football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Does it matter if they keep winning? Completely different eleven anyway so can't judge against the other games

I’m sure you contradict for contradicting sake. Let’s give Man City & Arsenal a 1-0 lead within ten minutes if that’s the attitude. Or…we could be ready to play from minute one and not have to play catch up.

Different 11, same issue. That first half was shit from us, and if you say anything other than that then I know you’re on a wind up. It was a copy of how the Wolves game played out. 

Edited by Rick

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’m sure you contradict for contradicting sake. Let’s give Man City & Arsenal a 1-0 lead within ten minutes if that’s the attitude. Or…we could be ready to play from minute one and not have to play catch up.

Different 11, same issue. That first half was shit from us, and if you say anything other than that then I know you’re on a wind up. It was a copy of how the Wolves game played out. 

Completely different games against those sides isn't it.

I'm sure you love just moaning for moaning sake. First half was shit but they won comfortably in the end. It's why you have a strong squad so you can make changes from the bench. Honestly, a 3-1 away win where you've rested most of your best players for about an hour, why are you being negative? xD

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Is the Liverpool squad that started yesterday likely to be the one to play in the EFL Cup against us yesterday? Or go weaker with the Spurs game on Saturday just after...?

I doubt Van Dijk and Konate start that one. Other than that it won't be far off

14 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Completely different games against those sides isn't it.

I'm sure you love just moaning for moaning sake. First half was shit but they won comfortably in the end. It's why you have a strong squad so you can make changes from the bench. Honestly, a 3-1 away win where you've rested most of your best players for about an hour, why are you being negative? xD

Because we did the exact same in the Wolves game and I don’t want it to begin a pattern of us having a slow start. Only won the game once those first team players came on. I want to see a lot more from that starting 11 last night, not going a goal down and struggling to create anything other than a header from a set piece. Not a lot to expect against LASK is it? 

52 minutes ago, Rick said:

Because we did the exact same in the Wolves game and I don’t want it to begin a pattern of us having a slow start. Only won the game once those first team players came on. I want to see a lot more from that starting 11 last night, not going a goal down and struggling to create anything other than a header from a set piece. Not a lot to expect against LASK is it? 

Football is played over 90 minutes, not 30. Home teams often have a strong start against better opposition before the favourite settles into the game and gets a foothold. 

It was largely a side that hadn't played together before so sometimes it does appear a bit disjointed. See it often with League Cup type sides. 

Look at the positives. Going 1-0 down last season was a massive problem for Liverpool. It doesn't appear to be the case this season because they seem to be sorting any issues and managing to stay in the game rather than conceding another. 

I suppose away games at Tottenham and Brighton will give a good indication of how much they've improved.

4 hours ago, Rick said:

We're bedding in basically a whole new midfield, I think given the circumstances struggling is expected but the squad is also strong enough to grow into games seemingly and often times having actual options on the bench to change things up has been a big difference between this season and last season. Once this midfield gets more settled with working with one another, I suspect we see a much more solid looking side over 90 minutes.

Gotta say, I liked the look of Gravenberch on his full debut yesterday. He didn't have the greatest first half, but really came into it in the second half. And immediate impact with the assist for what ultimately was the decisive goal that gave us the lead. The new midfield's clearly not totally settled yet, but we've got new lads come in and show us a lot of what we've been missing from the midfield for years. There's clearly a lot of quality that's been brought in, now they just need to get used to being a part of Klopp's system and playing with all new teammates.

I think the early signs are pretty good tbh. Look at it this way: by the nature of us suddenly having a basically all new midfield, the season's very much a season in transition. And we still look like we've got the quality to compete, even if we're suffering setbacks like conceding early goals. We haven't really played anyone that I'd call a pretty good side yet though... maybe Newcastle... and I think we came through that looking the better side over the 90 minutes - like @LFCMike says, we'll probably have an indication of how much we've improved away to Spurs, who have a new lease of life under that nice Australian fella, and Brighton - who are one of the most in form sides in the league, despite their own setback in Europe.

We'd all obviously prefer we don't go down early in matches, but at least we're seeing the side be able to fight back when things don't go their way as we've got a lot of new players right in the heart of the pitch. And we're seeing the new players make early contributions that are an indication that they'll settle into the side just fine over time. For a transitional season, anything other than that is sort of a bonus. I didn't go into this expectations with anything other than hoping we regain top 4 and if we manage to go beyond that by winning anything... that's just a nice something extra. I hope we win everything we're competing for this season... but I'm not expecting a lot when we're competing against Man City domestically. They've had changes... they're still less in flux than us.

And we're probably favourites for the Europa League - but if Sevilla get knocked down into it from the CL, regardless of how shit they are domestically, they're always going to be favourites for the Europa League while they're in it. It's like Real Madrid in the CL, rule them out at your own peril. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Is the Liverpool squad that started yesterday likely to be the one to play in the EFL Cup against us yesterday? Or go weaker with the Spurs game on Saturday just after...?

Probably a similar squad, I wouldn't expect Virgil to start though.

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

Lads, it’s easier if you both just admit I was right and we can move on 👀

After last year being so negative, seeing us actually address the biggest fundamental problem we had with the squad (partially forced by us shifting on Fabinho, who looked like a spent force for much of the season, and Henderson, who looked a bit better but not by much) by fully rebuilding the midfield... and us get results despite things like going down a goal early, which was more often than not... a sign of almost surefire defeat last season, I'm more inclined to be pretty positive with the squad this season.

If we look pretty decent now, once the squad gets more settled... I think we'll be looking pretty good. It's just a waiting game and hoping that players can settle in quickly, tbh.

But seeing some actual creativity out of our midfield in the early days of the season is a HUGE upgrade over last season tbh.

• The topic was unpinned