talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Abu Dhabi GP - 10-12th December, 2021

football forums

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I can see both sides, to be honest.

They said that apparently the guy who gave the authorisation can use his own discretion. That might have been it I'm  not to sure 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nudge in terms of controversial decisions in f1 how controversial is this? If we compare it to football is it like a refs decision. You win some you loose some? Or is it more like a team that fielded an illegible player and you would expect the result to be changed? 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge in terms of controversial decisions in f1 how controversial is this? If we compare it to football is it like a refs decision. You win some you loose some? Or is it more like a team that fielded an illegible player and you would expect the result to be changed? 

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the part in bold; but it's also important to note that many rules and regulations in F1 are extremely murky and open to interpretation. I can understand why Mercedes are furious as it does seem like a very chaotic and confusing restart, but let's be honest - considering that essentially they were protesting against FIA's officiating, it was pretty obvious it wouldn't be upheld. Now I just wonder if they'll go to Court over this, could be months or even years of legal battle if they do.

• Subscriber

I think if there's one team that might actually not take it to court and have it hanging over the sport for months it's Mercedes. Fingers crossed.

As I suspected, the lapped cars thing was at the discretion of the race director. The problem remains that he made a decision on the last lap of the last race which he wouldn't have made under any different circumstances and that's not the right way to referee any sport.

Still, I don't think there should be any asterisk over Max's title whatsoever. This is F1, there are many things you can't control and it's about getting the most points you can from the hand you're dealt which can include huge doses of good or bad luck.

I'm mostly just annoyed that it was settled in controversial circumstances because now the headlines are all about protests and the race director when they should be about the greatest championship battle of modern F1.

• Subscriber

To be honest I quite liked the new layout. I'd definitely prefer them to move the Middle Eastern leg of the championship to a different part of the year though and go back to finishing in Japan or Brazil. You can't beat the jeopardy of those tracks, the risk of rain in the last weekend and the propensity those tracks have for incident. Then you don't have to create your own drama by making up safety car rules to set up a one lap shootout for the championship decider...

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the part in bold; but it's also important to note that many rules and regulations in F1 are extremely murky and open to interpretation. I can understand why Mercedes are furious as it does seem like a very chaotic and confusing restart, but let's be honest - considering that essentially they were protesting against FIA's officiating, it was pretty obvious it wouldn't be upheld. Now I just wonder if they'll go to Court over this, could be months or even years of legal battle if they do.

So  basically it's you win some you loose some and if they took it to court red bull could make a counter claim for another race? 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So  basically it's you win some you loose some and if they took it to court red bull could make a counter claim for another race? 

I don't think they stand a chance in court, to be honest.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

What age do drivers tend to compete till? Will hamilton have a good chance of winning another championship? 

Mid/late 30's. Kimi Räikkönen retired at 42 today. 

Lewis absolutely still has 1-2 more Championships in him. He was on top of his game this season. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Mid/late 30's. Kimi Räikkönen retired at 42 today. 

Lewis absolutely still has 1-2 more Championships in him. He was on top of his game this season. 

Be good to see a brit be arguably the best ever at something other than darts 😂

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What age do drivers tend to compete till? Will hamilton have a good chance of winning another championship? 

It depends on how good the car will be in the next few years. There are big changes in technical regulations next season, and whenever that happens, the dominating team usually changes. So essentially, it's the question of which team will nail the design based on new regulations and manages to build the fastest car. Then in 2025, there will be massive changes to the engine regulations, so at this point, it's impossible to tell. 

• Subscriber

I would love to see another 2009-style shaking up of the board, which was the last major rule change. The teams that came to the fore that year were Brawn/eventually Mercedes and Red Bull. Here we are 12 years later.

I don't know if the shift will be quite as extreme this time though. I've been keeping my eye out for teams who have dipped in performance at the end of the year because they've shifted their development focus to the new car. McLaren arguably fall into that category and certainly Aston Martin. Haas have also openly said they were putting basically all of their effort into the 2022 car from the start of this year.

Mercedes and Red Bull on the other hand have been continuing to add new parts to their cars to the end of this year knowing that they'll be going in the bin after today's race. Similar situation to McLaren and Ferrari in 2008 who suffered badly at the start of 2009.

It will be interesting for sure. In 2008 there was a lot of talk on which teams were shifting their focus to the new rules. Renault and BMW had a disaster while the Honda car which was rebranded as Brawn GP won the championship. This time, apart from Haas I've not heard many teams positioning themselves in this way. I don't think either Lewis or Max will be found far off the front for long though. 

Archived