talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 2-1 Leeds - Sunday 9th October, 2022

football forums

• Administrator

Kick-off 14.00 (BST)

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Crystal_Palace_FC_logo_(2022).svg         VS      1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png

Last 3 Meetings
25/04/2022 - Crystal Palace 0-0 Leeds
30/11/2021 - Leeds 1-0 Crystal Palace
08/02/2021 - Leeds 2-0 Crystal Palace

Recent Form
Crystal Palace - LDDLW
Leeds - DLDLW

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the pre season friendly us anything to go by this could be a feisty game. Leeds game plan at Selhurst last season and Kalvin Phillips comments afterwards really got under Vieira and the players skins. When the world's nicest human Joel Ward is getting yellow cards for losing his temper you know something is off.

I'd be confident if Joachim Andersen was playing of a 1-0 win but without him anticipating a 1-1 draw. Which is a shame as this run of nine of fixtures is something we should be taking advantage of and getting a top half position by the end of it. I'm just worried we don't have the bite and hunger that reflects the ability of the squad given how many late goals we've been conceding over the last fourteen months.

Palace to win.

Proper fear Zaha up against Kristensen. I think he'll be a tough opponent for Rasmus. Would feel far better if Marsch put Ayling against him given their battle towards the end of the season in this game.

Eze always plays well against us too, haunting us from the moment we didn't sign him when he first starred against us at QPR.

Think we'll miss Sinisterra too. Only thing that might be better for us is Bamford will start up top with Ridrigo behind and Aaronson pushed wide.

2-1 Palace.

38 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

palace are in some bother at the minute.   I think Vieira is a good coach but the pressure will start to mount if they lose here.

😂 As long as we're not bottom three after the Forest game he will be fine.

47 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Big win for Palace having been sat on 6 points.

We've beaten the teams we've been expected to beat and we've lost the games people expected us too. 

Today wasn't a "big win". Its the start of a nice run of fixtures that we'll hopefully take advantage of.

• Subscriber

@The Palace Fan that wasn't meant as a dig by the way. You've had difficult fixtures but it's important to try to get back to an average of a point a game or more then when you get the other side of it.

Maybe not a "big win" but it could have been quite a big loss if you hadn't turned it around.

15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

We've beaten the teams we've been expected to beat and we've lost the games people expected us too. 

Today wasn't a "big win". Its the start of a nice run of fixtures that we'll hopefully take advantage of.

I think it’s a win you needed, takes the pressure off you a bit for the Leicester game next week.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

😂 As long as we're not bottom three after the Forest game he will be fine.

You definitely won't be when you win 4-1 next Saturday. 

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 2-1 Leeds - Sunday 9th October, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned
17 hours ago, Stan said:

You definitely won't be when you win 4-1 next Saturday. 

It depends on how we set up. If we try this 4-1-5 again with Doucoure doing three people's job then KDH and one other only have to keep pressing on him and we will fold.

If we take Ayew out for Hughes or Jairo and go 4-2-3-1 I'd fancy our chances. We were better in the second half against Leeds when Ayew dropped back in to central midfield. That said I don't know how much of that was to do with Leeds (and 90%+ of teams) not being able to play with that pressing intensity for more than 40 minutes.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It depends on how we set up. If we try this 4-1-5 again with Doucoure doing three people's job then KDH and one other only have to keep pressing on him and we will fold.

If we take Ayew out for Hughes or Jairo and go 4-2-3-1 I'd fancy our chances. We were better in the second half against Leeds when Ayew dropped back in to central midfield. That said I don't know how much of that was to do with Leeds (and 90%+ of teams) not being able to play with that pressing intensity for more than 40 minutes.

Trust me, any way you set up you're more likely to win. We can press for a certain time, but then our players appear to go into a bit of a lull - it happened after half-time on Saturday. We suddenly just looked dead on our feet and Bournemouth were able to play that bit quicker around us and get in behind.

When you have Zaha/Eze/Olise in your team, they'll run rings around us for fun!

Vieira also seems more in tune with what his players can do than Rodgers does for us. Rodgers also acts quite reactively, and often too late. We may start the game quite well, with energy and pace, but it's not something we can maintain. You'll overcome the imbalance we have in our squad - Barnes being the only proper decent winger we have is off form. When that's happened before, Rodgers often looks to go narrower, and play a diamond, leaving our full-backs exposed. Which brings me back to the Zaha/Eze/Olise threat...

Ironically, after a bad run of form and losing heavily to Palace at home, Puel got sacked. Rodgers should be gone by now, but I wonder if the same will (or should?) happen on Saturday...

Only ourselves to blame.

We should have been at least 2-0 up before Palace scored, which was pretty much against the run of play and all they did do first half. Bamford missing when through and Edouard scoring was literally 2mins apart. The free kick only came because Liam Cooper suddenly thought he was Paolo Maldini and attempted to skin someone and promptly gave away a silly free kick.

Id argue Doucoure was a little fortunate to escape a 2nd Yellow first half but there are no excuses for our 2nd half display. Non existant.

Marsch should have made changes sooner. Don't get how Joe Gelhardt gets a couple mins from the end to make an impression when we had zero shots on goal 2nd half, ridiculous.

We have played Saints, Everton, Brentford, Villa and Palace, all games that were very winnable and we've not one any of them. That good start we had has been a little glorified by that Chelsea win and its now time to start getting some wins on the board before the pressure starts building.

Archived