talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Where Do You Need To Strengthen In The Summer?

22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well we'll not get a better chance of securing top four with the run in we have so if we don't get it, we won't deserve it.

I'm looking forward to the summer though regardless. I've a feeling Klopp's going to proper improve our squad both in terms of first 11 and in depth. That though will be a whole lot easier with CL football. 

Paul Joyce, who's usually reliable, has been saying today that FSG are prepared to back Klopp big time and go after proven quality with our biggest transfer kitty ever. So that's exciting.

For me, our biggest holes are, in order: ST, CB, GK, LB. A striker is an absolute must and I fucking pray we don't cock it up like last time. We definitely need depth at CB but an improvement to our starting XI wouldn't hurt. I'm sick of talking about our GK situation. Milner's done okay at left back he can be caught out at times and, with Coutinho playing on the left of our front three, we have zero width on that side.

As for Clyne, I think he's fine. No, he's not particularly good going forward, but he gets up and down that flank all day long and he's defensively solid. Ideally, we'd have a better right back than him, but there are far more pressing issues for us to worry about at the moment.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think he's consistently good though. He's consistently average and he's had some really poor performances since the turn of the year. Let's just say if Alberto Moreno had turned out some of those performances he'd have been lynched by now.

I disagree with that completely. He's basically Steve Finnan with more athleticism in my books. A consistent 7 - 7.5 player, which I don't think is a terrible thing to have at fullback. Alberto Moreno would be lynched because he can't defend and he thinks it's his job to always be out of position. So maybe that is a "consistently average" player - but other than Matip, I think he's been our only good consistent defender this season (although with Lovren it's hard to say he's not been good - it's more that he's not been fit).

I think we've got other major issues to address before we go splash the cash on a new right back. Arguably our most important signing of the summer will be a striker, because Origi's not really progressed since his fine form last season was cut short by some Evertonian scum and Sturridge is a crock and most likely on his way out. Milner's alright as cover for left back - but he's made more costly mistakes than Clyne at the back (and I'm not surprised, as he's not a fullback), so that seems more pressing. And even more pressing than a LB, I'd say we need a keeper and a CB.

A keeper because whoever decided that Loris Karius was the man to keep Mignolet out of our goal probably should have looked at the basic stats of keepers in the Bundesliga. All of where Karius was weak last year statistically (despite him being considered a good keeper last season) are all the areas where Mignolet was letting us down. As a result, we've basically signed a budget Mignolet as cover for Mignolet. Poor signing and should be remedied in the summer. And while Mignolet looks improved this season, I still think we can do better.

CB is tougher, but Lovren is developing injury problems, Klavan is alright but he's still a bit shit imo, and it looks to me as though Matip is going to need a consistent partner if we're to actually have a good defense. I'd also argue that we need to sign a new central midfielder over a right back, preferably a more defensive minded one.

So I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I disagree with that completely. He's basically Steve Finnan with more athleticism in my books. A consistent 7 - 7.5 player, which I don't think is a terrible thing to have at fullback. Alberto Moreno would be lynched because he can't defend and he thinks it's his job to always be out of position. So maybe that is a "consistently average" player - but other than Matip, I think he's been our only good consistent defender this season (although with Lovren it's hard to say he's not been good - it's more that he's not been fit).

I think we've got other major issues to address before we go splash the cash on a new right back. Arguably our most important signing of the summer will be a striker, because Origi's not really progressed since his fine form last season was cut short by some Evertonian scum and Sturridge is a crock and most likely on his way out. Milner's alright as cover for left back - but he's made more costly mistakes than Clyne at the back (and I'm not surprised, as he's not a fullback), so that seems more pressing. And even more pressing than a LB, I'd say we need a keeper and a CB.

A keeper because whoever decided that Loris Karius was the man to keep Mignolet out of our goal probably should have looked at the basic stats of keepers in the Bundesliga. All of where Karius was weak last year statistically (despite him being considered a good keeper last season) are all the areas where Mignolet was letting us down. As a result, we've basically signed a budget Mignolet as cover for Mignolet. Poor signing and should be remedied in the summer. And while Mignolet looks improved this season, I still think we can do better.

CB is tougher, but Lovren is developing injury problems, Klavan is alright but he's still a bit shit imo, and it looks to me as though Matip is going to need a consistent partner if we're to actually have a good defense. I'd also argue that we need to sign a new central midfielder over a right back, preferably a more defensive minded one.

So I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Steve Finnan was so much better going forward. Knew how to put a cross in that's for sure. Same can't be said of Clyne. I agree, and have already said, that there are other areas that need addressing but that doesn't mean we should be happy with someone like Clyne as our right back.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

Been linked today to Gylfi Sigurdsson. Would be a superb signing I think. Can see someone better going in for him though.

not the first time though. Definitely far too good for the Championship if Swansea go down but then I think he'll want to aim higher than us cos he probably could fit in well at a side like Everton or Southampton.

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Romesh said:

not the first time though. Definitely far too good for the Championship if Swansea go down but then I think he'll want to aim higher than us cos he probably could fit in well at a side like Everton or Southampton.

On this subject, who do people consider "better" to join? The top 7 obviously. I'd throw West Ham in there as well. Southampton I reckon about par.

Archived