talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

• Subscriber

Bikepacking is not really my thing, but yeah, looks quite interesting... The people he talked to looked quite awkward and not particularly willing to engage though xD 

This reminded me of something though... I met a friend of a friend for a few beers today, as he's been traveling in SE Asia for a few months now and made it to my town today. Which in itself is of course cool, as traveling is great and all that, and there are of course many different individual ways of doing that. However, we got into a discussion as he mentioned he's not particularly interested in either sightseeing/nature or in bars/nightlife, not really keen on meeting the locals either, so it got me thinking - wtf is the purpose of that? You basically spend your time in hostels that are all the same, together with other European (or "Western" in general sense) people similar to you, you have to save money as your trip is long term so you need to budget your savings, and so you're not really indulging into food, drinks, or local culture at all. I feel like I'm missing the point somewhere here.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Bikepacking is not really my thing, but yeah, looks quite interesting... The people he talked to looked quite awkward and not particularly willing to engage though xD 

This reminded me of something though... I met a friend of a friend for a few beers today, as he's been traveling in SE Asia for a few months now and made it to my town today. Which in itself is of course cool, as traveling is great and all that, and there are of course many different individual ways of doing that. However, we got into a discussion as he mentioned he's not particularly interested in either sightseeing/nature or in bars/nightlife, not really keen on meeting the locals either, so it got me thinking - wtf is the purpose of that? You basically spend your time in hostels that are all the same, together with other European (or "Western" in general sense) people similar to you, you have to save money as your trip is long term so you need to budget your savings, and so you're not really indulging into food, drinks, or local culture at all. I feel like I'm missing the point somewhere here.

Oh man, I know a lot of people who travel to foreign countries, and when they come back and you ask them how it was, they just tell you about the Hotel, because they never left it. I mean, I could maybe spend half a day at the pool, relaxing and all that, but I'm always too curious and eager to explorer and see something different and new every day. Meeting and seeing how the locals live, work etc. is one of the most fascinating things. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Oh man, I know a lot of people who travel to foreign countries, and when they come back and you ask them how it was, they just tell you about the Hotel, because they never left it. I mean, I could maybe spend half a day at the pool, relaxing and all that, but I'm always too curious and eager to explorer and see something different and new every day. Meeting and seeing how the locals live, work etc. is one of the most fascinating things. 

Short holiday I can understand; many people have just limited time off each year, and sometimes they just want to spend it simply relaxing by the pool or beach, and only choose certain countries because of the weather, etc. It's all fine and I get it. But the dude has literally been traveling for over 6 months now, that's what baffles me.

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

But the dude has literally been traveling for over 6 months now, that's what baffles me.

What is he trying to achieve? What is the aim of his journey? I mean, you can't really gather or experience much, if you just stay away from the locals. Maybe it's a social media thing, and he wants to impress his followers :35_thinking:xD

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

What is he trying to achieve? What is the aim of his journey? I mean, you can't really gather or experience much, if you just stay away from the locals. Maybe it's a social media thing, and he wants to impress his followers :35_thinking:xD

he doesn't even post anything, just a pic or two every few months haha. I don't know, that's what I asked him, he was unable to answer my question... that's why I'm wondering, I thought maybe that's a generational thing already (he's in his mid-20s) , as it seems he meets quite a few people in the hostels he sleeps at who are doing the same, so there must be some point, and I'm just trying to understand it xD 

3 hours ago, nudge said:

he doesn't even post anything, just a pic or two every few months haha. I don't know, that's what I asked him, he was unable to answer my question... that's why I'm wondering, I thought maybe that's a generational thing already (he's in his mid-20s) , as it seems he meets quite a few people in the hostels he sleeps at who are doing the same, so there must be some point, and I'm just trying to understand it xD 

Then it must be about getting laid. 

Anyway, how are you guys doing? What are your plans this weekend? Got a darts match tonight, and I have to buy a barrel of beer for the whole team, because that's a post-birthday tradition in our team. 50 € gone, but I'll make sure I'll drink most of it :D

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Have fun, Thomas.

No plans here, really. I'll watch some football + motorsports, and will have a few beers on the beach as it looks like the rainy season is about to hit us, so that's probably my last chance before it starts raining daily until September haha.

• Subscriber

That song's very fitting, and I'd gladly sleep until September xD 

Although I have a lot of stuff to do until then... Waiting for my new visa to arrive now, then have to sort out some other paperwork in the capital which means a lot of stupid bureaucracy, then move to a new place which is always a headache, then Vietnam and China trips are on the cards too, and when I get back I want to buy a bike as well... 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

That song's very fitting, and I'd gladly sleep until September xD 

Although I have a lot of stuff to do until then... Waiting for my new visa to arrive now, then have to sort out some other paperwork in the capital which means a lot of stupid bureaucracy, then move to a new place which is always a headache, then Vietnam and China trips are on the cards too, and when I get back I want to buy a bike as well... 

Motor or Push?? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Motor or Push?? 

Motor :) I'm moving to a smaller town where the odds of getting myself killed in the crazy traffic are significantly lower than my current place, so I thought I'd finally go for it xD 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Motor :) I'm moving to a smaller town where the odds of getting myself killed in the crazy traffic are significantly lower than my current place, so I thought I'd finally go for it xD 

Nice... You sound like you have a lot on in the next few months, I envy that in some respects and not in others.. The travelling aspect must be great, somewhere new to explore must be exciting but the moving part would be a royal pain in the arse...

The most excitement I will be getting over the next few months is when to get the skip to tear down the old play hut and then putting up a new play hut for Leelah... Going to returf the grass AGAIN!!! going to put that astro turf down this time because I am fed up of trying to get a decent bit of lawn up the back for the kids... 

So for me going from the house to the back of the garden about 50 times will be the only travelling I will be getting this summer, There will be some paperwork involved obviously when I sign off on the skip but at least they will come to me with that rather than me having to chase them up.. Leelah will no doubt want to help out which will speed the whole process up no end and I expect to endure my daughters expertise on putting up sheds as she tells me how best to do it even though that was my job for 2 years at one point.. xD

Thinking about it can I come with you please... :D 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice... You sound like you have a lot on in the next few months, I envy that in some respects and not in others.. The travelling aspect must be great, somewhere new to explore must be exciting but the moving part would be a royal pain in the arse...

The most excitement I will be getting over the next few months is when to get the skip to tear down the old play hut and then putting up a new play hut for Leelah... Going to returf the grass AGAIN!!! going to put that astro turf down this time because I am fed up of trying to get a decent bit of lawn up the back for the kids... 

So for me going from the house to the back of the garden about 50 times will be the only travelling I will be getting this summer, There will be some paperwork involved obviously when I sign off on the skip but at least they will come to me with that rather than me having to chase them up.. Leelah will no doubt want to help out which will speed the whole process up no end and I expect to endure my daughters expertise on putting up sheds as she tells me how best to do it even though that was my job for 2 years at one point.. xD

Thinking about it can I come with you please... :D 

Oh there's always two sides to every coin, right?... as much as I love traveling, experiencing new things and moving around, there are times when I think that maybe it'd be good to finally settle down and enjoy the comfort of a home like a normal person :ph34r:. Granted, knowing myself, I also know that I'd get bored of that in just a few months, so for now at least, I'll better keep on moving haha. You're welcome to come along after you're done with setting that new play hut up! :D 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Oh there's always two sides to every coin, right?... as much as I love traveling, experiencing new things and moving around, there are times when I think that maybe it'd be good to finally settle down and enjoy the comfort of a home like a normal person :ph34r:. Granted, knowing myself, I also know that I'd get bored of that in just a few months, so for now at least, I'll better keep on moving haha. You're welcome to come along after you're done with setting that new play hut up! :D 

Indeed... Not having done much travelling in my life I do have this desire to explore something new which I suppose comes from being settled and in the same routine.. Don't get me wrong, It's never boring but I do like to see new places and surroundings.. and like you say if you are on the move a reasonable amount every now and then you just think maybe it's time to settle... I suppose if I do get away to places even for short periods I have that comfort of knowing I do have somewhere settled to return to  where the family is.. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Indeed... Not having done much travelling in my life I do have this desire to explore something new which I suppose comes from being settled and in the same routine.. Don't get me wrong, It's never boring but I do like to see new places and surroundings.. and like you say if you are on the move a reasonable amount every now and then you just think maybe it's time to settle... I suppose if I do get away to places even for short periods I have that comfort of knowing I do have somewhere settled to return to  where the family is.. 

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and all that jazz :D 

• Haha 1