talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do You Prefer Series or Films?

football forum

From a young age I've watched shed loads of movies. Series never really appealed to me but round 2010, everyone you spoke to would be walking about the series they were watching. As years went on people were talking about streaming sites and series they were watching on Sky etc.

Anyway, I remember for years people talking about The Walking Dead. which started round 2011? In the final quarter of 2016 I decided to give it a go and see what it was like. This would be the first series I watched properly and I was hooked on it. I caught up on TWD round January 2017 and now had to wait for the new season to start. It was in 2017 I started using streaming sites and going through series like nobodies business.

Being honest, I'll say since 2017 I've probably only watched round 4 or 5 movies. Yet from the late 80's to 2017 I was hooked on movies and had no interest in series.

It's kind of flipped on it's head.

• The title was changed to Do You Prefer Series or Films?
  • Subscriber

I always loved both, but was much more into movies earlier in life, as the quality used to be generally higher than TV shows, and the cinematography and storytelling was by far superior. I was also very interested in the artistic and creative aspects of it. In the last decade or so though, I got way more into TV series and barely watched any movies; mostly because episodes are shorter and thus it is more convenient when you have little spare time... Lately, I've been trying to get more into movies again though, got a lot of catching up to do.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Depends, I don't mind watching series but not with someone who binge-watches them like the wife, it does my head in, I can sit here with Liz and maybe watch a couple of episodes with the intention of watching a few more episodes now and then.

Many a time I have left her watching the beginning of a series and headed off to bed and when I got up in the morning she then told me she had watched the lot, so really I prefer a film any day.

• Subscriber

@nudge is pretty bang on. It used to be only movies you would get the story telling and characters we've come to love but things have shifted. There where exceptions with the likes of The Soprano's or The Wire in the late 90s and early 00's but those where kind of the breakthrough for TV. I still watch both but I do find myself watching far less movies these days as alot of it is reboots and marvel crap I dont give two shits about. I do enjoy going to the theaters a few times a year for select movies; I plan to see Killers of the Flower Moon in the next few weeks for example.

The quantity of quality series these days is actually hard to keep up with as well. Theres something for nearly every genre im finding as im just diving into Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinets of Curosities :) Alot of top actors and directors have migrated to doing them in the last bunch of years as well as the money has been pouring in too. 

It also makes me appreciate some of the older movies as I just went back and watched the LOTR series again. Even going back further with the film club v2 and watching Once Upon a Time in America.. they just dont make movies like that anymore. Maybe thats just the Sergio Leone magic and im reminiscing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Weird thing is since I got into series 6 years ago. If I do watch a movie I'll watch it in the manner I would when watching a series. By this I mean if the movie is 2 hours. I'll watch 40 minutes at a time. Am so use to this timeframe now, due to the number of series I've watched in recent years.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

@nudge is pretty bang on. It used to be only movies you would get the story telling and characters we've come to love but things have shifted. There where exceptions with the likes of The Soprano's or The Wire in the late 90s and early 00's but those where kind of the breakthrough for TV. I still watch both but I do find myself watching far less movies these days as alot of it is reboots and marvel crap I dont give two shits about. I do enjoy going to the theaters a few times a year for select movies; I plan to see Killers of the Flower Moon in the next few weeks for example.

The quantity of quality series these days is actually hard to keep up with as well. Theres something for nearly every genre im finding as im just diving into Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinets of Curosities :) Alot of top actors and directors have migrated to doing them in the last bunch of years as well as the money has been pouring in too. 

It also makes me appreciate some of the older movies as I just went back and watched the LOTR series again. Even going back further with the film club v2 and watching Once Upon a Time in America.. they just dont make movies like that anymore. Maybe thats just the Sergio Leone magic and im reminiscing. 

I was so looking forward to watching Killers of the Flower Moon at the cinema, but it seems the idiots here are not showing it 😭 I hope they at least show The Killer with Michael Fassbender in November and Silent Night with Kinnaman in December, but it's not looking promising... Will have to wait until all of them are available online :( 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

@MUFC