talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 18 Fixtures - 30th Dec - 1st Jan, 2023

football forum

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Devil said:

Looking at the City line up, surely he's got to be starting his strongest team when chasing down a rival team.

I think he's tinkering too much.

My theory is I think they're better without a natural 9. They are better suited to playing without. They've created a conundrum for themselves though because they've got the best number 9 of a generation. I think they'll end up going all in to get him all the personal records this season but going forward he'll be a little more rotated.

It's really plausible that Haaland gets something like 45 league goals but doesn't win the league.

I fail to believe they get 1 point from that and Brentford last season.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dan said:

My theory is I think they're better without a natural 9. They are better suited to playing without. They've created a conundrum for themselves though because they've got the best number 9 of a generation. I think they'll end up going all in to get him all the personal records this season but going forward he'll be a little more rotated.

It's really plausible that Haaland gets something like 45 league goals but doesn't win the league.

I fail to believe they get 1 point from that and Brentford last season

I just think Pep messes about with his team too much. They've got cup ties coning up, surely Foden and Cancelo should have been rested in those games.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of games Foden has started from the bench this season. I wouldn't usually notice but I've had him in my fantasy side twice now and both times I've noticed Pep leaves him out so often.

He wants to be careful because Foden could end feeling undervalued as other players aren't rotated nowhere near as much and I think Foden is their class. Cancelo must be scratching his head as well he's been in red hot form this season and he's being left out as well.

• The topic was unpinned
4 hours ago, Devil said:

I just think Pep messes about with his team too much. They've got cup ties coning up, surely Foden and Cancelo should have been rested in those games.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of games Foden has started from the bench this season. I wouldn't usually notice but I've had him in my fantasy side twice now and both times I've noticed Pep leaves him out so often.

He wants to be careful because Foden could end feeling undervalued as other players aren't rotated nowhere near as much and I think Foden is their class. Cancelo must be scratching his head as well he's been in red hot form this season and he's being left out as well.

Yeah I think its as simple as that.

If Walker, Cancelo and Foden start, I think they win fine.

Had no problems dismantling Man Utd in the derby when they played.

Walker and Cancelo especially add more width to their attack, I don't think Ake does that and as promising as Rico Lewis is, he is not Kyle Walker at the moment.

Very strange behaviour not to have given either at least one start so far But above all, Foden is the one that shocks me most. He's one of City's best players.

Pep is a law unto himself. He made no subs till the 87th minute yesterday, who leaves it that late when you are drawing at home and need the points?

This is a bloke that was crying for 5 subs a game too in the league. As much as I admire him, he's just too bloody minded and intricate for his own good at times.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Devil said:

Yeah I hear you, time will tell, but 10 shots at home to Everton - that's unheard of for them in this current era. They've lost something going forward and that's despite how many Haaland scores.

It's not just that Arsenal are flying but it's that Man City aren't looking like at quite the levels of the last two years for me either. Stars definitely aligning for Arsenal.

43 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah I hear you, time will tell, but 10 shots at home to Everton - that's unheard of for them in this current era. They've lost something going forward and that's despite how many Haaland scores.

It's not just that Arsenal are flying but it's that Man City aren't looking like at quite the levels of the last two years for me either. Stars definitely aligning for Arsenal.

Maybe you are on to something, I do think to facilitate these goal obsessed strikers you fundamentally lose something from the rest of your team.

We had it with Ronaldo last season, he scored 24 goals but the rest of the side stopped scoring. When you consider you had Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani you'd have expected a wider spread of goals. 

It does become a case of the best option is always to try and get it to the goal machine. That said I still think he messes about with his team too much and its coming back and biting him on his arse this season as Arsenal have been amazingly consistent.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Devil said:

Maybe you are on to something, I do think to facilitate these goal obsessed strikers you fundamentally lose something from the rest of your team.

We had it with Ronaldo last season, he scored 24 goals but the rest of the side stopped scoring. When you consider you had Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani you'd have expected a wider spread of goals. 

It does become a case of the best option is always to try and get it to the goal machine. That said I still think he messes about with his team too much and its coming back and biting him on his arse this season as Arsenal have been amazingly consistent.

Them and Liverpool have also won titles, posting 95+ point seasons without a recognised striker for large parts. It's not a dig at Haaland but more a bit of a wonder if there's a hidden issue in having him there.

The problem though is when you have Haaland who is that good, and scoring that many, how can you not play him? I think he's hit such a mad total so far that they'll play him every minute, chasing those records and it could be to their detriment.

I really think I'm all in on Arsenal. I think they'll do it.

Archived