• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Football League 2017/18 - 23-27th February, 2018

Recommended Posts

353.gif354.gif355.gif

all kick-offs 15.00 unless stated

Friday 23rd February, 2018
Championship
Hull vs Sheff Utd, 19.45

Saturday 24th February, 2018
Championship
Birmingham vs Burnley
Burton vs Millwall
Fulham vs Wolves
Leeds vs Brentford
Norwich vs Bolton
Preston vs Ipswich
QPR vs Nottm Forest
Reading vs Derby
Sheff Weds vs Aston Villa
Sunderland vs Middlesbrough

League One
Bristol Rovers vs Scunthorpe
Bury vs Gillingham
Charlton vs Shrewsbury
Fleetwood vs MK Dons
Northampton vs Oxford
Oldham vs Southend
Peterborough vs AFC Wimbledon
Plymouth vs Bradford
Portsmouth vs Blackpool
Rotherham vs Doncaster
Walsall vs Blackburn
Wigan vs Rochdale

League Two
Accrington Stanley vs Cambridge
Chesterfield vs Swindon
Colchester vs Barnet
Forest Green vs Crawley
Grimsby vs Exeter
Lincoln vs Crewe
Luton vs Cheltenham
Mansfield vs Coventry
Notts County vs Stevenage
Port Vale vs Newport
Wycombe vs Morecambe
Yeovil vs Carlisle

Sunday 25th February, 2018
Championship
Cardiff vs Bristol City, 12.00

Tuesday 27th February, 2018
Championship
Hull vs Barnsley, 19.45
Reading vs Sheff Utd, 19.45

League One
AFC Wimbledon vs Blackburn, 19.45
Bristol Rovers vs Wigan, 19.45
Peterborough vs Walsall, 19.45

League Two
Wycombe vs Coventry, 19.45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off to The Valley tomorrow for what can be described by an age old footballing clichè as a “good game on paper” between 6th place Charlton Athletic, hoping to cement themselves in the hunt for a play-off place, and 2nd place Shrewsbury Town, hoping to keep up with Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic. 

All tickets £5 at Charlton tomorrow, no matter your age. They do this a couple of times a year and it brings the crowds in. It makes me question why they don’t do it more? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Smash the carrot crunching cunts please. 

that's a new one xDxD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Smash the carrot crunching cunts please. 

They’ve blown their load already, if you ask me, ala Orient in 13/14 when Wolves and Brentford had another couple of gears to go up post Christmas, Orient had hit their maximum and struggled in the second half of the season. It looks as if Blackburn and Wigan, still with three games in hand, have those gears to go up to and Shrewsbury have hit, or are hitting, their maximum now.

I usually see an entertaining game when I go to Charlton, with a few goals scored too and I hope for much of the same tomorrow but I have a feeling it’ll be 1-1 tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hull fans protesting at their owners, The Allams, by throwing yellow sponge balls on to the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’ve blown their load already, if you ask me, ala Orient in 13/14 when Wolves and Brentford had another couple of gears to go up post Christmas, Orient had hit their maximum and struggled in the second half of the season. It looks as if Blackburn and Wigan, still with three games in hand, have those gears to go up to and Shrewsbury have hit, or are hitting, their maximum now.

I usually see an entertaining game when I go to Charlton, with a few goals scored too and I hope for much of the same tomorrow but I have a feeling it’ll be 1-1 tomorrow. 

They've struggled recently, but they're still up there and they did beat us earlier in the season (albeit thanks to Bogle getting sent off). Won't be easy either way, but we've managed to get back to winning ways following the disastrous Christmas period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big weekend for us, Wolves/Fulham and Bristol/Cardiff where hopefully both Fulham and Bristol will drop points. We always do well against Leeds these days and considering our squad and last couple of games I'm expecting another win. We need it to push up now.

12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’ve blown their load already, if you ask me, ala Orient in 13/14 when Wolves and Brentford had another couple of gears to go up post Christmas, Orient had hit their maximum and struggled in the second half of the season. It looks as if Blackburn and Wigan, still with three games in hand, have those gears to go up to and Shrewsbury have hit, or are hitting, their maximum now.

I usually see an entertaining game when I go to Charlton, with a few goals scored too and I hope for much of the same tomorrow but I have a feeling it’ll be 1-1 tomorrow. 

Bit like Tranmere Rovers you were a few years back, I remember they beat us around Xmas and celebrated like they had won promotion and at that point I knew they were going to drop off from top spot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Big weekend for us, Wolves/Fulham and Bristol/Cardiff where hopefully both Fulham and Bristol will drop points. We always do well against Leeds these days and considering our squad and last couple of games I'm expecting another win. We need it to push up now.

 

And this is exactly what infuriates me currently about the situation with Leeds. The fact that Brentford expect to beat us, on our own patch. That should never be the case and yet the sad fact is, that is the reality. This is going to be a very tough game for us. I'd also expect a Brentford win, especially the way we've been giving the cheapiest of cheap goals away. It's Sunday League at the back with us...

The only thing in our favour is that we have Samu Saiz back who add's that extra bit of quality that can be the difference and Lassoga's confidence is getting better in front of goal on the back of 5 goals in the last 6 games.

If you are looking for both teams to score on your betting coupon, this is nailed on for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

And this is exactly what infuriates me currently about the situation with Leeds. The fact that Brentford expect to beat us, on our own patch. That should never be the case and yet the sad fact is, that is the reality. This is going to be a very tough game for us. I'd also expect a Brentford win, especially the way we've been giving the cheapiest of cheap goals away. It's Sunday League at the back with us...

The only thing in our favour is that we have Samu Saiz back who add's that extra bit of quality that can be the difference and Lassoga's confidence is getting better in front of goal on the back of 5 goals in the last 6 games.

If you are looking for both teams to score on your betting coupon, this is nailed on for me.

You're not the only ones in this division that feel that way I imagine, Forest, Wednesday, Brum, Sunderland....we've been better than Villa head to head the last two seasons but them in contention for automatics means they probably wouldn't care but if they weren't doing as well I imagine they'd feel the same.

Leeds are a funny one, it's mad to think you've been out of the top flight for over 14 years now. I think what's more infuriating for clubs like yourselves is less that you're expecting to get beat by us and more that we're run better by a country mile, if you had our owner you'd be in the Prem by now and to be honest if we didn't have our owner we'd probably be somewhere near Leyton Orient. But we do, and he's running the club superbly and making us a model for Championship clubs. Once we reach a level of success that clubs recognise more will try and follow our model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danny said:

You're not the only ones in this division that feel that way I imagine, Forest, Wednesday, Brum, Sunderland....we've been better than Villa head to head the last two seasons but them in contention for automatics means they probably wouldn't care but if they weren't doing as well I imagine they'd feel the same.

Leeds are a funny one, it's mad to think you've been out of the top flight for over 14 years now. I think what's more infuriating for clubs like yourselves is less that you're expecting to get beat by us and more that we're run better by a country mile, if you had our owner you'd be in the Prem by now and to be honest if we didn't have our owner we'd probably be somewhere near Leyton Orient. But we do, and he's running the club superbly and making us a model for Championship clubs. Once we reach a level of success that clubs recognise more will try and follow our model.

Yeah pretty much. Not sure about the others you mentioned because I wouldn't quite put them on an even pedestal to us in terms of how we're viewed.

Certainly from our perspective it's been incredibly frustrating to watch one season wonders like Blackpool and Huddersfield get one of those season's out of nowhere that get's them up, or lower calibre sides like Hull, Burnley, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton etc outspend us.

Not saying they don't deserve it at all, you get what you deserve by performances on the pitch, but as you say you question why these clubs can do it and one like us that has so many other things going for it can't.

The only thing going for us is our fanbase and that is the heart and soul of the club. I'd like to think one day we'll be rewarded for following this headfuck of a club.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Yeah pretty much. Not sure about the others you mentioned because I wouldn't quite put them on an even pedestal to us in terms of how we're viewed.

Certainly from our perspective it's been incredibly frustrating to watch one season wonders like Blackpool and Huddersfield get one of those season's out of nowhere that get's them up, or lower calibre sides like Hull, Burnley, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton etc outspend us.

Not saying they don't deserve it at all, you get what you deserve by performances on the pitch, but as you say you question why these clubs can do it and one like us that has so many other things going for it can't.

The only thing going for us is our fanbase and that is the heart and soul of the club. I'd like to think one day we'll be rewarded for following this headfuck of a club.

 

You'd think now you own the ground again that'd be a start for the club in terms of spending, it'd be interesting to see how you'd do in the Premier League if you were to get promoted. Would the size of your fanbase make much of a difference for you when first going up?

I remember Leeds when I was young as a Premier League side, Viduka, Kewell, Smith etc...had a Leeds supporting mate in secondary school so saw his daily depression about being in League One. To be honest I don't associate you as that top fkight side anymore but it'd be good to see Leeds back up just to see how you'd compete after a few years up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danny said:

You'd think now you own the ground again that'd be a start for the club in terms of spending, it'd be interesting to see how you'd do in the Premier League if you were to get promoted. Would the size of your fanbase make much of a difference for you when first going up?

I remember Leeds when I was young as a Premier League side, Viduka, Kewell, Smith etc...had a Leeds supporting mate in secondary school so saw his daily depression about being in League One. To be honest I don't associate you as that top fkight side anymore but it'd be good to see Leeds back up just to see how you'd compete after a few years up.

This season is the first we've been moving in the right direction off the pitch. I hope that continues. Small steps but I think we're rebuilding the relationship between the club and the fans again after all of Cellino's nonsense.

The best football I've seen us play was under O'Leary. And it saddens me to think how close we were to winning trophies with that team. Probably why it's so much harder to stomach because we fell so low so quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

This season is the first we've been moving in the right direction off the pitch. I hope that continues. Small steps but I think we're rebuilding the relationship between the club and the fans again after all of Cellino's nonsense.

The best football I've seen us play was under O'Leary. And it saddens me to think how close we were to winning trophies with that team. Probably why it's so much harder to stomach because we fell so low so quickly.

Know any good streams? I'm dying with no live football here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating first half, losing to a set piece goal in a game we've otherwise been in control of but not done enough to score.

How Ailoski isn't off the pitch I don't know, lost control of the ball and studded Barbet's knee in a "50/50" but no yellow card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

always late drama in the Football League!

Sunderland score in the 96th minute to rescue a point in a 3-3 draw at home to Middlesbrough.

Rotherham seal 3 points after 2 goals - in the 93rd minute and 103rd minute - against Doncaster at home. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was shit. Honestly the worst I've ever seen us play and I've watched Brentford lose 4-1 to Millwall. Maybe exaggerating there a bit but christ that was difficult. Masters of our own downfall.

Not outclassed in the slightest but Leeds just defended well, kept shape and pressured our defence. We completely fell apart, was basically passing the ball to them at times our passing was that bad. Their heads must still have been at Griffin Park reliving Wednesday night because once Leeds got that goal they made us work for everything and we played like a B Team playing a men's team.

So frustrating, I can handle being outclasses. Fair play. To lose the game to a constant flow of errors though is just frustrating. Didn't need to give the free kick away for their goal, goal scorer was not challenged for the ball, keeper is beat at his far post with a low glancing header.

I will say that they should have a red (second yellow) in the first half with the clear boot to Barbets knee, regardless of whether it's a 50-50. Flip side to that is the ref proper fucked Leeds over by not playing advantage when they went 2v1 with our keeper. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Cardiff City at home up next, I'm sure that will be fun. Needed to win today to put a push on the play offs, can't keep snapping at their tails and not even enter the top 6. A lot of games to be played and points to be won, if Bristol lose we're still only 4 points off but we need to get a run of form going.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

That was shit. Honestly the worst I've ever seen us play and I've watched Brentford lose 4-1 to Millwall. Maybe exaggerating there a bit but christ that was difficult. Masters of our own downfall.

Not outclassed in the slightest but Leeds just defended well, kept shape and pressured our defence. We completely fell apart, was basically passing the ball to them at times our passing was that bad. Their heads must still have been at Griffin Park reliving Wednesday night because once Leeds got that goal they made us work for everything and we played like a B Team playing a men's team.

So frustrating, I can handle being outclasses. Fair play. To lose the game to a constant flow of errors though is just frustrating. Didn't need to give the free kick away for their goal, goal scorer was not challenged for the ball, keeper is beat at his far post with a low glancing header.

I will say that they should have a red (second yellow) in the first half with the clear boot to Barbets knee, regardless of whether it's a 50-50. Flip side to that is the ref proper fucked Leeds over by not playing advantage when they went 2v1 with our keeper. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Cardiff City at home up next, I'm sure that will be fun. Needed to win today to put a push on the play offs, can't keep snapping at their tails and not even enter the top 6. A lot of games to be played and points to be won, if Bristol lose we're still only 4 points off but we need to get a run of form going.

I can feel your frustration, it was a winnable game for you but you weren't at the races today despite high hopes pre match.

We shut you down well which makes a change for us, never allowing you to play your natural game. The goal changed the game for us in a big way, giving us something to hold on to, and from that point we made you play where we wanted you to, in front of us. I thought you'd really come at us second half being one down but it didn't really materialise, we looked more likely to make it 2-0.

It's been a long time since we last won (Boxing Day) so it's nice to finally get the monkey off our backs this year and give Heckingbottam  his first win. Some aspects were pleasing to see, like the discipline positionally on the pitch and effort from the players, which was an improvement from what we've previously seen under him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I can feel your frustration, it was a winnable game for you but you weren't at the races today despite high hopes pre match.

We shut you down well which makes a change for us, never allowing you to play your natural game. The goal changed the game for us in a big way, giving us something to hold on to, and from that point we made you play where we wanted you to, in front of us. I thought you'd really come at us second half being one down but it didn't really materialise, we looked more likely to make it 2-0.

It's been a long time since we last won (Boxing Day) so it's nice to finally get the monkey off our backs this year and give Heckingbottam  his first win. Some aspects were pleasing to see, like the discipline positionally on the pitch and effort from the players, which was an improvement from what we've previously seen under him.

I think our midfield struggled tbh, Yennaris out injured, McEachran injured also. Good to see Woods back but Mokotjo was poor and probably suffered fatigue.

We were just so poor, I can't see promotion tbh. Not this season anyway, we've got a good side that's young and tied down to long term contracts so the future is good but I don't think we have enough in us to make the play offs. Still plenty of time to be proven wrong but that early season form has cust us dear and we don't seem to have the performances to go above and beyond that. Essentially we need to perform like a side fighting for automatics at this stage and that's too much for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derby dropping points was good but a shame that Sheffield Wednesday blew it at the end of the game. Got to win tomorrow now.

Fulham and Wolves drawing would be good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Fulham take the lead against Wolves. 1-0.

shock that it's Ryan Sessegnon again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you see just how well Fulham play, it's actually ludicrous to think that someone like Cardiff could go up at the expense of them. Football is sometimes a very weird sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

When you see just how well Fulham play, it's actually ludicrous to think that someone like Cardiff could go up at the expense of them. Football is sometimes a very weird sport.

Fulham were shit at the beginning of the season to the point that Jokanovic could have been sacked.

We may not be pretty but we've been generally consistent regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Fulham were shit at the beginning of the season to the point that Jokanovic could have been sacked.

We may not be pretty but we've been generally consistent regardless.

Yeah you've been consistent, can't knock that to be honest.

Fulham took a while to get going for sure but they are on it now. And they play the right way. It's a personal preference for me to see the better footballing sides go up. But they will wobble again at some point, they are down here for a reason after all.

Think Villa will still get second mind and Fulham (hopefully) in the playoffs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

needs to be some credit for Plymouth I think.

Bottom of League One in December. In the space of 2 months, they've shot up the table and are now in play-off contention. 

They've only lost 1 in 15 games and have won their last 6 games, including beating top 2 Blackburn and Shrewsbury. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement