talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roy Hodgson to Remain as Crystal Palace Boss

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feels like Palace are going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place in the short term.

They have gone back to what they know works. Fair enough. His impact was obviously succesful at the time and maybe there isn't a manager available they see taking the club forward currently. From that perspective, it makes sense to continue with Roy.

But you wonder if the Viera experience has slightly put them off trying to go down that route again. Ultimately the threat of losing your Premier League place once you are established weighs heavy on the mind.

Will Roy take them any further forward than he did in his first spell? Tricky one.

• Subscriber

Unless he's going to take them to maybe Europe this just seems really pointless. Can't deny he picked them up and he was absolutely the right choice as an interim but this points to a real lack of imagination.

I am happy about this decision for Hodgson. At nearly 76, he is still managing at the highest level. Given the resources that Palace have compared to a lot of other Premier League clubs, I think that Roy will do a decent job at Palace. He may not take them to Europe, but Palace fans can have confidence in him helping Palace avoid relegation and most likely finishing some place in mid-table. When he was appointed last season, near the end of the campaign, to help Palace avoid relegation, he immediately steadied the ship. He got Palace performing and getting the wins and the points that they needed. Letting Roy stay on for another year, is a sensible move for Palace in my humble opinion.

I think those that are disappointed with this news are so because it leans in to the notion that Harris and Blitzer are still not willing to invest in the money that will make us competitive at this level. I said when Vieira was sacked, the best thing Steve Parish could do for this club was to find new investors to replace Harris, Blitzer and possibly Textor but that looks highly unrealistic now.

Last season was our opportunity to push on and it didn't happen. We were grouped with Aston Villa and Brighton as 'one of these sides should get in the top half' this time last year. We didnt replace Gallagher, we didnt replace Benteke, those clubs are both now in Europe whereby we are in a similar position as the season before.

Archived