talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2023 - British GP - 7-9th July, 2023

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive driver by Lando! Bit gutted for Piastri though. Strange decision to go for hards by McLaren either way, but at least Lando managed to hold on to P2. 

I'm surprised by the level of abuse Cara Delevingne is still getting on Twitter for politely saying no to Martin Brundle. He was told multiple times not to approach her, he still did it, and made a snidey comment as he walked away as if he got rejected by a hot girl at a bar.

Firstly, the whole argument of 'You have to talk on the grid walk' isn't true.

Secondly, the whole argument 'You should do your research and know who Martin Brundle is' also isn't true. As when new people research the sport, one name who doesn't come up is Martin Brundle.

Those that are vehemently defending him seem to ignore the way he treats women in comparison to famous white males too.

• Subscriber

A reasonably large part of the F1 community refuses to accept that the "spectacle" aspect of Grands Prix has grown relative to the simple sporting aspect. Brundle is included in this. It is a shame that celebrities who have turned up are so conscious of controlling their image and every bit of output and media that they won't do a 15 second interview on the fly before a race but they also don't owe that to Brundle or the fans.

Of course, it's lovely to see celebrities like Sam Ryder turn up and be genuinely enthusiastic about the sport but some of them are just VIPs there to do VIP things and be seen. I've seen a lot of "if she's not interested in F1 then give her ticket to an actual fan" which is just incredibly naive. You get all sorts of celebrities turning up to all sorts of sporting events. The same F1 fans will be absolutely fan-boying all over pictures of drivers accepting invitations to come and watch an afternoon at Wimbledon on Centre Court while Joe Public queues for 8 hours just to get a day pass for the outside courts and Henman Hill/Murray Mound.

I don't think Megan Thee Stallion or Cara whats-her-face come across well when they refuse to give an interview during the grid walk while millions of fans who would kill to be there themselves watch on television. It makes them come across as overly sanitised and impersonal to me. As if you can't do an unplanned interview for less than a minute just to add to the scenery when you've been invited onto the grid as a VIP. I don't really have much sympathy about your social media team or whoever "advising you to say no". However, I also don't see why anyone cares enough for it still to be a topic of conversation on Monday morning and anyone who was rattled enough to go and post stuff to her on social media is a bit of a sad tit in my opinion.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived