talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

football forum

20 hours ago, Stan said:

Can you quantify this? She didn't take a hiatus from football did she? She hasn't stopped playing or gave up trying? 

She may have added the political angle because she became a big name and wanted to make people aware of the inequality. 

Did you have the same criticism for Rashford when he was focusing on the free meals for kids initiatives? Even in general did you have the same criticism for him raising awareness of political issues instead of just focusing on football? 

Yes I did have the same criticism for Rashford.  I support the cause he was promoting, but felt that his political activism had an impact on his form.  Quite frankly he was crap during that stage and only improved when he spent less time on social issues and became more focused on football.  He needed to find a balance and I assume that was what happened.

Edited by Redcanuck

20 hours ago, Tommy said:

You only say that because you don't agree with their views. 

No, the slant of the political agenda and whether I agreed or not is not the issue.   I believe that to win at that level you need to be fully focused on the matter at hand, which is winning the World Cup.  Their attention and focus were divided, it hurt their preparation for the tournament and impacted how they played.   It wasn't the only reason they lost but it played a part.  

The Americans weren't the only team to have similar issues, here in Canada, the women's team were pushing some of the same issues.  They actually went on strike a few months before the World Cup and only ended their strike when faced with legal action.  Both Canada and the USA massively under preformed at this World Cup and their needs to be an autopsy of why.

• Administrator

Fantastic for Australia. Good on them! That 2nd half was good from them and they were better than France. Missed the shootout but glad to see they got through! 

Another big favourite out! 

Colombia took the lead. Beautiful shot by Santos. I thought it was deflected at first. Earp doing her best David Seaman vs. Ronaldinho impression.

But England with the equaliser after Catalina Perez fails to hold on to the ball. :( 

• The topic was unpinned