talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Set to Fast Track Young Referees

I'm amazed this dismal situation is set to get worse.

Referees chief Mike Riley may be forced to fast-track a group of young officials into Premier League action as his team comes under increasing fixture pressure, Sky Sports News understands.

The sacking of Bobby Madley in August, plus Roger East failing the start-of-season fitness test, has put added pressure on the 16 remaining officials.

East, 53, is yet to officiate a Premier League game this campaign, but Sky Sports Newsunderstands he has passed the fitness test in the last fortnight. However, once again, he will not be officiating this weekend.

Another top referee Simon Hooper has been injured since the start of the season, and is also yet to officiate a Premier League match.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes, what could go wrong with pushing through referees too quickly and without enough training...

Thing is the alternative is to promote "experience" from the leagues below, but if you've got experience then there must be something wrong with your refereeing if you haven't made the Premier League after all that time. 

Having been down in the Championship recently I can safely say that when it comes to the basics (not the big decisions) the referees down there are unbelievably bad in comparison to the Premier League. 

22 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes, what could go wrong with pushing through referees too quickly and without enough training...

At the same time there are proabably some referees that are good enough but have to go through the system. In my opinion that is wrong because if you are good enough you're experienced enough

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Who are the best referees used regularly in the Championship? Could they not get a chance if not already? Promote from within...?

I would imagine a system where referees can be promoted and demoted could work

Archived