talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Next England Manager - Lee Carsley?

football forum

Got to say Carsley has this u21 team firing, not sure I’ve ever seen an England u21 play football this good and also look solid/a unit.

Southgate won’t be around forever and this crop of players will be the next to step up. Thoughts?

Edited by Danny

I also say no. It's a bit different to Southgate making the step up from the U21s, as at least Southgate's got history of being an England player. I think that's got him a bit more ready to deal with the sort of ego that you'd find yourself managing as England manager. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I also say no. It's a bit different to Southgate making the step up from the U21s, as at least Southgate's got history of being an England player. I think that's got him a bit more ready to deal with the sort of ego that you'd find yourself managing as England manager. 

I think he’s need a few tournaments minimum at U21 level to impress for the job, not just to show competency at international level but because most of the squad will have been managed by him in some capacity if he were to take over. Not sure the likes of Kane, Sterling etc would give him the benefit of the doubt in the way they did Southgate.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Danny said:

I think he’s need a few tournaments minimum at U21 level to impress for the job, not just to show competency at international level but because most of the squad will have been managed by him in some capacity if he were to take over. Not sure the likes of Kane, Sterling etc would give him the benefit of the doubt in the way they did Southgate.

Yeah if he's staying at the U21s for a while (assuming he always gets them playing at this level), I don't see the problem with moving him to the actual international team as then the vast majority of the players will be pretty familiar with him. I think Southgate having the benefit of being in an England side that actually made it far in a tournament is probably what makes him so well suited to being England manager tbh - I think he knows what he's got to instill in the squad to mentally be ready for going deep into a tournament, even if tactics aren't always the greatest. And tbh I think with international management, simple tactics and good management get you pretty far - so I can understand why Southgate's the best England manager in our lifetimes.

• 3 months later...
On 05/07/2023 at 17:25, Danny said:

Got to say Carsley has this u21 team firing, not sure I’ve ever seen an England u21 play football this good and also look solid/a unit.

Southgate won’t be around forever and this crop of players will be the next to step up. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do. Won the euros so why not. 

On 05/07/2023 at 20:57, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think winning the euros will make up for that. If you are looking at English managers Howe is probably the strongest but I think Carsleys international experience will help. Even if it is u21