talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Declan Rice Signs for Arsenal

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/06/2023 at 18:30, Danny said:

I’m genuinely interested to see how this works. Does Rice play as a DM? A box to box? He’s capable of long switches and able to drive the ball forward dribbling, but I rarely see him play direct, line splitting passes. Often for England he gives it to Bellingham who will play that pass instead, West Ham don’t play that type of football.

Whether thats instruction or lack of ability I don’t know, but modern DM’s need to be able to play it around, dictate play and open defences from deep. It’ll be interesting to see how Rice adapts to that if he does play as a DM.

Tbf they managed fine last season with Partey at DM, who doesn't really have an expansive passing game nor does he dictate tempo. Arsenal's build up last season was probably the highlight of Arteta's managerial stint as they found options in transition everywhere with intelligent movement. 

I think the Havertz/Rice/Odegaard midfield is plain suicide imo. This isn't some hipster ideology, its borderline stupid. Arsenal will be better off keeping Partey to play with Rice and Odegaard. Havertz as false 9 and Jesus + Saka on the wings. Even then, I still think it's dumb to accommodate a system tailored for Havertz. I don't even think they are building on to their attack, I think they are regressing it. 

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Tbf they managed fine last season with Partey at DM, who doesn't really have an expansive passing game nor does he dictate tempo. Arsenal's build up last season was probably the highlight of Arteta's managerial stint as they found options in transition everywhere with intelligent movement. 

I think the Havertz/Rice/Odegaard midfield is plain suicide imo. This isn't some hipster ideology, its borderline stupid. Arsenal will be better off keeping Partey to play with Rice and Odegaard. Havertz as false 9 and Jesus + Saka on the wings. Even then, I still think it's dumb to accommodate a system tailored for Havertz. I don't even think they are building on to their attack, I think they are regressing it. 

Now way Martinelli should be dropped for Havertz after the season Martinelli had. And also after the season Havertz had...

No way Partey should be sold either after the season he had but it looks like that's going to be the case so who knows. Xhaka shouldn't have been let go either. Should've kept both and added Rice.

Still have to wait and see how this Havertz plan pans out but it all seems unnecessarily risky.

• Subscriber
On 28/06/2023 at 23:44, Reluctant Striker said:

I'm sure David Moyes once said Rice for £150m if Grealish is £100m !

I do always feel a bit sad for West Ham, or whoever else it is. Even winning a trophy does not prevent these type moves.

For £105mil I'd say it's in their interest. A shame but that's such obscene money really and if they're getting Palhinha for £40mil as well they have every chance of coming out of this move a better team.

Rice has grown on me as a player but I'm still not quite having him in that bracket. That's English premium at its finest.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

For £105mil I'd say it's in their interest. A shame but that's such obscene money really and if they're getting Palhinha for £40mil as well they have every chance of coming out of this move a better team.

Rice has grown on me as a player but I'm still not quite having him in that bracket. That's English premium at its finest.

No chance Palhinha leaves for 40m. 

Archived