Deutscher Bund  was created. The real cultural divide was more of secretarian nature. Even in the early 1960's when my parents married a marriage between catholics and protestants was still referred to as "Mischehe" or in English "mixed marriage"., also it only was in this decade that state parochial schools were substituted through community schools.xD

Edit, wrote century meant decade.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Like 1

Hey Americanos, you have to try this one:

https://untappd.com/b/bierkraft-altbier/4271188

Apparently this is a good Altbier. It got better ratings than some of the Düsseldorf breweries. 

https://rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/duesseldorf/duesseldorf-us-brauerei-macht-das-beste-altbier-european-beer-award_aid-76830479

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hey Americanos, you have to try this one:

https://untappd.com/b/bierkraft-altbier/4271188

Apparently this is a good Altbier. It got better ratings than some of the Düsseldorf breweries. 

https://rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/duesseldorf/duesseldorf-us-brauerei-macht-das-beste-altbier-european-beer-award_aid-76830479

Might be hard to get it.  Looks like it's brewed in OK... pretty far from me.

Edited by Coma
  • Sad 1

At an American Oktoberfest and before any of you (one of you in particular) get up my arse about it not being in Munich or Bavaria, it’s officially sponsored by several Munich breweries and every other person in this part of the USA has a German grandparent. And major Munich breweries throttling and controlling the market with an iron fist is what Oktoberfest is all about!

BUT they were out of litre steins so I bought a Weihenstephaner half litre. Kinda annoyed but it is what it is.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Spike said:

At an American Oktoberfest and before any of you (one of you in particular) get up my arse about it not being in Munich or Bavaria, it’s officially sponsored by several Munich breweries and every other person in this part of the USA has a German grandparent. And major Munich breweries throttling and controlling the market with an iron fist is what Oktoberfest is all about!

BUT they were out of litre steins so I bought a Weihenstephaner half litre. Kinda annoyed but it is what it is.

Out of interest, how much does the beer cost there in the US Oktoberfest? I saw the prices of the original one yesterday, and it left me speechless... 

FB_IMG_1663493885743.jpg

FB_IMG_1663493889062.jpg

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Out of interest, how much does the beer cost there in the US Oktoberfest? I saw the prices of the original one yesterday, and it left me speechless... 

FB_IMG_1663493885743.jpg

FB_IMG_1663493889062.jpg

Imagine paying 14 Euros for a liter of beer that you than drink in a tent packed like canned sardines, with loud vomitting people around you. Sounds like the opposite of a good time to me. xD

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nudge said:

FB_IMG_1663493885743.jpg

FB_IMG_1663493889062.jpg

About the same but it’s imported, it’s not like it’s brewed down the street, so really it should be much more expensive. I think the half litre was $8 yesterday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Imagine paying 14 Euros for a liter of beer that you than drink in a tent packed like canned sardines, with loud vomitting people around you. Sounds like the opposite of a good time to me. xD

But you go to football games.

16 hours ago, Spike said:

Out of curiosity: What's an American Oktoberfest like: is ot a funfair with stands and rides like in Munich, or have they reduced to beer tents and umpah music? Genuine question?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

What has that got to do with Oktoberfest? geez Tommo I dunno maybe the packed like sardines into a stadium with overpriced beer, loud drunks, and vomiting. xD

First of all, the beer costs a lot lot less than at Oktoberfest. Secondly, I sit in the family block, mostly surrounded by kids (mostly Fortuna youth players), with lots of space and no drunk vomitting people in sight. 

45 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Out of curiosity: What's an American Oktoberfest like: is ot a funfair with stands and rides like in Munich, or have they reduced to beer tents and umpah music? Genuine question?

I can’t speak for all of them some may have rides, but they would have to coordinate that with those traveling funfairs, that do local festivals/fairs/fetes/shows, but the one I went to yesterday had raffles, kitchens, beer tents, but no rides. It was pretty small but they did have live bands performing. I think a lot of the proceeds went to charities.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

First of all, the beer costs a lot lot less than at Oktoberfest. Secondly, I sit in the family block, mostly surrounded by kids (mostly Fortuna youth players), with lots of space and no drunk vomitting people in sight. 

Oh you go to golf matches

• Haha 1

On 17/09/2022 at 18:41, Spike said:

Chicago?  Cincinnati had theirs this past weekend but I wasn't able to make it this year.  

53 minutes ago, Coma said:

Chicago?  Cincinnati had theirs this past weekend but I wasn't able to make it this year.  

West suburbs of. Chicago metro is home to 12+ million. There are more than a few Oktoberfest festivals, especially since the city also has the highest concentration of craft breweries nationwide

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did I post this one yet? 🤔

That beer was only served in one Pub originally. They brewed it upstairs, and then it came down from a pipe into the bar. But it has become so popular in Düsseldorf, that they are producing it in bigger style for a few months now. 

The Pub is called Kürzer on the Kurze Straße. xD

IMG_20221008_210201.jpg

IMG_20221008_210100.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...