The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid to Reject Invite to FIFA World Club Cup

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it would be nice if Real Madrid were rejecting this in protest to the increasing number of games players are expected to play a season and do something to protect them from burnout and injury.

But no... Real Madrid are just pissed off they're not getting paid enough. To be honest, I can understand Real Madrid's position. FIFA wants people to care about their revamped competition that they've never managed to get Europeans to give a fuck about... but they're willing to pay less than what the prize money is from just participating in the CL group stages. It's not exactly going to be a high priority competition for Real Madrid, or any other club that's a regular in the CL.

Real Madrid and manager Carlo Ancelotti have clarified the Champions League winners will compete at next year's Club World Cup despite the Italian earlier saying the club would "refuse the invitation".

Ancelotti's comment appeared in an interview with Italian newspaper Il Giornale, external which was released on Monday.

But the 65-year-old later posted on social media to say his words were "not interpreted in the way I intended".

He added: "Nothing could be further from my interest than to reject the possibility of playing in a tournament that I consider could be a great opportunity to continue fighting for big titles with Real Madrid."