talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga 2020/21 - Race for Europe

With 8 Bundesliga matches remaining in the 2020/21 season, both Wolfsburg and Frankfurt find themselves in Champions League positions near the top of the Bundesliga table, as the likes of Dortmund, Leverkusen and Gladbach have all faltered this season. 

I'd like to ask those who follow the Bundesliga, which team out of Wolfsburg and Frankfurt, looks the stronger side in their opinion and why? :35_thinking:

• The title was changed to Bundesliga 2020/21 - Race for Europe
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Made this in to a race for Europe topic @Michael so it can keep track of all sides gunning for those spots (CL or EL) :) 

image.png
image.png

I notice Frankfurt play Wolfsburg on 10th April. That'll be a very interesting match to keep note of!

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wouldn't write off Dortmund yet, they play Frankfurt at home on April, the 3rd. If they win this they're fully back in the race for the CL spots.

Dortmund vs Leverkusen on the final day too. 

Mainz could have a big say in how things pan out. They play Frankfurt, Dortmund, Wolfsburg in their final 3. 

40 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wouldn't write off Dortmund yet, they play Frankfurt at home on April, the 3rd. If they win this they're fully back in the race for the CL spots.

I am not writing Dortmund off at all. We all know that on their day, they can be excellent and they still have a decent chance of making one of the Champions League places in the Bundesliga table. However, they do have the distraction of the Champions League to deal with, while neither Wolfsburg or Frankfurt have that disturbance. I think that in tight situations like this, the extra matches and fatigue, definitely play some part in team performances. So Frankfurt and Wolfsburg definitely have the edge on that front in my opinion.

It's not as if Dortmund are going to play relatively easy opposition in the Champions League either, they will be up against a world class Man City team, which will probably mean 2 very intense matches for them. Moreover, in the event that Dortmund eliminate City in the Champions League, they will then face two further intense matches against either Bayern or PSG in the semi-finals of the Champions League. So although I am not ruling out Dortmund making the top 4, Wolfsburg and Frankfurt undoubtedly have the advantage at this stage in my view, for the reasons just given.

I don't feel like Dortmund have it in them this year.  It seems to be one step forward one step back for them.  I was sure after the Sevilla matches that they were back on track but they were rather passive against a horrible HSC and limp against Koln.  The match against Frankfurt will be huge.  They also have to play Wolfsburg again.

Between Frankfurt and Wolfsburg, I'd prefer Frankfurt.  They have the firepower to compete with Leipzig and Bayern in attack when everything clicks.  I've been hoping for awhile that Wolfsburg would fade but they are strong defensively and are beating the teams below them, which Dortmund can't seem to do.

Archived